T5 Hybrid: To Go Dimmable vs Non-Dimmable

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get the Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture, either in the 36" or 48" depending on the tank size, paired with 2 or 3 Ecotech Marine XR15 G5 Blues. Would you go dimmable or go with the non-dimmable fixtures and why?

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-dim.

have your LED’s do the ramping and turn the T5 on when the LED’s are fully ramped. That’s what I would do.

Reasoning: cheaper fixture, and if I’m not mistaken don’t bulbs need to be broken in before they can be dimmed properly?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a dimmable ati 8 bulb 48" fixture and would recommend the ability to dim.
pros: allows natural and gradual lighting, alllows adjustment if things are too bright without having to omit bulbs.
cons: bulbs specify to not be dimmed in the first 50 hours meaning i separately burn bulbs in before i can implement them into my schedule. added expense

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have non dimmable with my kessils to ramp up and down. There is no benefit for dimming really. Breaking in the bulbs is a pain as well, and the fixture is a lot more. You also need a controller to dim the bulbs or they run at 100% I believe. Just want worth it IMO.i ramp up the LEDs for morning, run 8 hours of that 100%, and ramp the LEDS back down at night.

mwoodard14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this setup in a 36” fixture without dimmer and use 2 Radion XR15 pros with it. To be honest with you I often find myself wondering if I need the T5’s with all the Radions have to offer.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Non-dim.

have your LED’s do the ramping and turn the T5 on when the LED’s are fully ramped. That’s what I would do.

Reasoning: cheaper fixture, and if I’m not mistaken don’t bulbs need to be broken in before they can be dimmed properly?
This would be my line of thought as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back