Tahitian Hawkfish Color Change

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning R2R Community,

I bought a beautiful Tahitian Hawkfish from a reputable retailer about 6 months ago. The fish was quarantined appropriately and introduced into my 300 gallon FOWLR. He immediately began eating and securing his spot in the aquarium. Soon thereafter, I noticed his gorgeous yellow color began to change into a more dull, grayish yellow. Initially, I thought he was sick, but that is not the case, as he is the boss of the aquarium. He lives with a bunch of gorgeous fish- Blueface angel, emperor angel, queen angel, lemonpeel angel, regal angel, purple tang, gem tang, dejardini tang, 6 line wrasse, melanarus wrasse, radiant wrasse, marine betta, snowflake eel, as well as a flamehawk fish, and a longnose hawk. There doesn't seem to be any major aggression issues, although I will see him chase the longnose occasionally. All the fish are well fed, fat, and happy with a variety of food and supplemented with selcon.

My question is simple and twofold, can anyone explain the color change, and how, if at all, can I get his color back?

Thank you.

I will upload a photo or two of the color tonight.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality and nutrition will be the primary drivers. Some species are going to be more sensitive to these, higher levels of nitrates and lacking nutrients. Fresh human grade seafoods will be more valuable than frozen lfs foods, foods like LRS and Rods are good lfs food. Minced fresh shrimp and salmon contain a caratenoid called astaxanthin, which does enhance yellow, orange, and red. While many pellet and flake foods also contain astaxanthin, I do not recommend them because pellet and flake food contains ingredients aquatic life should not eat; like soy, wheat, and meal products made with who knows what.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that the golden hawkfish was a color morph of the arc-eye hawkfish, so their coloration might revert in captivity like other aberrations (those white undulated triggers come to mind first). I've never heard any first-hand accounts of this though, just speculation.

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality and nutrition will be the primary drivers. Some species are going to be more sensitive to these, higher levels of nitrates and lacking nutrients. Fresh human grade seafoods will be more valuable than frozen lfs foods, foods like LRS and Rods are good lfs food. Minced fresh shrimp and salmon contain a caratenoid called astaxanthin, which does enhance yellow, orange, and red. While many pellet and flake foods also contain astaxanthin, I do not recommend them because pellet and flake food contains ingredients aquatic life should not eat; like soy, wheat, and meal products made with who knows what.
thank you for the reply. The color change occurred fairly rapidly. I feed a variety of high quality foods and mince my own seafood as well. Upon arrival this fish had great coloration and Im sure my nutrition was far better than what he was getting at the retailer. Nitrates could be an issue, by tank usually runs at a level of about 30, which isn't too bad for a FOWLR that size. Any thoughts to this color change being related to agrression or 'blending in' with surroundings?

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that the golden hawkfish was a color morph of the arc-eye hawkfish, so their coloration might revert in captivity like other aberrations (those white undulated triggers come to mind first). I've never heard any first-hand accounts of this though, just speculation.
Interesting thought. I hadn't considered that. The color was gorgeous at a retailer. I'm starting to think it is a "chameleon" like phenomenon, and that he is blending in or darkening in response to the other hawkfish in the tank. Thoughts?

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought. I hadn't considered that. The color was gorgeous at a retailer. I'm starting to think it is a "chameleon" like phenomenon, and that he is blending in or darkening in response to the other hawkfish in the tank. Thoughts?
From Wikipedia:

"Paracirrhites xanthus was first formally described in 1963 by the American ichthyologist John Ernest Randall with the type locality given as Takapoto Atoll in the Tuamotu Islands. This species is one of three species of little known, small, largely sympatric and very similar Paracirrhites hawkfishes from Polynesia, the other two being P. bicolor and P. nisus. These were all described by John E. Randall in 1963. It has been suggested that these are actually color morphs of the same polymorphic species which has undergone some introgression of genes from the widespread and also sympatric arc-eye hawkfish (P. arcatus). The specific name xanthus means “yellow”, a reference to the color of this species."

It sounds like their status as a species isn't fully understood, or they are part of a complex, or is one of three species that might actually be one.

