Tang Agression towards other fish

alexjread

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have recently (last 6 months or so) started in the hobby, I have a 600 litre (130 Gallon) tank.

Until last week we had two clownfish, a blue cheek goby, a fire fish and a fox face and all got along extremely well with no real aggression whatsoever.

Last week we bought a gem tang and, since day one, he has been a bit of a nuisance to every other fish.

He’s quite aggressive to all the fish aside from the clowns, he doesn’t like the fox face eating at all and immediately swims over to try and get whatever he has, if the goby or fire fish come out he chases them off quite quickly and even when we turn the lights off of a night he’s still swimming constantly.

I’ve put vitalis algae eaters in the tank and neither the fox face or the tang seem to care about it whatsoever and, it seems no matter how much I feed them the tang is still aggressive towards everything.

Does anyone have any advice or anything which may help make him a little more community friendly etc?

Any help will be massively appreciated.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have recently (last 6 months or so) started in the hobby, I have a 600 litre (130 Gallon) tank.

Until last week we had two clownfish, a blue cheek goby, a fire fish and a fox face and all got along extremely well with no real aggression whatsoever.

Last week we bought a gem tang and, since day one, he has been a bit of a nuisance to every other fish.

He’s quite aggressive to all the fish aside from the clowns, he doesn’t like the fox face eating at all and immediately swims over to try and get whatever he has, if the goby or fire fish come out he chases them off quite quickly and even when we turn the lights off of a night he’s still swimming constantly.

I’ve put vitalis algae eaters in the tank and neither the fox face or the tang seem to care about it whatsoever and, it seems no matter how much I feed them the tang is still aggressive towards everything.

Does anyone have any advice or anything which may help make him a little more community friendly etc?

Well tangs in this family (yellow, purple, scopas, gem) tend to be territorial and aggressive! You could try getting a tang decoy so the gem thinks another tang was added and will take aggression out on that. Mirrors also work. A nori sheet on a clip helps. Is the tank a 6 footer?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Im having tang issues in my tank too except they all want one specific cave. Do you have caves for your gem?

gmflex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a gem and so far no aggression.. It was my last addition to the tank. I have 3 yellow and 1 purple tang in a 220 gallon. The purple bullies 1 of the yellow and leaves this other 2 alone... Strange how they hold aggression toward only some of the fish.

Back