T. suesica Heterotrophy Adaptation

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This may be a bit in the weeds but I have a blended live phyto culture of Tetraselmis and Nannochloropsis. As an experiment, I want to see if I can isolate the Tetraselmis via hetertrophy. My understanding is that Tet. reacts quite positively to heterotrophic culture methods while Nanno does not.

I was reading this paper and the section describing the heterotrophic method, it mentions that the culture was acclimated from a 24hr light schedule to strict heterotrophy by gradually decreasing the light schedule. My question is whether this is actually necessary. Is this something that I should do or can I just try putting the jar in the dark with an air pump?
The adaptation of an autotrophic to a heterotrophic culture of T. suecica was carried out in 100-mL glass photobioreactors with a diameter of 3.0 cm and constant temperature (21 °C). A batch culture system was started. The reduction of the photoperiod illumination time was progressive (light:dark) 12:12 (288h), 8:16 (228h), 4:20 (240h), 3:21 (156h), 2:22 (168h) and 0:24.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a bit in the weeds but I have a blended live phyto culture of Tetraselmis and Nannochloropsis. As an experiment, I want to see if I can isolate the Tetraselmis via hetertrophy. My understanding is that Tet. reacts quite positively to heterotrophic culture methods while Nanno does not.

I was reading this paper and the section describing the heterotrophic method, it mentions that the culture was acclimated from a 24hr light schedule to strict heterotrophy by gradually decreasing the light schedule. My question is whether this is actually necessary. Is this something that I should do or can I just try putting the jar in the dark with an air pump?
I don’t know for sure, but I’d guess that the gradual decrease would likely result is better survival rates from the culture than a sudden cutoff. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if enough survived for a sudden change to work - so I’d guess it’s not completely necessary.

Personally, if no one else has a better response for you, I’d say to split the culture and try setting one half in total darkness while gradually decreasing the light for other.

Either way, if you try it, let us know how it goes.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back