T.W.'s 20 gallon Nano

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information Albert! I am only checking ammonia right now, although I did test PH (8.0) just to get a base line number. I am checking ammonia daily, which is probably overkill but it gives me something to do with the tank instead of staring at it LOL. I do get to explain the Nitrogen Cycle numerous times to family members when they see that piece of shrimp in my tank. The first thing they say is "WHY". Then I get to sound smart and explain it to them. And then I get to smile at the blank look on their face as I talk water chemistry!

I look forward to a thriving Reef!!! A lot more work than any FW tank I have ever had but it will be so worth it. Plus I am retired so this keeps me off the streets!:angel:

Indeed it is a lot of fun indeed explaining it to those who have no idea about what we are doing around and on our tanks. Sometimes they wonder whether we are taking care of the water rather than of our fish and corals and it does seem like that sometimes ... but they do not realize how important that part of it is to the life forms we keep.

Not sure if you have seen the traditional and newer view article on the cycle so here is an interesting link :

Aquarium Chemistry: The Nitrogen Cycle: New Developments and New Prospects — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish First???

Thanks for the link Albert. The cycle is moving along nicely. Ammonia is up to 1.0ppm this morning.
I have decided on what I will be using as a CUC crew once the cycle is done.

My next question is: When it is time, should the Clowns go in first? I have read that adding slowly is key so that the bacteria has time to adjust, I understand that part. The 2 Clowns will be my only fish. The Corals will be a combination or Zoanthid, Ricordea, maybe a Duncan, and a Candy Cane, although that may change.

Also any thoughts on what combo of Clowns? I was thinking True Percs, BUT seeing all the other varieties has sparked curiosity. Picasso's are really cool but alas my money tree died when I got married:cry:. With that said I am looking to spend maybe $150-$200 for a pair (I know that's not much but it is what I decided to allow for price) plus this is my first SW tank so I don't feel comfortable dropping anymore into my first fish in case something goes terribly wrong.

I am wanting to support the personally owned businesses and sponsors here with my livestock purchases. FYI: I am probably a month out from adding fish

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link Albert. The cycle is moving along nicely. Ammonia is up to 1.0ppm this morning.
I have decided on what I will be using as a CUC crew once the cycle is done.

My next question is: When it is time, should the Clowns go in first? I have read that adding slowly is key so that the bacteria has time to adjust, I understand that part. The 2 Clowns will be my only fish. The Corals will be a combination or Zoanthid, Ricordea, maybe a Duncan, and a Candy Cane, although that may change.

Also any thoughts on what combo of Clowns? I was thinking True Percs, BUT seeing all the other varieties has sparked curiosity. Picasso's are really cool but alas my money tree died when I got married:cry:. With that said I am looking to spend maybe $150-$200 for a pair (I know that's not much but it is what I decided to allow for price) plus this is my first SW tank so I don't feel comfortable dropping anymore into my first fish in case something goes terribly wrong.

I am wanting to support the personally owned businesses and sponsors here with my livestock purchases. FYI: I am probably a month out from adding fish

Onve the tank is cycled I would add the corals first and not add them all that the same time. Add for instance some Zoas and the Duncan and then wait a week or so then add maybe the 2 Clowns and then wait a week and then add the other corals, or you can add the other corals and the clowns like a few days later. Make sure you dip your clowns so there is no disease introduced and get clowns that are fairly small.

An as to your budget : with $150 you can get some real nice clowns and I would go with Percula and Ocellaris and not with the hybrids, but maybe a regular one and a black/white one or two Perculas would look quite nice too. Note that Perculas are rather specific on which anemones they like so if you are going to put one in and you want them to host it it has to be a Heteractis magnifica or a Stychodactyla mertensii but if you feel they are too large for your tank, and they do get large, and can get very large if they do well, the clowns will do fine without an anemone.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. I would love to have the symbiotic relationship in my tank but I am not going to put an anemone in. I have heard of Clowns hosting other-than-anemone so maybe I can find something suitable for my tank. I do have a 6" x 8" sandy spot, and if you include the island rock there to the back the area increases to 8"x12". Maybe I can get something to park there? But if not as long as everyone in the tank is happy I'm happy:tongue:
r2r_open_spot.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Albert. I would love to have the symbiotic relationship in my tank but I am not going to put an anemone in. I have heard of Clowns hosting other-than-anemone so maybe I can find something suitable for my tank. I do have a 6" x 8" sandy spot, and if you include the island rock there to the back the area increases to 8"x12". Maybe I can get something to park there? But if not as long as everyone in the tank is happy I'm happy:tongue:

