OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tumbled Gracilaria Hayi, I doubled density every 2 weeks.

In general, for robust growth I dose liquid seaweed concentrate every 2 days. If your source of seaweed concentrate doesn’t have nitrogen then dose clear ammonia at 1 ml per 10G of system water every 2 days.

I have had both Gracilaria Hayi & Gracilaria Parvispora analyzed at regional agriculture lab: N:p ratio was 30:1 & 32:1
Note: It us not necessary to maintain that ratio, it is only necessary to have sufficient ampunts uf each element.

The highest nutrient does not control growth rate but a limiting trace element

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dawn,
I emulated your lower temperature approach as I have no heaters for indoor tanks. Things seem to do better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 23

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These tanks are amazing to me. Nothing beats letting nature do what it was designed to do!
In recent years I gave begun doing the same thing with my tanks, though I'm not able to remove everything for an UG so I had to leave that out. What started as a reef display that required weekly water changes and constant dosing has evolved into a tank that I only have to feed and occasionally replenish elements. Acros don't like my lazy approach, but I can grow everything else like lightning.
I'm about to set up some propagation tubs for macroalgae, invertebrate propagation, and coral spawning, and I plan to mimic your method.
I'm curious, what ever happened to the sea apple mentioned in the first post? I've had similar success as you gave with the flame scallops and am always looking to test my luck haha.
Have a great day and God bless.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of an electrical problem in a wall behind dual 55G tanks, I will relocate dual 55G stand to kitchen alcove. The 30G tank previously there was moved to utility room where I added a 20G tank on bottom for a Berghia nudibranch cultivation tank.

The 55G tank that was located on bottom was disassembled with corals, sponges & ornamental macros all treated with quadruple dose of flatwom exit and moved to outside mariculture growout system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature dropped into mid 30s last night with uninsulated 55G glass tank dropped to 58.6 degrees. Sun has been on tank for 1 hour and temperature is 63.5 degrees at 11am. Heater thermostat set at
68 degrees. Before the end of the afternoon. I expect temperature to hit 78 degrees.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

55G tank is progressing nicely from being moved 1 week ago. All sand lightly RIPPED in fresh water. Prior to reintroducing water & sand, I installed reverse flow under-gravel filter. All previous mature corals & live rock was put into several different systems during relocation and start up.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 Matted Filefish as a possible candidate for Aptasia consumer: one each went into 120G & 75G displays and one went into 30G holding tank full of macro algae. These fish are very shy. As yet, I have not seen Filefish in 120 or 75. It took 3 days for me to see him in 30G seaweed holding tank. I transferred him yesterday and noted him feeding on frozen food. In another day I will back off food into the tank. This ecosystem is priducing enough food for mollies & filefish to forage and earn the marketing name Aptasia Eating Filefish.

PS: I can’t see what I saw with my eyes.

IMG_1920.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw filefish in 120G swimming boldly amongst The Tangs & Drawf Angels as he hunted. Too fast/no pictures.

I have transferred more stuff into 55G tank moved into dining room alcove. The light spectrum on this HOB pico rubble refugium.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With different ornamental sponges in different systems, I find a common problem to be algae/bacteria covering outer surfaces, requiring mechanical removal with a toothbrush. I assure you, tooth brusing is gentle compared to lawn mower blennie & hippo tang grazing.

So, this HOB refugium is an experiment in “are janitors sufficient for grooming your ecosystems”.

Note that HOB refugium is 6.5 K color spectrum and display is 10K.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminiscing, one year ago, I posted on this thread:

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because this sponge is attacked to rock, yelluw ball sponge needs a toothbrush do-over.

Second picture shows orange elephant ear that needs janitor work and third picture shows the same elephant ear under 6.5K color spectrum not needing janitor work. One minute between pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just call me SpongeBob. I do like the Orange Elephant Ear and the Yellow Ball Sponge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially, I thought pod refugium with reef rubble.

Now, I like “janitors workshop”, especially for cleaning SpongeBob. Previous sponge cleaning involved a tooth brush. I much more prefer blue leged hermits.

So, I already said bright color contrast remind me of Christmas. Now I have BLUE hermits cleaning YELLOW Balls and ORANGE Elephant Ears

Ball Sponge (Cinachyra alloclada)
orangeballgallery.bmp
The yellow balls sponge features a crater like surface with irregular shaped holes. This particular sponge is fairly hardy in the aquarium. We collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live food available. Do not expose directly to the air as it can block the feeding passage and will often kill the sponge. We offer single specimens ranging in size from 3-4" in diameter.
Use the drop down menu below to add multipl

Elephant Ear Sponge (Agelas clathrodes)
spongeelephant.bmp
This species of orange colored sponge features smooth, ruffled lobes resembling ears. They are very compact and each has a different and unique shape. We collect smaller specimens as they seem to do better in the aquarium. All sponges are filter feeders and should only be placed in established aquariums with plenty of live food available. Do not expose directly to the air as the drying out of any tissue will often kill the sponge. We offer single specimens ranging in size from 2-4" in diameter.
Use the drop down menu below to add multiple items to the same bag to save on shipping costs.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First light. Merry Christmas: last picture is from front porch on Bear Creek: Hello Moon!

PS: Hunter, at 125lbs, adopted me 3 years ago. He was having a “neighbor walkabout“ and stopped to eat table scraps from compost bin below kitchen window. Aparanly he likes my cooking so he staid.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas to the tanks as the Almond Brothers,
”Eat a Peach” and they be jamming.

First light freeze this year: all good with all tanks > 60F

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dawn,
I have a 30G tank of wild phytoplankton outdoors. It’s been sustainable for 60 days. I moved it once to get more sun on kids playground set. I also wrapped it with dense insulation. Inexpensive heaters at lowest settings of 68 for seaweed & sponge cultivation tanks and 80 for phyo tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 20

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back