T5 + LED (Radions mostly) - How's it going for you?!

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your tank looks fantastic! What did you modify on the AB+ program? Are you running diffusers?

Thanks!
No diffusers, I lowered both white channels and the green and red to 20 percent. The red tapers to 10 percent over the main photo period. There is a 3 hour ramp up with the blue channels in the AM, and in the PM, with an extended low level blue ramp down in the evening so I can view the tank until I go to bed.
Looks like this:

radion snip.JPG

OP
OP
North Borders

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
No diffusers, I lowered both white channels and the green and red to 20 percent. The red tapers to 10 percent over the main photo period. There is a 3 hour ramp up with the blue channels in the AM, and in the PM, with an extended low level blue ramp down in the evening so I can view the tank until I go to bed.
Looks like this:

How long do you run your T5's for? How far off the surface do you have your unit?

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting growth but colors starting to fade running C+, B+, C+, B+. I run them for 8 hours all on and then off, with Radions supplementing for about 12 hours a day set to ramp on the AB+ schedule until about 6pm and then they decrease down to a night blue level.
If your colors are fading, you probably have too long of a light period. Or too high of an intensity.

OP
OP
North Borders

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think that's my issue. I originally ramped my t5's up to 6 hours and then 7 and then 8. I didn't think it was the lighting, but now it's starting to make sense reading other's experiences. I think I might knock the t5's down to 4 hours a day. I just realized I wasn't even running the AB+ program. I had just blues and UV's picked somehow and was running those for like 8 hours with the t5's, so yeah probably fading the corals out due to that. I'm going to switch that back to the AB+ program and run a schedule similar to Rossco's while knocking the intensity down a bit to start and see if I can't get some color back.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think that's my issue. I originally ramped my t5's up to 6 hours and then 7 and then 8. I didn't think it was the lighting, but now it's starting to make sense reading other's experiences. I think I might knock the t5's down to 4 hours a day. I just realized I wasn't even running the AB+ program. I had just blues and UV's picked somehow and was running those for like 8 hours with the t5's, so yeah probably fading the corals out due to that. I'm going to switch that back to the AB+ program and run a schedule similar to Rossco's while knocking the intensity down a bit to start and see if I can't get some color back.
How’s it working for you?

OP
OP
North Borders

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it working for you?

Seemed to be going fairly well. I got about 2 weeks into the new schedule and things were starting to look a bit better. Then I had to move apartments so rebooted the tank at the new place and completely redid the aquascape. So it'll probably be a month or so before the corals calm down and I can start to really play with the lighting. I did swap my bulbs to 2 blue+ and 2 actinic. Also changed the Radion programming over to what WWC is running on their show tanks (essentially a tweaked AB+ schedule). I was starting to raise the light off the water more in the couple weeks before the move and in the new place I currently have it about 14" off the water line.

SrBlonde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 Radion XR30's with 2 60 inch T5 Blue Plus over my 6 foot 210. My tank is mature, and I was running an 8 bulb T5 retro with a Reefbrite blue strip until I changed in April. Growth is still good and colors are fantastic. I run a modified AB+ program at 65 percent. The T5's run for only 4 hours.

Here's the photo I posted in the side shot thread last week.

IMG_2292d.jpg
Do you have any LPS I your tank. If so, how are they doing?

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any LPS I your tank. If so, how are they doing?

None really to speak of anymore. I had some sort of event that wiped out nearly all of my Chalices and all of my Acans and Scolys a year or so ago, and haven't replaced them yet. I do have a couple of chalice frags in there from my spare colonies in the frag tank, and they are doing fine now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back