Tang disease

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone please let me now what the could possibly be on my gold rimmed tang? Its has developed dark grey spots over the past 2 days, which have now turned to light gray spots that almost looked like its skin is falling off. It has spread mainly over the front half of the fish, on the sides and nose. It would be much appreciated if anyone knows what this is and what I should do for treatment

image.jpg image.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second photo looks like a serious infection. Any white spots? Fast breathing?

In any event, I’d treat in furan 2, metroplex, and kanaplex for 10-14 days in a quarantine, re-dosing as suggested. Did you quarantine the fish?

OP
OP
O

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second photo looks like a serious infection. Any white spots? Fast breathing?

In any event, I’d treat in furan 2, metroplex, and kanaplex for 10-14 days in a quarantine, re-dosing as suggested. Did you quarantine the fish?

It has had a couple fast panic attacks i’d say where it swims extremely fast through the tank, but other than that it stays in 1 open spot, and just now has started swimming slow circles in a small space. I have not quarantined it yet because i dont know what the disease is or if it will wear off or something, but all of the other fish are acting normal. There are slightly high NO3 levels but none of the other fish are affected.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has had a couple fast panic attacks i’d say where it swims extremely fast through the tank, but other than that it stays in 1 open spot, and just now has started swimming slow circles in a small space. I have not quarantined it yet because i dont know what the disease is or if it will wear off or something, but all of the other fish are acting normal. There are slightly high NO3 levels but none of the other fish are affected.
This is likely an infection from a parasite. That’s typically how they start, or an injury.

Since this is an acanthurus tang, he will need to be in a disease-free environment anyway, so I’d start up the quarantine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Follow 4Ford treatment suggestion.
It is irritated and reacting to irritation hence its' behavior.

OP
OP
O

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily the only type of treatment I have on me right now is cupramine. The quarantine is ready with the proper levels, so I am definitely putting him in there, but not sure on the cupramine. I can run to a store tomorrow and get the other treatments, but not within the next 17 hours or so

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily the only type of treatment I have on me right now is cupramine. The quarantine is ready with the proper levels, so I am definitely putting him in there, but not sure on the cupramine. I can run to a store tomorrow and get the other treatments, but not within the next 17 hours or so
This would treat ich and velvet, not infection. Any fish sharing the tank should also be treated, and the tank left fallow for 76 days (fishless) to starve out the parasites.

OP
OP
O

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would treat ich and velvet, not infection. Any fish sharing the tank should also be treated, and the tank left fallow for 76 days (fishless) to starve out the parasites.
What makes ich and velvet different from an infection, because based on the looks of it, im no expert or anything, but it appears to be acting like a external problem, not an infection. He has had these similar problems before but none looking like this, and the cupramine has treated it.

OP
OP
O

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes ich and velvet different from an infection, because based on the looks of it, im no expert or anything, but it appears to be acting like a external problem, not an infection. He has had these similar problems before but none looking like this, and the cupramine has treated it.
The fact that the side of the fish is rotting away, it is reddish, blotchy, etc.

OP
OP
O

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily not sure what information this can lead to but nothing has been added to the tank (fish rocks etc) for a couple months so not sure if that limits it down to anything but thought it may be useful

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to infections, no. The odds of an acanthurus tang not having ich is pretty low, IMO.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back