Tang Aggression

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some potentially pretty large fish in a smaller tank.....I am not sure the aggression will ever completely go away unfortunately due to the tang. I would use an acclimation box and put the tusk in it for a few days and see if anything changes.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take an air pump and airline tubing and put the tubing in the intake of a big powerhead / wavemaker like an mp-40 or nero, etc. This will make thousands of micro bubbles and severely limit the visibility in the tank and give the tusk time to escape. use mirrors on each side of tank. rubber band nori to 2 or 3 rocks in the tank. had good luck w this when introducing a new yellow tang to an established one who wanted to kill the new guy. i would expect the aggression to gradually fade. I wouldn't move the fish to a clean QT unless you absolutely have to.
I've never tried this bubble trick, but it sounds like a cool idea. Regardless, when you go to the fish store, I'd recommend also picking up an air pump, airline tubing, and a big sponge filter. These are great to use in a QT (in addition to your HOB). An air driven sponge filter will populate with bottled bacteria very quickly and gives huge surface area for colonization. In a 10G QT, your HOB plus the sponge filter would be all the biological filtration that you'd need for keeping a few fish with no problem. Plus, since you don't have a sump, if you can find a place in your DT to cram/hide the sponge filter, it'll always be ready to go for your QT with no need for bottled bacteria (and will add more biofiltration capacity to your DT).

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some potentially pretty large fish in a smaller tank.....I am not sure the aggression will ever completely go away unfortunately due to the tang. I would use an acclimation box and put the tusk in it for a few days and see if anything changes.
I agree with this statement. I don't know what else you have in your 75G, but even if the sailfin and the tusk are your only two fish that will get big, you probably will have to rehome at least one of them eventually. By the way, I've always wanted a harlequin tusk. However, I need to keep a lot of snails for my CUC and I keep porcelain crabs for my anemones, so that beautiful fish is out of the question for me

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should’ve put a disclaimer in. They will be going into a bigger tank, they’re all small. I forgot people be policing

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about a scopas small and a large yellow tang together.
The yellow is in there now and I want to take my 30g down and I saved a scopas long story but the yellow is 2x the size of the scopas
Bad idea ?
I think so but don't know

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed heavy, use the mirror, and give em a couple of days... I be the sail fin mellows out.
Feed heavy, use the mirror, and give em a couple of days... I be the sail fin mellows out.
I agree with this statement. I don't know what else you have in your 75G, but even if the sailfin and the tusk are your only two fish that will get big, you probably will have to rehome at least one of them eventually. By the way, I've always wanted a harlequin tusk. However, I need to keep a lot of snails for my CUC and I keep porcelain crabs for my anemones, so that beautiful fish is out of the question for me
I don’t have any CUC or inverts. Theyll be going in a bigger tank soon.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellows are notorious for this behavior and it subsides in 24 hrs and moreso in 72 hours.
Lower or turn off white lights and attach a sheet of nori seaweed to a rock to keep it occupied. If you have one, you can also place a mirror at the area the tang seems to favor and it will focus on the " New imaginary yellow tang".
+1 on all of that

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clean frameless mirror taped to a clean side of the tank should do the trick. Make sure the mirror is 3x-4x the length of the fish so it can see itself from a far and follow itself back and forth. When done correctly it will keep it busy indefinitely

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this morning the tusk came out of the corner. The Sailfin bothered him a little. Not as much as yesterday.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this morning the tusk came out of the corner. The Sailfin bothered him a little. Not as much as yesterday.
Sailfins are not all that aggressive. You should be fine, especially if you put them in a larger tank, which you should. Keep the lights off for a day or two to keep the initial aggression down.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins are not all that aggressive. You should be fine, especially if you put them in a larger tank, which you should. Keep the lights off for a day or two to keep the initial aggression down.
Yea that was my thinking on the aggression. It’s like he goes to seek the tusk out. It’s weird

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
as I mentioned, its the first 24hrs. By day 3 it should be virtually no bother to the tusk

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • None.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back