T5/LED Hybrid

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not even sure how to ask this but here it goes.. I was thinking about getting a T5 8 bulb fixture and taking the middle lights out and inserting leds and making it a hybrid.

For a 90 gallon tank, how many watts per bulb would i need (helping a fiend build it out) ? I see 39, 54 watts etc. tank is standard 48 inches long.

might get new ballast from brs and reflectors while we at it.
how can I avoid having 3-4 power cables going out the light fixture? any links to wiring this would be great.

t5/led hybrid new 1400-1800 bucks... when we done hope to spend half that or less if possible.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not even sure how to ask this but here it goes.. I was thinking about getting a T5 8 bulb fixture and taking the middle lights out and inserting leds and making it a hybrid.

For a 90 gallon tank, how many watts per bulb would i need (helping a fiend build it out) ? I see 39, 54 watts etc. tank is standard 48 inches long.

might get new ballast from brs and reflectors while we at it.
how can I avoid having 3-4 power cables going out the light fixture? any links to wiring this would be great.

t5/led hybrid new 1400-1800 bucks... when we done hope to spend half that or less if possible.
39 watt bulbs are for 36" long fixtures, 54 watt bulbs are for 48" fixtures, etc... you would want a 48" fixture I assume, so 54 watts would be your man.

You can certainly DIY yourself some LEDs in the middle of the fixture, but you will want to ask yourself some questions. What color spectrum do the LEDs work at? Are they adjustable? How will you make sure to keep them well ventilated? Will you be able to dim the LEDs to avoid PAR levels that are too high? What is the spread of these LEDs?

All questions except the ventilation question only matter if your friend plans to keep corals.

As far as wiring, you can buy cords with plugs on one end and bare wiring on the other, and then you can cut the cords to your lights down, strip them, and use wire nuts to put all white wires (Nuetrals) together, all black wires (Hots) together, and all grounds together (green or bare copper). This will of course mean that the lights can't be turned on separately... just as a unit. You could always get two from Home Depot and splice all T5s together on one, and all LEDs together on the other. Then you would be able to turn each type of light on separately.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
39 watt bulbs are for 36" long fixtures, 54 watt bulbs are for 48" fixtures, etc... you would want a 48" fixture I assume, so 54 watts would be your man.

You can certainly DIY yourself some LEDs in the middle of the fixture, but you will want to ask yourself some questions. What color spectrum do the LEDs work at? Are they adjustable? How will you make sure to keep them well ventilated? Will you be able to dim the LEDs to avoid PAR levels that are too high? What is the spread of these LEDs?

All questions except the ventilation question only matter if your friend plans to keep corals.

As far as wiring, you can buy cords with plugs on one end and bare wiring on the other, and then you can cut the cords to your lights down, strip them, and use wire nuts to put all white wires (Nuetrals) together, all black wires (Hots) together, and all grounds together (green or bare copper). This will of course mean that the lights can't be turned on separately... just as a unit. You could always get two from Home Depot and splice all T5s together on one, and all LEDs together on the other. Then you would be able to turn each type of light on separately.
good points. I will keep that in mind. I think he plans on doing hydra 26 (2) and 2 t5 front and back. ventilation? lol yea good question. i dont know yet. might have to do a custom job on this one. issue is his wife wants something "pretty" i told her then pay the 1800 bucks :)

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a standard 90g four foot long tank.
i think option
Option#1 2 ecotech radion or 2 hydra 52 would be enough give you enough coverage.
Option #2: if you go ATI hybrid, a 4 bulbs/Led hybrid is enough for the 90g tank , 8 bulbs is too too much because the 90g tank is not that wide

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a standard 90g four foot long tank.
i think option
Option#1 2 ecotech radion or 2 hydra 52 would be enough give you enough coverage.
Option #2: if you go ATI hybrid, a 4 bulbs/Led hybrid is enough for the 90g tank , 8 bulbs is too too much because the 90g tank is not that wide
Hey appreciate the feedback but I would never use the full 8 bulb on there. the point is to do a hybrid not one or the other.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to watch out for with the T5 fixture would be to make sure the sockets are water resistant enough to avoid frying with water spray. Or make sure the whole fixture is high enough that he wouldn't get any spray

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to watch out for with the T5 fixture would be to make sure the sockets are water resistant enough to avoid frying with water spray. Or make sure the whole fixture is high enough that he wouldn't get any spray
Yes I think he is planning 10-12 inches from the water.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back