Tailspot Blenny Flashing?

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, hoping for some advice on my tailspot blenny in my pico reef. He's been in the tank for about 1.5 months now, looks healthy, swims around, and eats regularly. Unfortunately I just started noticing him flashing periodically this last week. It's not constant, but I've seen it everyday since first noticing it. Any advice? There are no visible signs of ick or abnormal lesions/colorations. I suppose it could be flukes. Should I try and FW dip or is it safer to just dose prazi? What would y'all do in this situation? TIA for your help!

Tank Parameters
Size: 3 gal
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 34 PPT
pH: 8.2
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0 (attempting to bring this up with more feeding, but I think my softies are eating it up)

Inhabitants:
Tailspot Blenny
Cerith x3
Toadstool
GSP
Ricordea
Candy Cane
Blasto

Tank is dealing with some diatoms and GHA but the ceriths are making quick work of it so there isn't much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sounds like it may be flukes. You can do a 5 minute freshwater dip in same temperature as display tank and treat with prazi pro for two 8 day cycles

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, hoping for some advice on my tailspot blenny in my pico reef. He's been in the tank for about 1.5 months now, looks healthy, swims around, and eats regularly. Unfortunately I just started noticing him flashing periodically this last week. It's not constant, but I've seen it everyday since first noticing it. Any advice? There are no visible signs of ick or abnormal lesions/colorations. I suppose it could be flukes. Should I try and FW dip or is it safer to just dose prazi? What would y'all do in this situation? TIA for your help!

Tank Parameters
Size: 3 gal
Temp: 78F
Salinity: 34 PPT
pH: 8.2
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0 (attempting to bring this up with more feeding, but I think my softies are eating it up)

Inhabitants:
Tailspot Blenny
Cerith x3
Toadstool
GSP
Ricordea
Candy Cane
Blasto

Tank is dealing with some diatoms and GHA but the ceriths are making quick work of it so there isn't much.
Prazipro would be what I would do. If you can catch it without tearing the tank up you could start with a FW dip to help jump start the process.
Be sure to aerate the tank well during the treatment. A big issue with these small tanks is getting an accurate tank volume. You must know how much water the tank actually holds.
Jay

OP
OP
S

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both, yeah I’m actually hoping it’s flukes and not some form of invisible ich. He’s the only fish I intend to keep so I’m pretty fond of him. I might just treat with prazi because it sounds like it may be less stressful for both of us :face-with-tears-of-joy: does it tend to be pretty effective if it is indeed flukes? Also, is prazi safe for all the corals and snails? Thanks again!

OP
OP
S

SilkySifaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both, yeah I’m actually hoping it’s flukes and not some form of invisible ich. He’s the only fish I intend to keep so I’m pretty fond of him. I might just treat with prazi because it sounds like it may be less stressful for both of us :face-with-tears-of-joy: does it tend to be pretty effective if it is indeed flukes? Also, is prazi safe for all the corals and snails? Thanks again!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back