Tang Abdomen issues

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
my tough as nails black tang has quickly developed stomach issues. I’m not sure if it’s both internal and external, but there’s markings or scratches on the sides of the stomach. The tang also seems to be unable to poop.

it is very agitated and in obvious distress. Does anyone have an idea on what this could be? No other fish is affected. Here’s a video:

thank you!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tang is eating feeding it boiled green peas with the skins removed will help things get "moving" again. Can also add 1 tablespoon of plain USP epsom salts (unscented) to 5 gallons of tank water. It's also a laxative. And it will raise the mag levels in the tank a bit.

If you are thinking it may have internal parasites, the most common treatment is if it is eating to feed food + General Cure + Focus + a pinch of epsom salts + Focus. Can feed twice a day for 10-14 days.

If it is not eating, a more serious approach is for Kanaplex + Neoplex in a QT dosed into the water. Treat for 10-14 days. And then observe.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you very much. Will see how he is tomorrow and will proceed with those options.

I appreciate your quick help!

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang is not better today and is not eating as it’s too focused on this issue.

there appears to be a hairy like excrement hanging out of its butt the past 24 hours and it won’t escape. I think the intestines or stomach are blocked. If he can’t eat, what are my options? Medicate in a QT tank?

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I likely can not get the fish out of the system. So a reef safe display treatment might be needed if it’s doesn’t eat....

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back