Tang health

Mad Zoas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrived from work to find my tang with bruise like markings on he’s body. Perhaps someone could identify? He’s eating just fine, parameters are stable. No aggression. Regular quarantine process. He was introduced to the main display a week in a half ago.

0CBD33C6-2547-44F5-ACE2-577C153D262F.jpeg F25D8114-8B3F-49C6-92C8-464D8D816341.jpeg 049AEA96-F229-43DF-A9C6-127F4AC171E0.jpeg D7F7E920-D9AB-4ED4-A512-A4F2FA890631.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is a fish that generally startles easily. Does yours do the same? Looks like stress marks and scrapes that are healing. COULD . . also be bacterial.
Lets start with water quality. What is your:
ammonia
nitrate
ph
temperature
salinity
AGE OF TANK ?
What test kits are you using

Upvote 0

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fish that generally startles easily. Does yours do the same? Looks like stress marks and scrapes that are healing. COULD . . also be bacterial.
Lets start with water quality. What is your:
ammonia
nitrate
ph
temperature
salinity
AGE OF TANK ?
What test kits are you using
I agree and you should answer those questions ASAP. I think it may be bacterial my first thought was black ich then I noticed how big the spots disease wise it really could not be anything else except for a bacterial infection. Also, what other fish are in the tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mad Zoas

Mad Zoas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does spooks easily. I test with Hanna and API. Temp is at 78, PH 7.3 No ammonia reading. Salinity is at 1.025 nitrate is reading 11. This system is 3 years old

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mad Zoas

Mad Zoas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and you should answer those questions ASAP. I think it may be bacterial my first thought was black ich then I noticed how big the spots disease wise it really could not be anything else except for a bacterial infection. Also, what other fish are in the tank?
There’s currently clowns, six line, blenny, goby, cardinal and reef chromes.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine does spooks easily. I test with Hanna and API. Temp is at 78, PH 7.3 No ammonia reading. Salinity is at 1.025 nitrate is reading 11. This system is 3 years old
Nitrate high
PH Low
API is giving you false readings more than likely. API is notorious for giving false readings and likely yours are not zero but higher. Take a water sample at your soonest to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API test kits and have them test for ammonia-nitrate-ph to see what readings they come up with and for comparison to yours.

You want:

temp 77-79
ph 8.0-8.3
salinity 1.025
Ammonia < .03
Nitrate < .05

I would recommend also a pouch of Chemipure elite which will keep your nitrate and phosphate in check

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a low pH like that, suspect high carbon dioxide. Your tank needs aeration (not just circulation) in order to drive off excess CO2. - People tend to avoid aeration because it produces salt spray. Solid tank covers are also an issue. Finally, check you pH when the lights first come on in the morning and then again at the end of the day and see if there is a difference. Finally, double check the way you are measuring your pH.

I don't think these are scratches, as they are on both sides of the fish. I would say stress marks, but I can't say if it is from water quality or diseases.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mad Zoas

Mad Zoas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a low pH like that, suspect high carbon dioxide. Your tank needs aeration (not just circulation) in order to drive off excess CO2. - People tend to avoid aeration because it produces salt spray. Solid tank covers are also an issue. Finally, check you pH when the lights first come on in the morning and then again at the end of the day and see if there is a difference. Finally, double check the way you are measuring your pH.

I don't think these are scratches, as they are on both sides of the fish. I would say stress marks, but I can't say if it is from water quality or diseases.

Jay
Thank you Jay and all that gave me great input. Last night i did a 25% water change and ran a air stone. I’ll water test tonight!

Upvote 0
Back