T5/LED vs T5/Metal Hallide

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when I lived in the Midwest with 100 degree and 100% humidity days, fans could keep my tanks cool. I needed to turn the fans with the halides and not get cute and wait until the tank rose a degree or two and then had to start to chase.

Chiller is not the end of the world if you have a fish room or in-wall tank. When I did use one, it was kinda nice because it came on in the late afternoon or evening and then warmed the room up so that the heaters did not have to run as much at night. Chiller is only really an issue if you keep the running heat in the room where you are.

Exactly! That's what happens here most of the time! It comes ON afternoon time and it's really not a big issue! Main thing is to get a unit that will work well for your system as a whole, remembering the display + sump volume aways when choosing the right size chiller for that system! Try to make room for the chiller and you won't regret. It's a safe way to assure the temperature won't be a close call for any bleaching event. I remember when I first started and the chillers were so expensive for me to get, specially because of the shipping costs!! Back then I used to have more fans and even used ice in bags to cool down the system during the crazy summer days. That is not the case anymore.
Most people in US won't need chillers and will do fine with nice fans, as jda said.
Cheers!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points, I definitely can’t compare it to anything other than LED only, so compared to that my results have been great. I started getting curious when the main person I buy coral from, BoomCorals, switched to Halide and has been reporting tremendous success. I plan to keep watching for at least 6 months because I may not need or want to change anything. Lastly I was more curious how it is better because I love learning.
I wish Boom would post some before and after pics here. I'm happy he is doing great with his halides!

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share what temperature increase they experienced going from led to halide? I added 1 degree with 4 t5 on for 6 hours.
This is going to vary on a case by case basis, depending on several variables. For me (basement sump where it’s cool, central air, open top rimless tank), I noticed no difference in temperature when switching from radions to a spectra t5/250 watt halide combo 2 years ago. The main difference I personally saw based on my setup is that the heaters do not come on during the day, only during halide off hours. In most cases, I would not let the temperature increase fear be the reason for going away from halide. I was worried about the heat issue when I contemplated switching lighting, and it ended up being a non issue from a heat standpoint.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the hanging hardware from? Any pictures of yours installed?
3YbTogYh.jpg
7qDWQt0h.jpg
HG1NdR5h.jpg

I used this kit and modified it to my liking :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish Boom would post some before and after pics here. I'm happy he is doing great with his halides!
I've personally seen his tanks with the halide over them (he lives close to me to I visit him quite regularly) and they are as stunning and colorful as his pictures show them to be :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally seen his tanks with the halide over them (he lives close to me to I visit him quite regularly) and they are as stunning and colorful as his pictures show them to be :)
I will make sure my next on vacation to contact you guys and visit you both, if that's ok.
;)

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I switched from arguably the best t5 hyrbid to a metal halide hybrid and couldn't be happier. I'm currently running a Giesemann Spectra with a 250w Radium, 2 blue+, 1 purple+ and an Actinic. I attached a Reefbrite XHO to the front for that Coral pop we all love. The powermodule I had was nice, but doesn't compare to the accelerated growth and better coloration I now have.
Just wondering how much difference in electric bill was before and after the switch? I never used MH FYI.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from arguably the best t5 hyrbid to a metal halide hybrid and couldn't be happier. I'm currently running a Giesemann Spectra with a 250w Radium, 2 blue+, 1 purple+ and an Actinic. I attached a Reefbrite XHO to the front for that Coral pop we all love. The powermodule I had was nice, but doesn't compare to the accelerated growth and better coloration I now have.
I was very close to choosing a powemodule for my current system.
What turned me off was ATI's lack of support and the so many complaints about the powermodule. LEDs burning out and so on.
I also learned from reading around that users had more success with the regular sunpower than with the powermodule.

I didn't want to doubt lighting so I went with the Spectra which in my honest opinion is the best light fixture available, considering its performance and looks. I run similar t5 bulbs as you, with the exception of the purple+. I run two b+ and two actinic along with radiums.

I might try the giesemann crystal 17.5k bulb next to see what that brings to my tank. I am stocked with 4x extra radiums but would love something more like 14k if available. Love the mid day sunlight look halides bring.

I only run the halides 3 hrs a day and am seeing great coloration of my frags. I might ramp up 30 mins over the next few weeks and plan to run a max of 4 hrs a day in the future.

Wish companies came out with sleeker looking MH fixtures as this lighting system is not going anywhere.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and timely for me. My DT is a 525 reefer with 3 X Hydra 26s. Good looking and like the control app & features. Some of my corals like them, some don't. All about placement relative to the fixture. Got annoying. I finally invested in an Apogee PAR meter. Astonished to find out just how crazy the hot/cold spots were in the top 6 inches of water. In the space of 6 inches left/right of fixture, PAR dropped to 160 from 550 beneath the fixture. Only after 12 inches did the light "cones" overlap. And I haven't even mentioned shading yet.

So I read up a lot. A lot. But never established enough conviction on the different hybrid offerings to go big. Reliability and service issues kept popping up. Fritzy ballasts, busted fans, people actually stocking replacement parts because they were difficult to order quickly/reliably.

