T5 fixture for the Nuvo 20 ?

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community! So I have a dilemma at the moment. So for a while I’ve been trying to think about my lighting. I am just about to cycle the tank soon and I started looking for schedules on my AI prime 16HD. I realized I have ran I to a problem. My nuvo is 24 inches long. I thought maybe an AI prime would get me to those LPS levels but through researching, I have figured that the light would have to be ran on max to get par on the ends of the tank. I don’t want to struggle with spread and having to maybe rent a par meter in the future. I kind of want to maybe get a t5 fixture instead of having to deal with all these problems. I just don’t know where to start. What brand are there to chose from? What do I have to keep in mind with t5? How expensive do they get? I heard they’re pretty cheap for the most part and I won’t any lights that will break the bank. Any help? Thank you!

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the AI prime I would look at a hybrid LED/T5 fixture. An example is in the link below. if you are handy you can get a kit and make your own t5 fixture, but then you will also need to make something to mount them/hang them from. I had a canopy so I went this route, but without a canopy I would have gone a pre-made fixture. Note the fixtures do not include the bulbs.

For the t5s you will need to change them out every 15-18 months and the 24 inch fixtures should be around $80-$100 to replace. I run a hybrid with Radions and the t5 bulbs I use are the ATI blue plus bulbs. Good luck on your lights.

24-hybrid-t5ho-4x24w-fixture-aquatic-life.html

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the nuvo 20 like you and the hybrid fixtures are too wide front to back to work well on small tanks.

If you can get you hands on an OLD Aquaticlife 4bulb T5 they fit but they are long since discontinued.

I personally uss a single AI Prime 16HD and get perfect coverage (80-160 PAR) Top to bottom. Side to side. Perfect for LPS/Softies which is exactly what I have. I would highly recommend. If you are worried about coverage, go 2 and lower the power.

I got my settings from BRS. I love the color. But slight adjustments for color shoukd not have a major impact on PAR.

Light is 14" above the water.
Screenshot_20201222-145914_myAI.jpg
20201217_200928.jpg

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted this setup on the IM20 FB page. I think it looks great. I was looking into setting a hybrid setup myself but put that on hold as I'm working on tank issue and planning to move soon.

FB_IMG_1608667807884.jpg

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the nuvo 20 like you and the hybrid fixtures are too wide front to back to work well on small tanks.

If you can get you hands on an OLD Aquaticlife 4bulb T5 they fit but they are long since discontinued.

I personally uss a single AI Prime 16HD and get perfect coverage (80-160 PAR) Top to bottom. Side to side. Perfect for LPS/Softies which is exactly what I have. I would highly recommend. If you are worried about coverage, go 2 and lower the power.

I got my settings from BRS. I love the color. But slight adjustments for color shoukd not have a major impact on PAR.

Light is 14" above the water.
Screenshot_20201222-145914_myAI.jpg
20201217_200928.jpg
Yeah I’m trying to get my tank up and running but I read a lot of forums that state that a single AI isn’t strong enough for this tank. It looks like it is however. I’m planning on selling my current tank sadly and buy a peninsula mini 15 from water box. I love this tank and in all honesty i love the setup I have so I don’t want to sell it but I was really only concerned about the par distribution. So what do you guys think? Should I stick with it? I also contacted BRS and they told me the AI can reach the spectrum for all types of LPS which brought joy to my heart haha. I don’t need the light on anytime soon as I wouldn’t grow coral until may so I believe I may just fill it up and start the cycle as I already have all my resources ready just wasn’t too sure on the par level. I will probably rent a par meter April and go with that.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank

Attachments

• 60660282-C52A-49EE-B0EC-5084C20FECB6.jpeg
    60660282-C52A-49EE-B0EC-5084C20FECB6.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 40
  • D173925A-B919-4FCE-82F9-F762A6144ED0.jpeg
    D173925A-B919-4FCE-82F9-F762A6144ED0.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 67

frank1203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend ATI 4 or 6 bulb fixture. You’ll get more coverage. OR you can add some retrofit to your hydras if you want to go hybrid.

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m trying to get my tank up and running but I read a lot of forums that state that a single AI isn’t strong enough for this tank. It looks like it is however. I’m planning on selling my current tank sadly and buy a peninsula mini 15 from water box. I love this tank and in all honesty i love the setup I have so I don’t want to sell it but I was really only concerned about the par distribution. So what do you guys think? Should I stick with it? I also contacted BRS and they told me the AI can reach the spectrum for all types of LPS which brought joy to my heart haha. I don’t need the light on anytime soon as I wouldn’t grow coral until may so I believe I may just fill it up and start the cycle as I already have all my resources ready just wasn’t too sure on the par level. I will probably rent a par meter April and go with that.
Go the prime. I had an old Aquaticlife T5 and loved it but nit made any longer.

