biocube 32 custom lighting for better coral coloration.

Flatlower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my new bio cube for year and half. With 2 extra 9 watt stripes royal blue from 21 leds. I have them at 65% strength to encourage coralline and coral growth. Plus blue light and oem lights together decent. I have great growth rates. Phenomenal growth rate of stones lps and sps.

However my coral color don't pop like they do at my Local fish store. I'm not getting super coloration when i get them home. It's more dull and the actinics just don't make the color pop.

What would be a good upgrade for lighting? Kessel 360? Radion?

My new rainbow monti is exploding but never looks as vibrate as it did at the LGS. It tries but it's like color spectrum isn't there.

Thanks for any input.

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gonna follow this. I’m currently with the stock hood and was planning to do the 21usa strips like your self. The videos and pictures I’ve seen had a lot of beautiful color to them so now I’m intrigued to see what others are seeing.

Imo id rather remove the hood and throw a kessil 360x on it and know I’m good to go for the future on out but I’m trying to keep a little bit of a budget and my corals seem to be plenty happy at the moment.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to get good color pop with the similar set up. I only run full whites 5 hours and colors are washed out during those 5 hours . Check out Steve’s led upgrade, I read great things about them, come ina BioCube hood , much more par but Im not sure about the affect on color.
9772D0AB-B475-41ED-BDBD-77F7AB2C9F6A.png

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna follow this. I’m currently with the stock hood and was planning to do the 21usa strips like your self. The videos and pictures I’ve seen had a lot of beautiful color to them so now I’m intrigued to see what others are seeing.

Imo id rather remove the hood and throw a kessil 360x on it and know I’m good to go for the future on out but I’m trying to keep a little bit of a budget and my corals seem to be plenty happy at the moment.
Where about are you at @spielco ?

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reason I hate my biocube… Im going to try my AI light on mine and pull the hood off. It stopped working like 2 months in.

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the reason I hate my biocube… Im going to try my AI light on mine and pull the hood off. It stopped working like 2 months in.
That’s rough. It just completely quit on you!?

I guess all the reason to upgrade now lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s rough. It just completely quit on you!?

I guess all the reason to upgrade now lol
Yeah! Just stopped working. Im turning the tank into a mantis shrimp tank so lucky I had another light sitting around!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back