Tang aggression- accepting the fact and not risking again

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mostly me venting, having been humbled today, with the death of my stunning powder brown tang, but also maybe hoping that others will come across this thread and reconsider having multiple tangs in one tank, as I have now done. There are plenty of people that have been successful doing this and are happy to tell you how, but no matter what you do to minimize aggression, it is still a big big risk. A risk I wish I had never taken.

I got lucky to begin with the PBT, as it was such a friendly and calm fish that it was eating nori out of my hand by the second day I had it. I swear it came out of the bag hungry and never hid from me from the very first time it left the bag, as it was always on the move. Without a doubt my most favorite fish ever. About three weeks ago I moved it out of QT where it had been since Christmas, to my new and empty 3’6 x 5’ 300 gallon setup. It was so healthy, loving the extra space, and riding in the powerhead flow all day, and constantly hungry. I had intended on moving my yellow tang, clown, and gramma from another tank into the 300 gallon setup from the start and thought I had a good plan to do so. Boy was I wrong.

I had seen several videos on youtube about keeping multiple tangs, read forum posts, and tried to get all the info I could about mixing tangs. The general consensus was you must have a large tank, introduce all tangs at once and preferably as juveniles, or at least from least to most aggressive, that you should not mix tangs of the same genus, and then feed heavily, and have a plan b if things go wrong. Both tangs were equally matched in size and health, but I already knew the YT could be a little aggressive, as I’ve had it longer and watched it threaten my larger 4” maroon clown so I decided it should go in second. I also separated them at first with an egg crate which was my plan b as I could divide it down the middle giving each 150 gallons, until I could rehome the yellow if it didn’t work out. The first morning though, after the yellow went in, it found its way around the partition by going under where there was a dip in the sand bed and when the lights came on both fish met. I watched for a while as they would swim parallel sizing each other up, but with no engagement. After a while, the YT started to back up and I separated them right away. I put the partition back and fixed the way around and left them apart for a couple days. I tried to let them meet again, with the intention of permanent separation if things went awry. This time the yellow seemed less aggressive when they met , and after a while of watching them swim past each other with little notice, I left them together the whole day, periodically checking on them. After a few days, it seemed like they barely noticed each other anymore and there had only been a couple minor altercations. I thought I had found success. I’m working from home, so I’ve been spending a lot of time watching them and in a week since they were put together had only seen the YT backup towards the PBT twice and never saw the pbt be the aggressor. Most times they were either swimming together peacefully or apart with neither concerned or harassing the other. This morning I found the pbt sideways with multiple puncture wounds and a slit gill. This amazing fish is now dead all because I chose to not go by the book and thought I was savvy enough to be able to maintain the peace. Maybe it would have worked out eventually with three or five tangs to disperse the aggression, but it only took an instant for things to go from a seemingly peaceful existence to a dead fish.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.. sometimes bad things happen even thought we have the best intentions..

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.. sometimes bad things happen even thought we have the best intentions..
Thanks . I suppose. Would have been easier to swallow had it been a disease, or a heater malfunction, or something besides my own arrogance.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there... Except mine was with a Black tang..
I feel your pain...
Fish are people too. They all have different personalities. You need to take that into consideration whenever adding new fish.
Some fish can just be jerks.. some are super mellow even though the same species have a reputation. And sometimes... You just get unlucky...

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mostly me venting, having been humbled today, with the death of my stunning powder brown tang, but also maybe hoping that others will come across this thread and reconsider having multiple tangs in one tank, as I have now done. There are plenty of people that have been successful doing this and are happy to tell you how, but no matter what you do to minimize aggression, it is still a big big risk. A risk I wish I had never taken.

I got lucky to begin with the PBT, as it was such a friendly and calm fish that it was eating nori out of my hand by the second day I had it. I swear it came out of the bag hungry and never hid from me from the very first time it left the bag, as it was always on the move. Without a doubt my most favorite fish ever. About three weeks ago I moved it out of QT where it had been since Christmas, to my new and empty 3’6 x 5’ 300 gallon setup. It was so healthy, loving the extra space, and riding in the powerhead flow all day, and constantly hungry. I had intended on moving my yellow tang, clown, and gramma from another tank into the 300 gallon setup from the start and thought I had a good plan to do so. Boy was I wrong.

I had seen several videos on youtube about keeping multiple tangs, read forum posts, and tried to get all the info I could about mixing tangs. The general consensus was you must have a large tank, introduce all tangs at once and preferably as juveniles, or at least from least to most aggressive, that you should not mix tangs of the same genus, and then feed heavily, and have a plan b if things go wrong. Both tangs were equally matched in size and health, but I already knew the YT could be a little aggressive, as I’ve had it longer and watched it threaten my larger 4” maroon clown so I decided it should go in second. I also separated them at first with an egg crate which was my plan b as I could divide it down the middle giving each 150 gallons, until I could rehome the yellow if it didn’t work out. The first morning though, after the yellow went in, it found its way around the partition by going under where there was a dip in the sand bed and when the lights came on both fish met. I watched for a while as they would swim parallel sizing each other up, but with no engagement. After a while, the YT started to back up and I separated them right away. I put the partition back and fixed the way around and left them apart for a couple days. I tried to let them meet again, with the intention of permanent separation if things went awry. This time the yellow seemed less aggressive when they met , and after a while of watching them swim past each other with little notice, I left them together the whole day, periodically checking on them. After a few days, it seemed like they barely noticed each other anymore and there had only been a couple minor altercations. I thought I had found success. I’m working from home, so I’ve been spending a lot of time watching them and in a week since they were put together had only seen the YT backup towards the PBT twice and never saw the pbt be the aggressor. Most times they were either swimming together peacefully or apart with neither concerned or harassing the other. This morning I found the pbt sideways with multiple puncture wounds and a slit gill. This amazing fish is now dead all because I chose to not go by the book and thought I was savvy enough to be able to maintain the peace. Maybe it would have worked out eventually with three or five tangs to disperse the aggression, but it only took an instant for things to go from a seemingly peaceful existence to a dead fish.
So sorry to hear about this man, I once had a similar situation with a freshwater tank when my aro jumped out of the tank and broke his back.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there... Except mine was with a Black tang..
I feel your pain...
Fish are people too. They all have different personalities. You need to take that into consideration whenever adding new fish.
Some fish can just be jerks.. some are super mellow even though the same species have a reputation. And sometimes... You just get unlucky...
I just wish I had not let myself believe that they could work it out if I was careful enough and just rehomed the yellow from the start. Lesson learned. Never mixing tangs again. It s not fair to the fish to risk it in hopes of having my dream stock list.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man thats a tough one. In my 120 I had 8 fish and wanted a tang as the last fish. I went to get a convict tang that just came in. Went home with a thin convict tang and a fin battered Tomini tang.
They went in together.
Both are fat and happy after 2 months.
Maybe I got lucky.
I think the 6 chromis are so active that it keeps everything moving/ distracted in the tank.
20200412_155214.jpg

