T5 coral placement

Currierfarms14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I switched from black box LED to a 6 bulb T5. I have 4 B+ and 2 C+. My lights sit approximately 8 inches above my tank. I have coral in different places in the tank. Over the last 6 months my levels have been stable (yes they are the desired levels) that are tested every couple days. My tank is a bowfront that’s 22 inches tall. I have had almost no growth, but not many corals are dying. Do you think my lights are too high with that size tank? I will send a pic as you can see I have zoas, anemones, leathers, Lps.

image.jpg

OP
OP
C

Currierfarms14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been over 6 months.. do you think I should put them directly on the rim to see if they are needing more light?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been over 6 months.. do you think I should put them directly on the rim to see if they are needing more light?
that should be plenty of light without knowing exactly I'd bet to say it's getting 150par or more in most spots, which should be plenty of light for those corals.

I've had 21' tanks with 4 bulb t5 with similar lamps and mounting height and lots of zoas and soft corals.

a change of light source could take 6 months to adjust they may take off any day now!

you can lower it but I wouldn't think it would be necessary or good to put it on the rim of the tank that's to low and the salt creep alone is a good reason to keep it up 6" or more , plus you get better spread up there, I'd give it some time or look in other places for improvement and adjustment.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my 4 bulb fixture 2 inches above the tank. Everything did fine. Your fixture is 50% bigger. I would leave it and see how things go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back