Tailspot blennie leaped to his death while i was doing a water change.

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i am extremely sad right now, my beloved tailspot blennie whom i love and cherish leapt out of my reef while i was doing a water change .... and well i didn't see him do it and he just so happened to land where i was standing and moving around and well i accidentally stepped on him crushing him to death, this was probably the worst fish death I've ever had to deal with i was pretty attached to this guy and not only that but i had to break the news to my girlfriend who loves him even more than me and she freaked out and started crying what a terrible night poor bennie he didn't deserve to go out like that..... I'm considering getting another but do you guys think it would be wise to get a top? I've got a I'm nuvo abyss tank and I'm not sure what i could use as a top that wouldn't block out light to my corals?

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an algae blenny a long time ago. Was doing a water change and had poured my skimmate in the bucket so it was really dark. Blenny jumped out and landed in the bucket. I didn't see him until he was looking up at me from the bottom of the toilet bowl [emoji26]

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I don't know if you have a top or not. I didn't at first and got a pair of Wheeler Gobies. One jumped within 24 hrs. I was so upset and I got a screen top immediately. I still take it off to do maintenance so I guess I still better be careful.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m truly sorry for your loss. In addition to adding a top, also be careful with fish that are prone to jump if you remove the top (or part of the top) for tank maintenance.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sorry to hear. Losing fish to carpet surfing is never fun.

I recently lost an aiptasia-eating file fish and.....the dang aiptasia that was absolutely gone is rearing its ugly head again. Arghhh

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail Spot is the best blenny! With a screen net you at least have a 50/50 shot of keeping him in since they are so small the he can still fit through the 1/4" screen. Normally they head for the hole in the rock called home

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss, they are neat fish for certain. I'd say most tanks need a lid, particularly with gobies, blennies, and wrasse -- although any fish can jump. :(

OP
OP
P

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a brs diy top, and a bi color blenny, my tank just isn't the same without its cute resident muppet :( thanks for all the kind words everybody its rough when you lose a fish that has been the tank favorite for over a year..

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back