OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the "little people" rejoiced! Merry Christmas Patrick as we celebrate our Saviour's birth!

And the Word was made Flesh and dwelt amongst us.

@Dawn
I think one of the biggest reasons I can be passionate about reef keeping after 50 years is I see “Intelligent Design” in how everything is interconnected & interdependent. With recent research on the Coral Holibiont, it has become evident that coral & bacteria crosstalk to alter “gene expression“ to enhance their environment. As an observer of nature, I have come to embrace the concept of “less technology & more biology” and I strive to “emulate nature”. It brings me great joy to grow in tank live food as the “microbial loop” moves carbon up the food chain.

I continue Caribbean theme with addition of some deep water NPS Gorgonians.

1672061986008.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 26

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the Word was made Flesh and dwelt amongst us.

@Dawn
I think one of the biggest reasons I can be passionate about reef keeping after 50 years is I see “Intelligent Design” in how everything is interconnected & interdependent. With recent research on the Coral Holibiont, it has become evident that coral & bacteria crosstalk to alter “gene expression“ to enhance their environment. As an observer of nature, I have come to embrace the concept of “less technology & more biology” and I strive to “emulate nature”. It brings me great joy to grow in tank live food as the “microbial loop” moves carbon up the food chain.

I continue Caribbean theme with addition of some deep water NPS Gorgonians.

1672061986008.jpeg
Amen to all that, Patrick. Everything proclaims our Lord's majesty!

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving green feather Caulerpa around to contrast colors & texture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel

I have not had good success with gorgonions until recently. In twenty five year young display, on two seperate diver collected GOM live rocks are nice hitch hikers. The larger Gorgonion in the third picture was bought from live plants four months ago and started a new growth on a seperate rock that it touched.

In duel 55G tanks, the top tank at 18 months mature in a low light environment is developing into a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon. Last week, in front of Christmas, I received two deep water NPS gorgonions that are absolutely gorgeous. They are both “feathered up”, yet the one on the left that fell over into horizontal plan has polyps further extended than the one in flow path of HOB filter discharge. I am considering repositioning it into a less turbulent area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame scallop used his foot to pull himself up with better viewing for me. Hopefully, this will be a permanent location using tendrils for attachment.

I really like the biochemistry in this tank with high flow cryptic refugiums in cannister filter and reverse flow undergravel filter with nutrient recycling as a mainstay in my husbandry of marine systems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Scallop feeding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing out 12VDC automobile light bar at 6K color rendition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel
Note Caulerpa Paspoidies under intense light in 1 month mature tank. Three days ago it went partially sexual and I added 20ml of ammonia for three days in a row. There is very much new green growth.

Baby starfish came in with rock from 30G seaweed tank. Also attached to this rock is Halymenia and after reading what Russ Kronwetter said about it being collected in deeper water, I will move it to low light tank on top.

HALYMENIA FLORIDANA
redalgae.bmp
An interesting species of Halymenia that is highly variable in color, ranging from bright yellow to red depending on the depth collected. Like all species of Halymenia, it is gelatinous and smooth in texture and is easily torn. This particular species stays rather compact and its blades rounded and irregular similar to species of Ulva. Most Halymenia grow in rather deep locations so do not require much lighting. Specimens are normally collected free floating or attached to coral rubble by a single holdfast. In the aquarium they will seldom attach so they must be anchored or allowed to tumble as free floating specimens. H. Floridana is very palatable and is readily eaten by both Tangs and Angelfish.​
halymeniafloridana1.jpg
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Halymenia Floridana
Common Name: Red Sea Lettuce
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Atlantic
Maximum Height : 18"
Growth Rate: Moderate
Light: Moderate to Low
Temperature: 76-82
Propagation: Fragmentation, Sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Very palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Good
Flow Rate: Moderate to High
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.​

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 6 weeks young, the lower 55G tank has much more circulation and with diy lighting, much more intense illumination.