So, I started small in my basement frag tank, swapping out Kessil for 6 bulb ATI sunpower. Almost done acclimating the light now. I like the fixture, and even though it is slightly down on PAR to what I had, the light dispersion is spotless and everyone is happy down there.

I am going to re-read this thread; hopefully it keeps running. I still have to solve for my display tank lighting. The Spectra seems to be getting many nice comments here, and the rotation back to MH is interesting indeed.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and timely for me. My DT is a 525 reefer with 3 X Hydra 26s. Good looking and like the control app & features. Some of my corals like them, some don't. All about placement relative to the fixture. Got annoying. I finally invested in an Apogee PAR meter. Astonished to find out just how crazy the hot/cold spots were in the top 6 inches of water. In the space of 6 inches left/right of fixture, PAR dropped to 160 from 550 beneath the fixture. Only after 12 inches did the light "cones" overlap. And I haven't even mentioned shading yet.

So I read up a lot. A lot. But never established enough conviction on the different hybrid offerings to go big. Reliability and service issues kept popping up. Fritzy ballasts, busted fans, people actually stocking replacement parts because they were difficult to order quickly/reliably.

So, I started small in my basement frag tank, swapping out Kessil for 6 bulb ATI sunpower. Almost done acclimating the light now. I like the fixture, and even though it is slightly down on PAR to what I had, the light dispersion is spotless and everyone is happy down there.

I am going to re-read this thread; hopefully it keeps running. I still have to solve for my display tank lighting. The Spectra seems to be getting many nice comments here, and the rotation back to MH is interesting indeed.
I ran three hydra 26’s and t5’s over a 57 gal sps tank. Color was very good and in my experience hydras were better lights than radion G4’s which I ran afterwards. Spread was an issue but I had tons of shadowing with the radions too. I also liked the overall look of the tank with the 26’s. Radion’s tanks are too purple for me under the Blue+ template.

Halides arent for everyone, but after having every fixture and technology out there, there is no debate in my head that halides produce a higher quality type of light for sps. Many have success with leds, and I give them all credit as this is NO easy task.

If a tank is under 210 gals, halides are still a strong player with higher returns than larger systems requiring 400w units. The heat does become an enemy and it is hard to ignore it. The Spectra unites the high quality light along with aesthetics wich keeps tanks looking sharp.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks @Reefcowboy. Nice to hear. I did fail to mention that fixture aesthetics do matter as I am married to a strict design/aesthetic enforcer. The Spectra is a nice looking piece that will pass inspections.

And while I am mixed reef, it is mostly sticks across the top. Thus, the spotty light distribution must be solved for.

Thanks again.

Anybody else?

OP
OP
leepink23

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran three hydra 26’s and t5’s over a 57 gal sps tank. Color was very good and in my experience hydras were better lights than radion G4’s which I ran afterwards. Spread was an issue but I had tons of shadowing with the radions too. I also liked the overall look of the tank with the 26’s. Radion’s tanks are too purple for me under the Blue+ template.

Halides arent for everyone, but after having every fixture and technology out there, there is no debate in my head that halides produce a higher quality type of light for sps. Many have success with leds, and I give them all credit as this is NO easy task.

If a tank is under 210 gals, halides are still a strong player with higher returns than larger systems requiring 400w units. The heat does become an enemy and it is hard to ignore it. The Spectra unites the high quality light along with aesthetics wich keeps tanks looking sharp.
To me the Gen 4 are more purple, The gen 3 are more blue. I don’t appear to be getting shadowing with T5 added but my coral are still small. I can’t find a spectra in 48 inches, did find the infinity though, any thoughts on it? Halides are tempting because of all the success stories but for now no changes for me since I am happy with my results I am getting.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do :) heat isnt a huge issue as the fixture has a glass panel and utilizes two fans to carry heat out of the fixture and keep everything cool. I only noticed a .5 degree increase with this fixture
I have the 5ft Cebu Sun with 3-250watt, and I'm seeing the temp go up some. I'm trying some things to see if I can minimize it. Are you doing anything special?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a super high CFM fan and have it come on at the same time as the lights. Blow it across the top of the tank. I am talking about a Vornado and not a computer or DC fan. Don't get cute and control the fan with a temp controller, then you will already be behind when it comes on.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 5ft Cebu Sun with 3-250watt, and I'm seeing the temp go up some. I'm trying some things to see if I can minimize it. Are you doing anything special?
Basically what @jda said. The two fans in the fixture carrys enough heat away

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the Gen 4 are more purple, The gen 3 are more blue. I don’t appear to be getting shadowing with T5 added but my coral are still small. I can’t find a spectra in 48 inches, did find the infinity though, any thoughts on it? Halides are tempting because of all the success stories but for now no changes for me since I am happy with my results I am getting.
I got my 48”spectra at BRS. I bulbs while the Spectra uses “Mogul” or Single ended(SE). The known Radium bulb only comes in the single ended version and is the reason the Spectra is more popular.

I love however the Phenix 14K as much as the Radium, and it is a DE bulb. It all comes to preference.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back