T5 question for lighting experts - coral coloration and growth; not "look"

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Ecotech AB+ program that so many in this hobby love IMO has a lot to answer for, and is a terrible article and a marketing gimmick... it simulates a light that most of the corals we see regularly in the hobby never see

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the heavy blue look really good for coral growth?? This seems to be brought around by a very sketchy article by Ecotech and wwc... do you have any other articles that your basing your stance of heavy blue being good for health and growth, a lot of corals originate in shallow waters where the spectrum isn’t filtered out..
So based on your posts, some combination of Coral Plus (15k) and Blue Plus (20k) would be best for growth? And some combination of Blue Plus (20k) and Actinic (??k, but guessing 23k+?) would be best for color?

But when you say "gives better color" are you talking about the look, or are you talking about the coral coloring up best from that light spectrum?

Side note - in looking at your statements, just to play devil's advocate... I would say that daylight doesn't mean much for corals. When I dive, it only takes a few feet before reds start filtering out. Most coral is deeper than a few feet below the surface. And if daylight was best for our corals, we'd be using 6k daylight bulbs, right? :)

BTW, my tank is 120g 4x2x2. I have 3 Noopsyche K7 Pro II LEDs. I'm adding two 48" T5 bulbs. Of course it's not a ton of additional light, but a little is better than nothing, right?! And it's not really to add a ton more PAR, but to get better coverages. It will reach some areas that are entirely shadowed by the rocks with the LEDs. Which should at least be good for my softies. Cheers,
--Kyle

Interesting. FYI, the post you were replying to was not me (the OP). And I'm taking everyone's feedback into consideration. I'm starting to consider a Coral Plus and Blue Plus now, even though I don't love the look. I can change it throughout the day though. Have the Coral Plus on more when I'm not around and the Blue Plus on more when I am. :) If that's what's best anyway! Thanks!
--Kyle
Your very good , and I realized later i didnt clarify that and almost edited , the look is the 20k-23k which is still white , by todays standards. but best for the coral is keep it 15 k all day with a slow even ramp up to peak I peak for like 4 hours tops (like OG 400w MH ) and then drop out to blue only for my viewing , the color of the coral will be best in 15-17.5k all day everyday , if your lights spectrum is correct to setting and peaks the right trigger points

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your very good , and I realized later i didnt clarify that and almost edited , the look is the 20k-23k which is still white , by todays standards. but best for the coral is keep it 15 k all day with a slow even ramp up to peak I peak for like 4 hours tops (like OG 400w MH ) and then drop out to blue only for my viewing , the color of the coral will be best in 15-17.5k all day everyday , if your lights spectrum is correct to setting and peaks the right trigger points

20k looks white to you? After about 14k, you're getting strong blue tints.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents...

If you're only running the t5 bulbs when you're your away at work and hence won't see them, I'd choose one true actinic and one gieseman 65k tropic.

They're both fantastic growth bulbs, they both stimulate the production of pigments that other bulbs don't, and they both look "not that great" when on, haha. However, since they'll be ov when you're at work or doesn't matter.

The pigments they produce are displayed spectacularly by LEDs!

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. I'd been thinking the bluer lights were the most important for coral health, but apparently that's not right. But I also hear about Actinic and Blue Plus being so good for them too.

If you're only running the t5 bulbs when you're your away at work and hence won't see them, I'd choose one true actinic and one gieseman 65k tropic.

They're both fantastic growth bulbs, they both stimulate the production of pigments that other bulbs don't, and they both look "not that great" when on, haha. However, since they'll be ov when you're at work or doesn't matter.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I would have never considered running a daylight bulb before. If I did something like this, would running each of the T5s for 4 hours a day be sufficient to help the coral get (some of) a more complete light spectrum (considering they're supplemental to the LEDs)? Ugh, now I'm getting overwhelmed by options to consider. :) Thanks,
--Kyle

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...would running each of the T5s for 4 hours a day be sufficient to help the coral get (some of) a more complete light spectrum (considering they're supplemental to the LEDs)...

Why only run them four hours? They should be running eight to twelve hours.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why only run them four hours? They should be running eight to twelve hours.

Well I was asking the question; not stating a definitive plan. But the reason is that they'd be supplemental to the LEDs (which are on over 12 hours at some level), wouldn't look great when on (if I went with the 6500k T5). That is, they would be like the midday sun, which doesn't last that long. I could do longer of course, but I don't know if I would consider a 6500k bulb if it isn't going to look good for a large portion of the day. Thanks,
--Kyle

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was asking the question; not stating a definitive plan. But the reason is that they'd be supplemental to the LEDs (which are on over 12 hours at some level), wouldn't look great when on (if I went with the 6500k T5). That is, they would be like the midday sun, which doesn't last that long. I could do longer of course, but I don't know if I would consider a 6500k bulb if it isn't going to look good for a large portion of the day. Thanks,
--Kyle

It doesn't have to be a 6500k, this is why you're seeing recommendations for the Blue+ and Aquablue Special; they're retaining the bluer look that seems to be visually favorable these with the "daylight" spectrums you get from "whiter" lights.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 4 hours might to the trick - but if you're going to be away at work then I'd run them for 6-8 hours.

One reason I suggested those two bulbs is that they provide spectrum that the LED fixtures don't provide in abundance. They're complimentary to the LEDs and together would provide a fuller/broader spectrum. The Blue+ is a great bulb for viewing and growing coral but I view it as redundant to the LEDs. Most people have their LEDs tuned to a spectrum very similar to a Blue+.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 4 hours might to the trick - but if you're going to be away at work then I'd run them for 6-8 hours.

