T-5 Question

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at changing my T-5 bulbs over my 75 gallon. I currently have 6 54 watt bulbs, 3 actininc and 3 "white" for lack of better terms. The bulbs came with my cheapy light fixture I bought off ebay, and I need to actually replace a ballast so I have all six running again. I've done some research and am pretty sure I want a fiji purple for at least one of the bulbs. I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar style set up and what type of bulbs do they run, or would they suggest. I'm a total novice at even understanding lighting and Kelvin ratings etc... For those that haven't seen my tank, I have a few softies, some LPS and SPS, and a clam. I'm just looking for some recommendations of what others have, or have seen, and like. I'm also asking this on the main forum as well as on the old forum that cannot be named... Thanks

Mr.BAdams

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the fiji purple bulbs. I would check out ATI's line of bulbs. I used three blue plus, one Fiji purple, one coral plus, and one aquablue special. It gave me really nice color with the hint of blue hue I wanted. If It's to blue for your taste you could always swap the coral plus out with another aquablue special, That's If you decide to go with ATI. I like the ATI brand because of the growth, The PAR numbers are unmatched.

OP
OP
Cruezn

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice Brian. I have heard good things about the fiji purple, and definitely want to try one. Any recommendation as far as order from front to back to put them in?

zsteph

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED is the only option. Nothing can compare to them.

Mr.BAdams

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I staggered mine, front to back: blue plus, aquablue special, blue plus, Fiji purple, blue plus, and aquablue special. This was before ATI came out with there Coral plus bulbs, when these come out I ordered one to try. I swapped it out with a aquablue special and kept it at that. Its a bit bluer then the aquablue specials and its suppose to have 10% purple specturm in it.

OP
OP
Cruezn

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to go to LED's, but trying to work with what I have...

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the ATI bulbs as well. It really comes down to what type of lighting looks best to you. The nice thing about having 6 T5 bulbs is that you can mix and match until you get what you want. I am using 2 blue plus, 1 purple plus, and 1 aquablue special on mine and it looks much better than what I had before to me.

cliferton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2x blue plus 1x purple plus and 1x coral plus. and 6x 1watt blue led (moonlights) thanks to the advice of the guys on here and bsl. I am happy with the ATI bulbs

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me too
I had the Red sea bulbs, changed to ATI aquablue, Blue plus, purple plus and I use one Giesemann Midday bulb to get the whole spectrum. It made it less bluish but my coral is really happy and growing.
Go to ReefGeek and check out the spectra

OP
OP
Cruezn

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the input. I ordered one Fiji purple, one ati coral plus and 4 ati blue pluses. I'll let you know how it turns out. I never realized there were so many bulb/color options.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the combo I an running right now. It's a 20 k blue look. If you decide to change you can swap out one blue plus to an aqua blue special

Mr.BAdams

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want, I have a few 48" aquablue specials you could try. there not brand new, they have about 3-4 months on them.

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news guys.
Found out today BSL will be carrying the full line of ATI bulbs and have order access to the ATI T5 Fixtures, ATI T5-LED
Fixtures (coming soon), and PowerCone I-Series Skimmers.

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news guys.
Found out today BSL will be carrying the full line of ATI bulbs and have order access to the ATI T5 Fixtures, ATI T5-LED
Fixtures (coming soon), and PowerCone I-Series Skimmers.
Like!
we are lucky to have LFS that listens to what we need and like, keep up the good work, friend!

OP
OP
Cruezn

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I felt guilty about buying online vs locally, but as of Monday, BSL said they couldn't get ATI. Would much rather buy locally, and going forward it seems that we have that option. Thanks Dave.

OP
OP
Cruezn

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian, I just might take you up on your offer on a couple of your aqua blue specials. It'll be nice to have the option to play with different colors. I went to ATI's website and used their recommended setup. I did use a Fiji purple instead of ATI's, just cause I want to see what the fuss is all about.

OP
OP
Cruezn

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanodoc, I'm loving the Pocillopra. It's doing great, and is gorgeous.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 109 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back