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man thats a tough one. In my 120 I had 8 fish and wanted a tang as the last fish. I went to get a convict tang that just came in. Went home with a thin convict tang and a fin battered Tomini tang.
They went in together.
Maybe I got lucky.
I think the 6 chromis are so active that it keeps everything moving/ distracted in the tank.
20200412_155214.jpg
Beautiful fish

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry for the loss. Your tank is definitely large enough to handle multiple tangs. Sometimes just having two intensifies the aggression. I have discovered having the most aggressive fish be a non-tang really helps maintain the peace.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish I had not let myself believe that they could work it out if I was careful enough and just rehomed the yellow from the start. Lesson learned. Never mixing tangs again. It s not fair to the fish to risk it in hopes of having my dream stock list.
Before you say never.. let me give you little story..
Way back when I started my 240, I had a Yellow Eye Tang.. Normally, they are mellow and could care less about other fish in the tank... Problem was, my yellow eye was a total jerk. Killed a Blue tang, Foxface, Flame Angel just to name a few.. I decided to mess with him by adding 5 yellow tangs. All at the same time... Worked a treat. Stupid yellow eye didn't know who to chase 1st.. and there was very little agreasion from anybody.
Fast forward a few months and I added a Purple and a Tominni. All was great with the world..
Fast forward about 6 years and now the Purple is beating the snot out of the Yellows, and the Tominni had killed the Yellow Eye.. I rehomed both agressors but added another purple I have, PLUS a Blue I had in another tank for years.
The purple now schools with the yellows and the Blue is completely oblivious to the rest of his tank mates..
It CAN be done, just have to take the fish's personality into consideration.. and... Even though it may work today, it might not further down the road..
Just never say never...

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you say never.. let me give you little story..
Way back when I started my 240, I had a Yellow Eye Tang.. Normally, they are mellow and could care less about other fish in the tank... Problem was, my yellow eye was a total jerk. Killed a Blue tang, Foxface, Flame Angel just to name a few.. I decided to mess with him by adding 5 yellow tangs. All at the same time... Worked a treat. Stupid yellow eye didn't know who to chase 1st.. and there was very little agreasion from anybody.
Fast forward a few months and I added a Purple and a Tominni. All was great with the world..
Fast forward about 6 years and now the Purple is beating the snot out of the Yellows, and the Tominni had killed the Yellow Eye.. I rehomed both agressors but added another purple I have, PLUS a Blue I had in another tank for years.
The purple now schools with the yellows and the Blue is completely oblivious to the rest of his tank mates..
It CAN be done, just have to take the fish's personality into consideration.. and... Even though it may work today, it might not further down the road..
Just never say never...
Sure it can be done, but along the way to getting it done, you lost a yellow eye and blue tang, and had some beat up yellows. I guess the point of my post is that after this loss I'm done with experimenting. I'll keep one tang and pick something else as tank mates. Just not worth the agony or the cost to me. Now I just hope the yellow will allow anything else to go in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry for the loss. Your tank is definitely large enough to handle multiple tangs. Sometimes just having two intensifies the aggression. I have discovered having the most aggressive fish be a non-tang really helps maintain the peace.
Yeah, I was pretty sure just two wouldn't work, but then it seemed like it was, until it didn't.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They went in together.
Maybe I got lucky.
20200412_155214.jpg
I think yellows are just ******s.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the tang... I'd be worried that the next problem would be the maroon clown. Definitely a fish that I will never keep again!

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the tang... I'd be worried that the next problem would be the maroon clown. Definitely a fish that I will never keep again!
I've had no trouble with maroons actually. Been a good community fish for me.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry for the loss. Every fish has a different personality.
I think with zebrasoma family of tangs adding multiple at the same time is key. This way the aggression is dispersed a little more. Also always best to get them when they are small. They get more aggressive as they age specially if they are used to being alone.
In my 300 I have a powder blue, purple, yellow, scopas and hippo tang.
the powder blue is the king of the tank and the only one I have issues with when adding new additions. Everyone else just minds their own business.
i also feed really heavy frequently and feel that helps keeps the tank calm.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read about your pbt, as above never say never.
I have a sopas and a smaller yellow scopas, a black naso and a small convict, I can easily isolate fish and give them a time out, the scopas got a 48 hour isolation when I added the yellow one to settle things down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back