Tang for an 80 gallon

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sohal and purple on a 90G fowlr. I am not sure how old they are when I got them, about 5 inches long, bought from a closing LFS. both died after 12 years.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Purple and a Yellow in a 75 gallon for a few years before I upgraded and they were fine. As long as you keep them fat, they'll be happy!!!
Don't over crowd!!!
I don't think mine is over crowded, do you? Seven fish, Yellow, 2 damsels, 2 clownfish, filefish and Flame Hawk. All get along well. Will not add any more.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think mine is over crowded, do you? Seven fish, Yellow, 2 damsels, 2 clownfish, filefish and Flame Hawk. All get along well. Will not add any more.
Your tank and its inhabitants look fine. The tank is beautiful and the fish are fat, most people would give their right arm to have a tank like yours. You're good!!!
Enjoy your tank until it's time to upgrade!!!
Hats off!!!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a yellow tang in a 46 gallon should make all of us cringe. what the heck man
90 is pushing it and that is TWICE the size!
Bristletooth tangs are a fair option for a 80.
You cringe now?, you should have seen the poor thing at Petco. Beat up and skinny, stuffed in a 5 or 10 gallon tank. I think I saved him. I was planning on getting a bigger tank but 2 years ago I was forced to quit my bus mechanic job of 20 years due to my health issues. Now am retired, living on SS, can't afford it now.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cringe now?, you should have seen the poor thing at Petco. Beat up and skinny, stuffed in a 5 or 10 gallon tank. I think I saved him. I was planning on getting a bigger tank but 2 years ago I was forced to quit my bus mechanic job of 20 years due to my health issues. Now am retired, living on SS, can't afford it now.
And I don't quar
Your tank and its inhabitants look fine. The tank is beautiful and the fish are fat, most people would give their right arm to have a tank like yours. You're good!!!
Hats off!!!
Thank you my friend. I have a 75 gallon fresh water cichlid tank with a ton of fish, was planning on getting a bigger tank for my cichlids and transfer my reef to the 75 but cannot afford it now unless I get the tank and stand free.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hats off!!!
My 46 gallon bowfront was fresh water for about a year, then I bought a 75 gallon at Petsmart that was 50% off. When I transferred 46 to 75 I then decided to try doing a reef setup, going strong for 4 years now.

OP
OP
T

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 46 gallon bowfront was fresh water for about a year, then I bought a 75 gallon at Petsmart that was 50% off. When I transferred 46 to 75 I then decided to try doing a reef setup, going strong for 4 years now.
it looks good man. Ya like santana said everything looks fat and healthy!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my convict was so thin from lfs but it was eating.
Many say convicts are hard but I nursed mine back to healh.
Nice looking tank by the way, enjoy it.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my convict was so thin from lfs but it was eating.
Many say convicts are hard but I nursed mine back to healh.
Nice looking tank by the way, enjoy it.
Convicts? You talking about the black & white striped damsels? I've had Convicts in fresh water. and thank you.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convicts? You talking about the black & white striped damsels? I've had Convicts in fresh water. and thank you.
Convict tang. White with black prison bars, lol.
20200924_142131.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A fish not being dead doesn't mean it's in a good habitat, it means it's not in a lethal habitat. A dog that stays on a chain in someone's backyard for its whole life won't die of it, but it's not exactly going to be a very happy dog. It's great that you got him out of a bad environment (though you DID encourage that Petco to buy more, since they know they can sell them- you didn't really help anything in the long run), but you should rehome it to someone with a larger tank, so it can be in a good environment instead of a just-not-lethal one.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish not being dead doesn't mean it's in a good habitat, it means it's not in a lethal habitat. A dog that stays on a chain in someone's backyard for its whole life won't die of it, but it's not exactly going to be a very happy dog. It's great that you got him out of a bad environment (though you DID encourage that Petco to buy more, since they know they can sell them- you didn't really help anything in the long run), but you should rehome it to someone with a larger tank, so it can be in a good environment instead of a just-not-lethal one.
He is in a good environment, I gave Petco a lashing for their pathetic salt water section and should give up or hire me to take over. Anyway the manager gave me a good deal on him $15, and I still may find a larger tank for him. He is happy, when I feed them they all come out and up to the surface to eat, he and filefish love nori.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a good environment, I gave Petco a lashing for their pathetic salt water section and should give up or hire me to take over. Anyway the manager gave me a good deal on him $15, and I still may find a larger tank for him. He is happy, when I feed them they all come out and up to the surface to eat, he and filefish love nori.
And I use to be an animal control officer for the Warwick Police Dept., and can appreciate what you are saying.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A fish eating doesn't mean it's happy, it just means it's eating. If tangs do well in 50 gallon tanks, why do people say you can't keep them that way?

Petco is going to continue to have a pathetic saltwater section until it stops being profitable. They don't care about animals, just about profit. I've been to one that had tiny baby dart frogs in stock, but hadn't given the employees any info on how to keep them alive, and didn't even make sure to have a proper-sized food for them. Poor things were in there with pinhead crickets the size of their heads. Yelling at the employees won't change anything, either- they don't control the decisions about what to get in.

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

I wanted to get opinions on a possible tang for my 80 gal. It’s 48x24x16. I appreciate everyone’s opinions. I plan on upgrading to at least a 150 in a year or two. Thanks!

potential stocking list:
1 or 2 tangs
1 foxface
2 wrasses
Diamond goby
There is too many opinions in this topic, and its hard to know. I personally dont see a problem putting any tang in a 90gallon. I have 2 yellows and a blue in my 65gallon with no issues. Do what you want man, because most of the time it will likely turn out. Good luck.

Ryan

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, it will not. Otherwise, more people would do it. I ask the question again: why do people say the minimum tank size is much bigger than that, if it's not? Is there a conspiracy by the giant tank manufacturers?

You should not "do what you want" in this hobby. You should do what works, or what, based on reasonable evidence, can be expected to work. Otherwise, you'll kill things. And it's one thing to experiment with coral in new environments, it's another to put fish, which have brains and feel pain, in inadequate conditions because you want that particular pretty fish.

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will not. Otherwise, more people would do it. I ask the question again: why do people say the minimum tank size is much bigger than that, if it's not? Is there a conspiracy by the giant tank manufacturers?

You should not "do what you want" in this hobby. You should do what works, or what, based on reasonable evidence, can be expected to work. Otherwise, you'll kill things. And it's one thing to experiment with coral in new environments, it's another to put fish, which have brains and feel pain, in inadequate conditions because you want that particular pretty fish.
I was not saying “do what you want” for everything in this hobby, but just for this specific topic. Many, many, many people have put certain tangs in smaller tanks with no problem. Now, of course a tang cant go into a 10, or a 20 gallon tank. But some will live a perfectly, long lasting, happy life in a 90gallon aquarium. To many opinions on this topic to determine which is right or wrong.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When one adds a tang or large angel crammed into a small tank with little swimming room, their internal organs often grow faster than their body can. They often don’t get near the size, or live near as long as they would in the wild or in a properly sized tank. Tangs can live for a very long time when healthy, you’ll see That’s not the case in a small aquarium. Do what you will, just consider other people’s advice who may have been there.
Also your three large tangs in a 65 is absurd nano Ryan.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back