Synergy Shadow Overflow Noise Question

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been a topic in the past but I think you guys can answer my question.

I am getting a whistling from the air hole in the main drain because, from what I can tell in videos, that entire curved main pipe should be fully submerged.

How do I fix this? Cut a shorter pipe and replace, adjust gate valve on drain?

Thank you in advance.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the Synergy Shadow itself, but from what I found online it is a Bean Animal arrangement, correct?

If so, then you are right - the main drain line needs to be fully submerged.

I'm a big believer in maximum flow rates so my first choice would be to cut the pipe shorter so the U-bend is further below the surface. Closing the gate valve will increase the water height in the overflow, but result in less flowcrate.

just my $0.02

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either drop the main siphon U pipe or get rid of it completely. The sole purpose of a U on the main is to prevent an air vortex, which usually doesn’t happen. I just use a strainer into the main bulkhead in the external box.

OP
OP
zukihara

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either drop the main siphon U pipe or get rid of it completely. The sole purpose of a U on the main is to prevent an air vortex, which usually doesn’t happen. I just use a strainer into the main bulkhead in the external box.
I hate to be dense, but can you point me to what type strainer you are using please?

And thank you both, guys.

Back