Tabasco's 45g cube build-finally!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Time to start the build thread. Start out with the nitty gritty details and then go from there.

45g cube- starphire on the front & 2 sides
black stand with 3 glass doors and open back

Lighting
PC 2x 56w (1 actinic, 1 10k daylight) with led moonlight
MH 1x 150w 14k viper

Filter
AquaC EV120-can't remember the pump for this right now
3 media trays in sump from DT
Fuge-5g
RODI-Spectra Pure CSP Max 90-arrives on Wed. April 6

Sump/fuge
DIY design-picking up the acrylic on Wed. April 6

Return
Mag 9-still on the fence about this, might spring for a smaller return

Flow
Right now 3 powerheads, but plan to upgrade to MP ES 10.

Hoping to have to get the fuge/sump built by next weekend.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, list of the particular equipment up.

On to the thought behind it. I think there are 2 main things that I want to accomplish with the tank. It is a little piece of ocean for me and specifically I would like to try to mimic a place that I snorkeled in Fiji last year called Split Rock. It was not a huge area, but dominated by a huge split rock. So planning on trying to recreate that in my tank. Obviously not identically, because the walls to were pretty steep and I that will limit my coral placement. But I am excited to try to get the rockwork in a decently good representation of it. Little tangent here, one of the coolest things about split rock was that it had several sets of lemonpeel angel pairs. They were so cool. I would LOVE to add a lemonpeel to the set up, definately not a pair. I am fully aware of the implications of doing so and it most likely won't happen, but the temptation may be too much. We will see.

The other thing I would like to achieve is have a couple sets of spawning animals. Couple reasons. I love the interaction and dynamic that this creates, a more personal relationship between the fishes as opposed to a more neighborly feel to the inhabitants. Also, I am wanting to see how a somewhat regular natural food source does for everyone. Right now my list of animals to set up as a mated pair are either neon blue gobies or sharknose gobies, mated pair of b & w ocellaris clowns and a little harem of sexy shrimp (1 male & 2-3 females). Again, I know the sexy's come with a little bit of risk, but they can always be relegated to the sump if they start misbehaving.

I would like to add 1-2 "neigbors" :) but haven't nailed those down yet. Considerations:
mandarin goby-top of the list. One of my favorite fishes. I know that a 45 will be cutting it close and I need to have my pod populations in line and work on training it to accept prepared, needless to say this will be in the future. ;)

Pink spot goby
firefish of some sort
mccoskers flasher-I believe that I could have one in a 45, I would make sure.

Not planning on adding all the above listed fish, but those are on the consideration list.

All for now, will put my thoughts on coral in another seperate entry.

Any thoughts or potential issues are welcomed.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a good start. It's good to see that you are thinking things through before doing anything. I was able to train my Mandarin to eat frozen. The easiest way of doing it is to train him (or her) on frozen before introducing him to the tank.

CJ

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I like to hear that people are having luck with the training, it is encouraging. That is what I was planning to do, train him/her in the qt before adding it over. I am concerned that since there will be live food in the DT that it will develop a taste for that and not eat the prepared instead of using the live as supplemental food. Did you have an issue with that?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having an issue with that at all. However, remember that they are somewhat finicky and one may eat where anotherone doesn't. I also supplement my pod population weekly with pods that I culture (both Tigriopus californicus and Tisbe).

CJ

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first picture time. This is what I will be working with. Might have to rehome some of the current inhabitants.

*looks around for the tang police* ;)
Tank pre set up.JPG

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup Tabasco - I'm surprised i missed your thread! I love your goals especially the split rock. Sound very interesting, cant wait to see! As for the mandarin, i agree with CJO. Definitely make sure he takes to prepared food before you take the plunge. I also seeded my tank every couple weeks with pods as well. I had mine for 2+ years and he was a very happy little guy....unfortunately i lost him this year :(

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in love!!!!!!!!!!!! ahahahahahahah a woman that does acrylic and is into reefing....yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahahahahah just playing.... lmk if you need any help or have quaetions when building your sump...1smile1

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) They have been struggling a bit, I keep seem to be loosing them. I just keep cutting them out and replacing. Pretty cheap. I am really hoping water helps!

FSU-absoulutely proceeding with caution with the mandarin. Everything will have to be in line. My system will dictate to me if I can give it a go!

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it is true! Trying the acrylic build this weekend. I pick up the acrylic tomorrow in Denver. :neutral: We shall see. Hope it doesnt turn into a $$ practice run. Help will probably be much appreciated.

I guess the first question is how to make sure everything is at 90 degree angles ahaha. I am thinking you have to place one wall at a time or two and use a box as a guide to hold them in place?

AND what kind of safety equipment do I need? hahah. Goggles? Gloves? Ventillation? Don't want to melt my hands off.

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I think we have the same tank:) It's a 45 gallon Oceanic Tech tank right? My son and I just moved his 24 gallon AP inhabitants into his new tank a few weeks ago. It's a sweet tank!!! Had to hook up our chiller over the weekend though because we're runninig 250 watt MH with 2x65 watt pc actinics. You may want to run 2 MP10ES's though because one wasn't enough and its cool when you synch them on tidal swell mode:)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to see pictures! I would suggest getting maybe two MP10's. I use one for my 40Br, which is softy dominated. Looking at your light set up I am thinking you want to go for SPS? If so I would definitely up the flow.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefer-yep oceanic tech. I am stoked on it. Wish it was bigger, but hey, I don't really see myself going out and buying colonies of coral so this should be just fine for now.

2 MP10 ES's? I was thinking I might have to go that route as well becuase of the rock scaping, I am concerned that it might break up the flow or create dead spots. I am going to play with it as well when I get water in it to make sure I don't have any.

Was actually not planning on SPS domination. hahah. That just sounds funny. Very monster truck. ANYWAY, I am planning having some, but just at the top. I hope not TOO much light and if so I may not have the MH on for a full typical daylight cycle. Which is what? 6hrs for MH?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a single 150W metal halide, you should be alright doing a longer photo period. Maybe 8 hours of metal halides with and hour of the PCs on either end for sunrise/sunset?

CJ

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taggin in on this one, good to see lots of planning in the initial stages. Going to enjoy watching it come together.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, some mid-week progress. Recieved my RODI filter last night. Very exciting. One of the housings for the DI resin is a little damaged though. I am going to see if the vendor will send me a new one of those. Can't wait to get it all hooked up and tested this weekend.

Picked up the acrylic for my custom sump... DOH! Measured wrong. Not the end of the world. It is about 1/2" long, so I will have to shorten 3 pieces, so not too bad. I am hoping to have that done this weekend.

Also on the to do today is order my last supplies:
Via Aqua Titanium heater
Red Sea Coral Pro salt
Some test kits
And an amonia & nitrate detector for the QT tank.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good list. Also, good choice on the MP10's. I'm not sure if you can get by with just one or not. I have two in my 65 gallon (older Oceanic with Starfire glass), but I've heard that it's harder to get movement in a cube.

CJ

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back