Taking on a difficult challenge (2 expert fish)

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you took the idol out, they don’t belong in a 75g. As for the cbb they don’t always eat aiptasia. Try a clam on the half shell as well. They are not too difficult of a fish.
I've tried clams, it didn't work

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any feather dusters? They love those. My experience is after they picked clean the rocks then they start accepting frozen.
Yea, there's some feather dusters in there too, not any huge ones but some good sized ones. I'm worried now just bc he doesn't seem to be interested in eating at all. The only sign of parasites is one white spot on its beak and breathing a little heavy but not far from normal.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually if he doesn't eat ill have to put him in the dt, maybe that will trigger it

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt’ing fish is just a stressor, best to just dump them in the dt, imo. When it comes to “difficult” fish, I’ve found this the best method, then again I don’t qt regardless.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They often arrive with Injuries to the mouth. Check closely and treat with anti biotic if needed. Clams and live black worms are usually the best bet.

They are difficult fish at first, but if you can get them settled they do well.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt’ing fish is just a stressor, best to just dump them in the dt, imo. When it comes to “difficult” fish, I’ve found this the best method, then again I don’t qt regardless.
Well I thought that a qt tank might help getting him to start eating. I'm wondering if that might be the best idea though
this is all he's been doing lately

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They often arrive with Injuries to the mouth. Check closely and treat with anti biotic if needed. Clams and live black worms are usually the best bet.

They are difficult fish at first, but if you can get them settled they do well.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the info, I don't think it has any since he was eating yesterday, I feel like he just quit from stress

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought that a qt tank might help getting him to start eating. I'm wondering if that might be the best idea though

Only a good idea if you are comfortable in jeopardizing your existing fish.

Adding a dither fish to qt would be an option.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a good idea if you are comfortable in jeopardizing your existing fish.

Adding a dither fish to qt would be an option.

Haven’t gt’d a fish in 11 years if the hobby, not gonna start now lol.

I post a lot on rc. You can see my regal angel, idol, cbb, blonde naso, etc. w/I ever gt’d and just as healthy as ever.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangtime,

Congratulations on your success. I was responding to the OP and never suggested that you should start qt.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if I had a qt tank that stayed running all the time and had stable parameters it would have worked better. I decided to put him in a chamber in my sump thats big enough for his size (he's only like an inch big rn) and sure enough he started picking and eating baby brine again. So from here, I feel like my options are to keep introducing different foods to him and hopefully he'll last long enough on the brine to adapt to another food source.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it works out well. They are great fish and I think well worth the effort it takes to get them settled.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how friendly R2R is, but I feel like this whole thread could be used in a campaign against the hobby. What in the world were you thinking? Why would you order an idol with your current set up? Sigh....

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, there's some feather dusters in there too, not any huge ones but some good sized ones. I'm worried now just bc he doesn't seem to be interested in eating at all. The only sign of parasites is one white spot on its beak and breathing a little heavy but not far from normal.
Can you post a video of it's breathing? I can't see it in the one you posted, but I don't think there's anything wrong with his swim patterns in that video. Also, a good pic of the white spot would help but as mentioned above, beak injuries are common with transport of these guys. It could possibly be Lymphocystis which is very common with stressed out Copperbands but I think that usually starts on the fins (but I'm not sure). It's usually harmless and goes away on its own.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qting difficult and timid fish often can help them have success. They can get used to food without competition and can avoid any intimidation from tankmates.

Actually, the competition for food aids in getting difficult fish to eat, as it sees others eating and then begins to much such behavior. Creating a feeding frenzy is one of the best methods to get stubborn fish to eat.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back