Tang Alternatives for 40g Standard

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have a 40g standard (tall) and I'm looking for an alternative to a Tang for their utilitarian uses. I like the idea of having a good cleaner, reef safe, that looks pretty good as well. Yellow Tang fits that bill but my tank is much too small, and I'm likely 1 year or more from an upgrade. What fish do ya'll recommend that will give me similar results to the Tang while being happy in a 40g?

Edit: I'll have a pair of Clowns in here, and a CuC of various inverts as well as a Sixline Wrasse to start. So the less aggressive, the better. Still doing research on stock at the moment.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins. No fish (well, no fish that's actually attractive) is going to give you results that surpass what a little tuxedo urchin can give. If algae is really a problem, you can try a mule's ear abalone, but they really do need a ton of supplemental feeding, or they'll starve.

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins. No fish (well, no fish that's actually attractive) is going to give you results that surpass what a little tuxedo urchin can give. If algae is really a problem, you can try a mule's ear abalone, but they really do need a ton of supplemental feeding, or they'll starve.
I have thought of getting an urchin, if for no other reason that watching it steal all my stuff and redecorate my aquascape!

Are Tuxedo's reef safe? I know there are some urchins out there that don't play well with some corals/fish. Just want everyone in my tank happy and healthy!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought of getting an urchin, if for no other reason that watching it steal all my stuff and redecorate my aquascape!

Are Tuxedo's reef safe? I know there are some urchins out there that don't play well with some corals/fish. Just want everyone in my tank happy and healthy!
tuxedos are relatively reef safe. As long as everything is glue down.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo urchins are great. By far the best utilitarians in my tank.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like urchins as well. Personally, my pincushion urchin never touched hair algae (when I had a bit of an algae issue) but loves to carve coralline off the rocks.

For smaller fish (than tang), I usually hear lawnmower blenny recommended but never had one. (The bicolor blenny I had for a couple of years and the tailspot blenny I have now never consumed hair algae off the rocks either, though).

PNWoffroader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its sacrilegious but a school of converted saltwater mollies will eat algae. And the best part is they wont break the bank. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as there are many different types you can convert. I have had up to 10 in a tank of different colors all schooling together.

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its sacrilegious but a school of converted saltwater mollies will eat algae. And the best part is they wont break the bank. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as there are many different types you can convert. I have had up to 10 in a tank of different colors all schooling together.
I have about 6 or so various Mollies in my freshwater tanks. Balloons are my favorites, little chonky guys. I have thought about that as a "well I can't decide so yeet" option lol

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bristletooth tang will definitely NOT work long term. Tangs need horizontal swimming space, and a standard 40 doesn’t have that.

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bristletooth tang will definitely NOT work long term. Tangs need horizontal swimming space, and a standard 40 doesn’t have that.
Didn't think so, thus why I'm looking for alternatives. Did consider a Bristletooth as a temporary option but there's no guarantee either of my LFS would buy back or trade, and I couldn't live with myself handing them over to Petco. Definitely leaning towards the Tuxedo Urchin at this point. Gobies look like viable options, but for algae mitigation the ones I've researched thus far fall a bit short. My concern is that of starving the poor thing. I'm more or less going for preventative measures before I have an algae "problem". My tank is still new, so I'm preparing my stocking plan very early on. Research, research, and more research, right?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still new, so I'm preparing my stocking plan very early on. Research, research, and more research, right?
You're definitely going to have to feed your CUC until your microflora/fauna becomes more stable. I've put a tuxedo into a new tank, but it had lots of live rock to graze on. If you're using dead rock, I really would suggest that you add sinking algae pellets and some nori.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't think so, thus why I'm looking for alternatives. Did consider a Bristletooth as a temporary option but there's no guarantee either of my LFS would buy back or trade, and I couldn't live with myself handing them over to Petco. Definitely leaning towards the Tuxedo Urchin at this point. Gobies look like viable options, but for algae mitigation the ones I've researched thus far fall a bit short. My concern is that of starving the poor thing. I'm more or less going for preventative measures before I have an algae "problem". My tank is still new, so I'm preparing my stocking plan very early on. Research, research, and more research, right?

When Biota has court jester gobies back in stock, they would be perfect. Will help with algae, will also eat pellets (because they're captive bred), and will stay fairly small.

OP
OP
PaPaWicked85

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're definitely going to have to feed your CUC until your microflora/fauna becomes more stable. I've put a tuxedo into a new tank, but it had lots of live rock to graze on. If you're using dead rock, I really would suggest that you add sinking algae pellets and some nori.
I'm using Live Rock. However I'm definitely going to keep some nori and algae wafers on hand for supplemental feeding. Any luck with other food types I may need to pick up?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Live Rock. However I'm definitely going to keep some nori and algae wafers on hand for supplemental feeding. Any luck with other food types I may need to pick up?
Live rock from the ocean? Or from a tub in your LFS?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back