T5 Bulb PAR Database?

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested PAR in my tank with a BTM 3000. The tank is 40 x 21 x 21 and I have a 36 inch 8 bulb Sunpower with 4 blue plus, 1 coral plus, 2 actinic and 1 6,500k. PAR with new bulbs is around 200 in the sand and 300-400 in the whole tank. At 12 months I've noticed about a 20-25% decrease in PAR and about a 30% total PAR reduction at 18 months. What I've noticed is that the big decrease in PAR is in the first 12 months, after that you could easily get 2 years out of a bulb without losing much par but the main concern at that bulb age should be spectrum shifts.

I love LEDs but recently I tried achieving the same par results over my tank with 3 XR15 G6 PROs and at 100% intensity, they only hit about 100 par at the sand. I took them down and installed my T5s again. You could probably achieve the same PAR results with maybe 4 or 5 XR15s or 2 XR30s but now you're looking to spend around $2k+ in lighting.

Market trends are trying to stay away from T5s, maybe because they don't own a T5 company yet, but people on a budget should seriously consider them.
I'm quite surprised that 3 xr15s at 100% are about half the PAR at the same area. I'm glad I switched to T5s a while ago. I have been itching to get a meter on my tank to see where I'm at but it's impossible to find one locally.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the ballasts power the bulbs , is there any difference with bulb output depending on different brand fixtures ? In theory they should all produce the same light ?
Individual reflectors and ATI units strategically cool the hotspot of the bulbs for maximum efficiency and output.

That being said I think the grow units are fine to use if you have PAR to spare/lose.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The type of reflectors, the environment it's working, temperature, distance between fixture and sensor, type of sensor, the position (so many variables just here!) of the sensor, ambient light during the measurements (!!!), and so many more variables apply to the PAR measurements.
The temperature inside of the fixture, using the fans to help that out, like in the ATI fixture, will dictate the efficiency and the life of each lamp. Humidity, ambient temperature and even dust in the air will play with that internal temperature of the fixture and results in the long run. That's why it's so important to keep those fans nice and clean. Amazing results!
Love T5s!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back