On a more useful note, I doubt it's a dietary response considering the short amount of time. It's more likely something like what you were saying about dominance (considering all the large pushy fish in the tank) or camouflage. Might be something to just wait and see. Their color could get better after they gets used to the environment.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the reply. The color change occurred fairly rapidly. I feed a variety of high quality foods and mince my own seafood as well. Upon arrival this fish had great coloration and Im sure my nutrition was far better than what he was getting at the retailer. Nitrates could be an issue, by tank usually runs at a level of about 30, which isn't too bad for a FOWLR that size. Any thoughts to this color change being related to agrression or 'blending in' with surroundings?
Yes stress can also play a part in color vibrancy. My assessment of water conditions and diet came from my study of the 3 color morphs of the dwarf fuzzy lionfish, the P xanthus is similar in that regard. While their dietary needs will be different, I watched red and yellow fuzzies brown out when they were being fed lacking diets and water conditions were less than optimum. In reference to nutrition, as I mentioned fresh shrimp and salmon would be a good addition to their diet for the astaxanthin. 30ppm may be just at the cutoff when I saw changes in vibrancy of my red and yellow fuzzies as well as when some of my angels would get spotchy in their coloring.

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes stress can also play a part in color vibrancy. My assessment of water conditions and diet came from my study of the 3 color morphs of the dwarf fuzzy lionfish, the P xanthus is similar in that regard. While their dietary needs will be different, I watched red and yellow fuzzies brown out when they were being fed lacking diets and water conditions were less than optimum. In reference to nutrition, as I mentioned fresh shrimp and salmon would be a good addition to their diet for the astaxanthin. 30ppm may be just at the cutoff when I saw changes in vibrancy of my red and yellow fuzzies as well as when some of my angels would get spotchy in their coloring.
Great info. I will add salmon and shrimp. Regarding stress- he seems very at peace in the tank. He has his perch on the top of the aquarium and loves the spot. It out in the open. He even comes to my hand for feedings along with the rest of the fish. Been trying to get the nitrates down, via algae reactor, phosphate reactor, water changes, tuxedo urchins, clean up crews, etc. I will see how these two changes affect the color. I will attach photos tonight for additional info. THANK YOU.

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics. Notice the vibrant yellow lemonpeel angel, showing the original color of this beautiful fish, Tahitian Hawkfish.
tahitian hawk1.jpg tahitian hawk2.jpg tahitian hawk3.jpg

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Wikipedia:

"Paracirrhites xanthus was first formally described in 1963 by the American ichthyologist John Ernest Randall with the type locality given as Takapoto Atoll in the Tuamotu Islands. This species is one of three species of little known, small, largely sympatric and very similar Paracirrhites hawkfishes from Polynesia, the other two being P. bicolor and P. nisus. These were all described by John E. Randall in 1963. It has been suggested that these are actually color morphs of the same polymorphic species which has undergone some introgression of genes from the widespread and also sympatric arc-eye hawkfish (P. arcatus). The specific name xanthus means “yellow”, a reference to the color of this species."

It sounds like their status as a species isn't fully understood, or they are part of a complex, or is one of three species that might actually be one.

On a more useful note, I doubt it's a dietary response considering the short amount of time. It's more likely something like what you were saying about dominance (considering all the large pushy fish in the tank) or camouflage. Might be something to just wait and see. Their color could get better after they gets used to the environment.
A few pics. Notice the vibrant yellow lemonpeel angel, showing the original color of this beautiful fish, Tahitian Hawkfish.

Attachments

• tahitian hawk1.jpg
    tahitian hawk1.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 23
  • tahitian hawk2.jpg
    tahitian hawk2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 18
  • tahitian hawk3.jpg
    tahitian hawk3.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 27

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resembles a P. bicolor is the pics, they come from the same region as the species we were talking about, so a common name of the tahitian hawkfish can be interchangeable. P. xanthus would be the golden/yellow variety.

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resembles a P. bicolor is the pics, they come from the same region as the species we were talking about, so a common name of the tahitian hawkfish can be interchangeable. P. xanthus would be the golden/yellow variety.
the fish was yellow as can be, like a lemonpeel angel, when i purchased.

OP
OP
C

cj02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That article shows fish going from not-yellow to yellow as well. More evidence towards the color change might not be anything we can account for/figure out at the moment.
Very interesting article. Attached is a pic of the fish on Day 1 in the aquarium. I'll make some changes to the diet and try and bring nitrates down and see what happens. Thanks so much for your interest and reply.

Attachments

• tahitian hawk initial.jpg
    tahitian hawk initial.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back