One reason I suggested those two bulbs is that they provide spectrum that the LED fixtures don't provide in abundance. They're complimentary to the LEDs and together would provide a fuller/broader spectrum. The Blue+ is a great bulb for viewing and growing coral but I view it as redundant to the LEDs. Most people have their LEDs tuned to a spectrum very similar to a Blue+.

That makes sense (suggesting these bulbs since they provide a different spectrum than my LEDs). My Noopsyche K7 Pro II LEDs do include a separate Violet + UV channel (which I run full power for part of the day). However, I imagine the ATI Actinic covers a bit more / different spectrum? And I'm sure the white channel doesn't do the daylight that the 6500k bulb you're suggesting would. So this does make sense on paper! But on the other hand, I won't be thrilled with the daylight colors on my tank (I actually work from home and am around on the weekends :) ...

ATI Blue Plus and Coral Plus

Thanks, but why would you suggest these particular two as supplemental bulbs with LEDs in place? I'm trying to provide additional coverage where my LEDs don't reach and possibly provide some spectrum that they don't provide, but I want to do it for coral health more than for tank appearance.

Now I have all these options I'm considering, LOL:
Geissman 6500k Tropic + ATI Actinic: Because these two provide color spectrum that my LEDs aren't providing much of. @TexasReefer82 suggested this would stimulate the production of pigments that other bulbs don't - which is exactly what I'm looking to do.
ATI Blue Plus + ATI Actinic: Still getting the actinic in there, but having a more pleasant look with the Blue Plus instead of daylight
ATI Coral Plus + ATI Actinic: Would be a compromise between the two looks above (more pleasant than 6500k), and it provides more white that maybe the coral coloration and growth will benefit from?
ATI Coral Plus + ATI Blue Plus: Would be another compromise between the first two looks, and it provides more white that maybe the coral coloration and growth will benefit from?
Thanks,
--Kyle

Edit: BTW, this discussion has me rethinking the white channel on my LEDs. I had topped out at 25% on white. Now I just bumped it to 50% and I'm considering going to 75 or 100%... Think this is a good idea? It's obviously much whiter / yellower, but I'd love to do that if it helps bring out more colors!

Last edited:

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple thoughts - with only one bulb of 65K along with the LED's it may not look that bad overall.

I run my own tank with a 50/50 mix of True Actinic and Blue+ and the combo looks fantastic IMO especially when balanced with the LEDs.

I'd move slowly when cranking up the white channels of your LEDs - or any of the channels. I agree that the white should probably be used more - but 25% is big jump - just keep an eye on things and watch for bleaching or other stress.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're over-thinking this. The current crop of T5s will all grow corals, they have everything that is needed. Pick a color combination you like and stick with it. Dont go changing your LEDs about, this is the number one reason people kill corals with LEDs. This thread has some examples of what the different bulbs will produce visually. Disregard, you already saw that. The rest still applies.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had topped out at 25% on white. Now I just bumped it to 50% and I'm considering going to 75 or 100%... Think this is a good idea?
Do it slowly, that’s way to big a jump, 1-2% a week is a good starting point. I would get your LEDs where you want them over a Few months then reevaluate the T5’s otherwise you will be making to many changes far to quickly

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple thoughts - with only one bulb of 65K along with the LED's it may not look that bad overall.

I run my own tank with a 50/50 mix of True Actinic and Blue+ and the combo looks fantastic IMO especially when balanced with the LEDs.

I'd move slowly when cranking up the white channels of your LEDs - or any of the channels. I agree that the white should probably be used more - but 25% is big jump - just keep an eye on things and watch for bleaching or other stress.

Thanks! When I tested with just one Coral Plus, it did make it a lot whiter with just the one bulb, so I imagine the daylight will do even more. But yeah, it's true that the LEDs will cancel a bit of that out!

Just curious... If you run only Actinic and Blue Plus, why are you suggesting a 6500k bulb to bring out more pigments? Do you have experience with that, and if so, why aren't you doing it now? :)

Agreed on ramping up the channels on my LEDs. However, I only touched the white channel that runs for 4 hours (raised from 25% to 50%), and if I increase it more, I won't do so until some time has passed.

You're over-thinking this. The current crop of T5s will all grow corals, they have everything that is needed. Pick a color combination you like and stick with it. Dont go changing your LEDs about, this is the number one reason people kill corals with LEDs. This thread has some examples of what the different bulbs will produce visually.

I'm sure I am overthinking it. But isn't that what this is about? Researching and trying to do the best for our tanks? Many of my corals look great! Others look like they could benefit from some changes (i.e. Walt Disney acro is mostly green and ASD Rainbow Millepora doesn't have the orange that it should). My corals are growing, but it seems that I need some changes to bring our more pigments in my corals.

Thanks for the link. However, I've actually tested these different T5s already (except the 6500k) and know how they look. My questions are more about the benefit to coral pigmentation and health, which I can't quite as easily test. See above about my LED changes.

Do it slowly, that’s way to big a jump, 1-2% a week is a good starting point. I would get your LEDs where you want them over a Few months then reevaluate the T5’s otherwise you will be making to many changes far to quickly

So you're suggesting at least 12 weeks to go from 25 to 50%?? That's really excessive. Anytime we add a new coral to our tanks, the PAR / spectrum difference is almost always going to vary by way more and our corals don't bleach... Thanks guys,
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it excessive?? It was conservative if anything. I’m out of here as you obviously know everything... good luck

No, clearly I don't. That's why I'm asking questions here. And I appreciate your input. But yeah, I have been reef keeping for 10 years now and do have some knowledge. I do think that only 1-2% change per week is certainly unnecessary. When 1 T5 bulb is replaced with a new one (or a different spectrum), you're doing way more than a 1-2% change in your lighting... But I took your (and other) suggestions into account and dropped it down to 38% for a week and then will increase to 50%. Thanks,
--Kyle

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back