Take out Tang with ICH or leave in?

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 with 8 fish in it. 2 lyrtail anthias, 2 clowns, 1 naso tang 1 yellow tang and 1 powder blue tang. The powder blue has ich, i only have a 10 gallon tank to set up to treat. Should I leave the powder blue in the tank and see if it runs it coarse or take it out? There is no way i can catch all the fish so is it worth just treating the powder blue? If i treat and put back in im sure he will get beat up. Suggestions

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible I would take out. From my experience, the powder blue passes the ich to other tank mates when it gets bad. I've wiped out all my fish before because of this fish

OP
OP
MounteeFrag

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok its out and in the 10 gallon. Its like its blind. I think i could od picked it up with my hands

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realive that regardless of the PBT being out and in QT, your DT and the rest of your fish are already infected with ich regardless of not seeing visible signs yet. Best route is to qt all fish and leave DT fallow for 12 weeks.

OP
OP
MounteeFrag

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize a lot of things when it comes to this hobby. There is no way i can catch all the fish in my DT. So i figure I'll treat the one that is showing signs of it. And hope for the best.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize a lot of things when it comes to this hobby. There is no way i can catch all the fish in my DT. So i figure I'll treat the one that is showing signs of it. And hope for the best.

This is going to accomplish nothing. Even if you treated and cured your pbt, when you put it back in the DT, it will be reinfected. In the meantime, it is likely that your other fish will start to show signs of Ich. They ARE infected.

The only option is to get them all out of the tank and treat them in qt. I understand this is not possible for you, so I think you are going to have a rough ride. Good luck.

F430Lou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would have to agree with saw. Unfortunately I'm going through the same with my tank. My infected was a blue hippo. Dang Dori! Already removed her but my other fish are all infected . In the process of arranging qt for my other guys. Only way to fix this disease for good.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
putting the PB on qt will accomplish nothing even if you are able to rid it of ich. Once you put it back in tha main tank, it gets re infected. Only way to get rid of ich on your main tank is to leave it fishless for 8-10 weeks. BUT....
I have found a recipe that worked for me. It did not get rid of ich in my display but it did made my fish immune system stronger to fight off the parasite. If you are willing to try it,here it is:
* get a small container, add ro water to it (enough to thaw frozen food). Add .5ml of Brightwell AQ vitamin c to the ro water, add 2.5ml of Reef Plus, add 2 drops of Garlic Extreme and most importantly these 2 ingredients. Add ONE scoop of Focus and ONE scoop of Metronidazole per cube of fish food. Both Focus and Metronidazole are made by Seachem. Mix them very well and let sit for 10 mins and feed. Needs to be done 40 days to be effective. Reef safe? So far I used it on my reef for 40 days and never lost anything. You have to stick to the recipe to the dot and not more or less of the ingredients.

Last edited:

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had a powder blue with ICH. I panicked and spoke with an old time reefer (now 88yrs old). He said that a weakened fish with ICH would most likely die from the chase of trying to catch and living a samll QT would not help him either.
He told us to keep the fish well fed, pristine & stable water parameters and a stress free tank and the PB would get over it. He also explained that although the other fish probably now have it was very unlikely to show any signs if they were healthy strong specimens that were stress free. He said that the ICH now forever lives in the DT but was unlikely to rear is ugly head again if we followed his first 3 steps.
So we fed well, pristine water and stress free tank. No other fish (we have 5) tangs altogether actually showed any signs of the ICH, powder blue got over it and all good now.
We later added a Blue (hippo tang) that did also show ICH when first placed in the tank, once again no other fish showed signs, he got over it and for 15 months now is has not shown up again.
His belief also was that once it had shown up in your tank, any fish that showed signs of it and survived was less likely to ever have it again, or if it did it would be a much milder case.
His theory was that by placing 5 tangs and numerous other fish in a QT was extremely stressful (not just size of QT but the catching )and more likely to kill them than the ICH itself.
It worked for us, and although we know it now lives in the tank we have not had another outbreak for over 15 months.
I understand that this might not be other reefers views & I will probably get shot down in flames for this post, but we had faith in our system and the old timers ideas and so far it has worked 100%

babyjess210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had a powder blue with ICH. I panicked and spoke with an old time reefer (now 88yrs old). He said that a weakened fish with ICH would most likely die from the chase of trying to catch and living a samll QT would not help him either.
He told us to keep the fish well fed, pristine & stable water parameters and a stress free tank and the PB would get over it. He also explained that although the other fish probably now have it was very unlikely to show any signs if they were healthy strong specimens that were stress free. He said that the ICH now forever lives in the DT but was unlikely to rear is ugly head again if we followed his first 3 steps.
So we fed well, pristine water and stress free tank. No other fish (we have 5) tangs altogether actually showed any signs of the ICH, powder blue got over it and all good now.
We later added a Blue (hippo tang) that did also show ICH when first placed in the tank, once again no other fish showed signs, he got over it and for 15 months now is has not shown up again.
His belief also was that once it had shown up in your tank, any fish that showed signs of it and survived was less likely to ever have it again, or if it did it would be a much milder case.
His theory was that by placing 5 tangs and numerous other fish in a QT was extremely stressful (not just size of QT but the catching )and more likely to kill them than the ICH itself.
It worked for us, and although we know it now lives in the tank we have not had another outbreak for over 15 months.
I understand that this might not be other reefers views & I will probably get shot down in flames for this post, but we had faith in our system and the old timers ideas and so far it has worked 100%

Very good advice!!! I too had a PBT in my display with ick and then the naso had ick also but with a good feeding of garlic soak nori and my 4 year old cleaner wrasse all was good after couple weeks

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know some people hate this idea . I am surprised I don't need a fire extinguisher or tang police are after me. Lol

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have left him in the main tank. I picked up a blue tang that was infested with ich. He gave it to my other tangs but after a couple weeks of a stress free place to live no signs of ich on any fish. That was year or more ago. Now he is fat and healthy.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the fact he is in a 10g & swimming in circles says problems to me. More problems than a simple case of ich could ever be for him !

OP
OP
MounteeFrag

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, he currently is not eating and swimming in circles (slowly ) hopefully whatever is causing this subsides soon or he will die of starvation

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try live brine ? Or I know it's to ideal long term but frozen bloodworm works a treat nori on a piece of rock or chateau out the sump ?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back