T5 Bulb Combination (ATI - 8x80W)

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

End of this month I'm moving houses and hence I'm getting a new tank, a Red Sea Reefer XL 525. Since this tank is slightly wider than my current tank I have decided to buy a new lighting system as well. Currently I'm using a LED/T5 custom made hybrid fixture with 4x54w T5, being 2x ATI Blue+ and 2x ATI Coral+ (combined with 2x 120w LED). Since I have very good experience with the Blue+ and Coral+ bulbs in my current tank, see image below, I have decided I want an all-ATI bulb setup for my new tank.

The fixture for my new tank will be a Giesemann Matrixx II Dimtec 8x80w which is dimmable in 3-2-3 bulbs. The corals I have in my current tank will also migrate to the new tank, so it will be a mixed reef with a healthy mix of SPS, LPS and Zoa's.

Giesemann-Matrixx-II-T5HO.jpg

Since I have a ~500L tank and 640w of light, I have some "spare" watts that I can use to run actinic bulbs as well, and hence my current setup would be (grouped in 3-2-3 from back to front):

1 - ATI Coral+
2 - ATI Actinic
3 - ATI Coral+
-------------------------------
4 - ATI Blue+ (dusk/dawn)
5 - ATI Actinic (dusk/dawn)
-------------------------------
6 - ATI Coral+
7 - ATI Blue+
8 - ATI Coral+

Would you consider this a good setup, and/or do you have any suggestions how to make it more balanced/better for a mixed reef? It might be a little on the blue side but I hesitate on using the Aquablue Special bulbs since the Coral+ bulb also has some of these characteristics.

Thanks in advance, and I wish you a very happy and healthy 2016!

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 Coral plus will be a very white look. I have a ATI 8 bulb fixture and I only use 1 coral plus, 1 aqua blue special, 2 purple plus and 4 blue plus.

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's surprising, since the Coral plus bulb consists of 50% aquabluespecial, 40% blue+ and 10% purple+... Would you recommend an extra blue + instead of a coral +?

OP
OP
p0st

p0st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed your advice and I have 3x Blue+, 3x Coral+ and 2x Actinic now
Eagerly awaiting the tank transfer on Saturday to see how the new lighting (and tank!) perform :)

iLLwiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb waiting to go over a growout. planning on 4 blue+, 1 actinic, 2 coral +, and a fiji purple.

I've heard the best combo for growth is 4 blue+ and 4 coral+ tho so that's probably going to be my go to after I use the current bulbs on hand.

SteveySingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Matrixx II eight bulb today and I'm eager to hear how your setup turns out. Thanks for posting this!

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looks like this I like a crisp color

BP
Euro E5 blue pop
ABS
BP
BP
CP
Euro E5 blue pop
BP

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like them they are my first ones on and last ones off. From what I can tell though my other bulbs put out better par then the E5s but it puts a really nice RB color in the tank

choco24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... after deciding on what to go with on my next light set up. This is what I came up with.. please give me your opinions.

BP
BP
CP
BP
BP
PP
CP
BP

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back