Yes they will, I have seen then host just about anything that has tentacles bit it may not be the best for that coral but then again no one has ever proven it except for Gonio an Alveo. so you can probably try one of the Euphyllia ones or a Duncan if it has enough heads and longer type tentacles.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a nice pair of clowns for $150 probably less. I like all the designer clowns but they're way over my budget.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Designers are sexy looking but a bit more than I want to spend on my first tank. I will probably go with a pair of True Perc's. I have seen pairs selling for under a $100.
I am hoping to find someone on R2R to get them from. I am all about supporting the small business or private breeder.:bigsmile:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Designers are sexy looking but a bit more than I want to spend on my first tank. I will probably go with a pair of True Perc's. I have seen pairs selling for under a $100.
I am hoping to find someone on R2R to get them from. I am all about supporting the small business or private breeder.:bigsmile:

Way to go +1

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Luke my plumbing has been working flawlessly and its silent too. The only time it makes noise is when the weir tube gets 3/4 of the way down, but since I made my final adjustment to the valve it never falls that far down. It rises and falls an inch or so due to the return pump but I believe that's normal..
I will try to get a video of it posted tomorrow or maybe later tonight once everyone goes to bed and the living room is cleared out.

I am getting excited to make some livestock purchases in the near future. After my CUC I think I am going to add a Ricordea and maybe 2 zoanthids to start. Then my 2 Clowns. And then go from there. If it doesn't seem like a huge bio-load I might add a sand sifting goby or 2 down the road. Who knows though, that could be well over the load limits of this tank.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems okay with me. I'd recommend adding clowns last as they're bullies. The corals should work well.

CUC probably will need some algae growing first. What's developing on the tank walls and rocks?

Have you started testing alk, cal, mag yet? I started dosing but I still need to pick up a magnesium test kit and magnesium.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Video

Here's a short video of my Overflow set up. All credit goes to those named in the Description.
[video=youtube;0NnAAmcFffo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NnAAmcFffo&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Ok I am not a professional video-graph-er so I apologize:tongue:. I am really pleased with this plumbing. It is supper quiet and saved me a ton of money.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works great. If I cut power to the pump, the water in the weir is siphoned out but thats all. Then when power is restored to the pump the overflow is self starting again. It is nice and cheap. I could have made it cheaper by not ordering the clear pvc for the weir ($25) but I wanted to do it up as nice as I could.
Here is a link to the video on youtube: DIY Overflow for my Reef Aquarium - YouTube. In the description is another link to the guy who I got the idea from. He has a couple videos and a diagram of the whole overflow so it is really easy to make.

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I thought yours looked pretty clean, something I'd like to replicate lol!

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Clear PVC from flexpvc.com. They sell it by the foot. I needed 2 foot and it cost me 15.02 + 10 shipping. But I think it was worth it to have the look. And it is schedule 40 so all the regular fittings work perfectly.
If you have any questions feel free to post em here or send me a pm. I will tell you what I know. I will even take a better video if that will help you.

OP
OP
T.W.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I pulled the ammonia source since the cycle has started. Now we wait...and wait...and wait . This is the tough part for sure. I was asking Albert about something I saw in my tank the past few days. After looking at pics, I think it may be feather dusters. Gives me something to look at until I can get some livestock put in. I doubt they will make it through the cycle but who knows right?
Water Parameters as of this morning:
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 0-20 ( gotta love "guess that color" accuracy huh?)
SG 1.026 (will drop this to 1.025 with first water change)
Temp 78 F ( I was thinking my return pump would help heat a bit more giving the 50w heater a break but I am going to add a second 50w heater shortly)
pH 8.0

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back