This one Gracilaria Hayi went sexual due to low nitrogen with intense lighting which requires higher growth rate. One week ago, Caulerpa Paspoides partially went sexual which is a survival technique. I pruned off sections and dosed ammonia for three days with new emerging growth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint Shrimp eat Flower Anemone. So far, the shrimps have left Rocordia alone. I moved what was left of flower into high light 55G tank on bottom.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint Shrimp eat Flower Anemone. So far, the shrimps have left Rocordia alone. I moved what was left of flower into high light 55G tank on bottom.
How dare they make a meal of the RFA! Shame on them.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How dare they make a meal of the RFA! Shame on them.
I added 6 Peppermints about a month ago to top 55 tank. In my effort to thin out live rock with pest from established tanks, I am using dual 55G tanks. Tank on top is second stage of the sanitation process. First stage is on me with tweezers, toothbrushes, injection needles and PEROXIDE. Aptasia and Asterina starfish are the major pests.

For me, second stage of sanitation is the BEST. With minimum technology, I observe nature without man’s excessive intervention. John Tullock said it best in his book, The Natural Aquarium, Less Technology/More Biology. In much later research, the complexity of the Coral Holibiont showed crosstalk between corals & bacteria, crosstalk between bacteria in surface film of macro algae and bacteria in macro internal biomass to alter environmental conditions to their benefit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel
Check out comparison of low light Caulerpa growth (#1 picture) with high light intensity tank. Some of Caulerpa Paspoidies needs pruning and should be pruned regularly. The tangs love it.

Prior to this fast growing Caulerpa going sexual, the main stems triple in diameter and begin to ooze white into the water.

Even though Sargassum seaweed is grouped under brown macro, with 6K light spectrum, it looks golden. The last picture is flower anemone injured by peppermint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 38

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel
Check out comparison of low light Caulerpa growth (#1 picture) with high light intensity tank. Some of Caulerpa Paspoidies needs pruning and should be pruned regularly. The tangs love it.

Prior to this fast growing Caulerpa going sexual, the main stems triple in diameter and begin to ooze white into the water.

Even though Sargassum seaweed is grouped under brown macro, with 6K light spectrum, it looks golden. The last picture is flower anemone injured by peppermint.
That Sargassum is gorgeous! Let me know how it does for you and what conditions (besides high light) that favors it.

Wow, that poor RFA! It looks pretty bad. Do you think it has any chance of recovery?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Sargassum is gorgeous! Let me know how it does for you and what conditions (besides high light) that favors it.

Wow, that poor RFA! It looks pretty bad. Do you think it has any chance of recovery?
I feel he will recover. I see 2 iridescent polyps 24 hours after put in lower tank. There are no predators in this tank. I ghost feed mussels and dose ammonia, so I have little need for janitors to clean this tank.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what Russ Kronwetter at live plants says:

SARGASSUM PLATYCARPUM
brownalgae.bmp
Species of the brown algae Sargassum are among the most prolific of all brown algae in the Caribbean. This particular species features serrated, gold-brown leaves that form from a series of thick, main branches. Air bladders are common on this species and help to keep the plant upright. Mature plants often reach heights of 30" or more in deeper environments, but most are found in shallow water. Anchored varieties are most suitable for the marine aquarium and have a very sturdy holdfast that is able to securely anchor itself in very turbulent environments. In the aquarium they require bright lighting and moderate to high flow rates for optimal growth. A large plant, that needs to be pruned often. Many hobbyists often encounter this species, as well as others, on imported and aqua-cultured live rock. Not known to be very palatable to fish.​
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Sargassum Platycarpum
Common Name: Sargassum
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Atlantic
Depth Collected: 3 - 20 feet
Maximum Height : 30"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: High
Temperature: 68-78
Propagation: Fragmentation, Sporulation
Difficulty: Advanced
Food Value: Not very palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Fair
Flow Rate: Moderate to High
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unless otherwise noted and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.​

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I bought Sargassum once from GCE so I knew that is what they wrote. I bought it when I had T5 lights and a lot less flow. I will be interested if you have more success with it than I did, and what your thoughts are on your experience with it. Mine basically never flourished and diminished until it just disappeared. I would be willing to try again if I thought the conditions in my aquarium are more favorable for it. I know Michael Hoaster kept a nice sprig that grew into a very nice specimen but it came as a hitch hiker on live rock. I wondered if that increases the chances of it flourishing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back