AI is about $210...new 4 bulb ATI is twice that. Idk your budget. If funds are no issue go t5.....tried and true. Otherwise AI will handle your tank no issues.

Like I said 14" off water and I get 80-160 par top to bottom, side to side in your exact tank....nice even coverage and great color and control ability.

Want more PAR for sps? Lower the light a bit or buy a second light and still in same ranger as ATI with more control over color and intensity

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go the prime. I had an old Aquaticlife T5 and loved it but nit made any longer.

AI is about $210...new 4 bulb ATI is twice that. Idk your budget. If funds are no issue go t5.....tried and true. Otherwise AI will handle your tank no issues.

Like I said 14" off water and I get 80-160 par top to bottom, side to side in your exact tank....nice even coverage and great color and control ability.

Want more PAR for sps? Lower the light a bit or buy a second light and still in same ranger as ATI with more control over color and intensity
I really appreciate the help! Yes i only want to grow LPS and Zoas , I’m actually looking into maybe buying the peninsula 15 , it’s a really great size tank and IMO would fit the AI prime better with lower intensity. I’m still debating whether or not to sell off this tank for the peninsula mini 15, i don’t want to be running my AI on full Blast either as the fan can get quite loud, especially since The tank is my room , where I do all my studies for college. I’m really not looking on spending much more many at the moment as my budget is tight. Thank you for your time guys I really appreciate the help, advice, etc! I hope soon to have the tank running up and by then I will tell you guys if I made the switch or not. Merry Christmas as well!

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the help! Yes i only want to grow LPS and Zoas , I’m actually looking into maybe buying the peninsula 15 , it’s a really great size tank and IMO would fit the AI prime better with lower intensity. I’m still debating whether or not to sell off this tank for the peninsula mini 15, i don’t want to be running my AI on full Blast either as the fan can get quite loud, especially since The tank is my room , where I do all my studies for college. I’m really not looking on spending much more many at the moment as my budget is tight. Thank you for your time guys I really appreciate the help, advice, etc! I hope soon to have the tank running up and by then I will tell you guys if I made the switch or not. Merry Christmas as well!
Fan barely runs and I have it maxed out. Only runs if I'm cooking and the apartment gets hot. Otherwise passive is all it needs.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community! So I have a dilemma at the moment. So for a while I’ve been trying to think about my lighting. I am just about to cycle the tank soon and I started looking for schedules on my AI prime 16HD. I realized I have ran I to a problem. My nuvo is 24 inches long. I thought maybe an AI prime would get me to those LPS levels but through researching, I have figured that the light would have to be ran on max to get par on the ends of the tank. I don’t want to struggle with spread and having to maybe rent a par meter in the future. I kind of want to maybe get a t5 fixture instead of having to deal with all these problems. I just don’t know where to start. What brand are there to chose from? What do I have to keep in mind with t5? How expensive do they get? I heard they’re pretty cheap for the most part and I won’t any lights that will break the bank. Any help? Thank you!
The Sunpowers are cheap and will last your lifetime!
ATI 6 bulb non-dimmable Sunpower fxture, no need any LEDs.
24" X 6 bulbs is about $500.00.
You will keep basically any coral you want under a Sunpower!
Bulb combination based on Blue Plus and Coral Plus or 10K bulbs.
Problem solved once for all!

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sunpowers are cheap and will last your lifetime!
ATI 6 bulb non-dimmable Sunpower fxture, no need any LEDs.
24" X 6 bulbs is about $500.00.
You will keep basically any coral you want under a Sunpower!
Bulb combination based on Blue Plus and Coral Plus or 10K bulbs.
Problem solved once for all!
Agree T5 are great but you are talking $500, or about 400 for a 4bulb vs $210 for an LED that will fit his needs with perfect spread and PAR for what he wants to keep.

I love T5 but I just couldn't justify the extra $200 when my T5 fixture died on me. Love the new AI and have no complaints

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....dude just buy a 24" t5 fixture from amazon. They are 100$ then 4 bulbs that is 80$ then a hanging kit 10$. The ati fixtures are just insanely overpriced for no reason.

Attachments

• 20201202_164604.jpg
    20201202_164604.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 50

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree T5 are great but you are talking $500, or about 400 for a 4bulb vs $210 for an LED that will fit his needs with perfect spread and PAR for what he wants to keep.

I love T5 but I just couldn't justify the extra $200 when my T5 fixture died on me. Love the new AI and have no complaints
Not true can be done for 180$

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be loud fully ramped up, but I keep my apartment at 70F and I've yet to have it turn on unless I'm baking in the iver for a prolonged time.
is your fan shutdown in enabled or disabled? I use to you with those settings and found that enabling my lights adjusted to the heat of the light. Disabling kept the fan running but at a low rpm, not sure if that would lead to the light overheating?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back