Tang in frag tank?

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i was wondering what you guys thought about stocking for my frag tank. Its 3ftx3ftx14in which is roughly like 70 gallons total. I plan to buy a small yellow tang to help with algae. It has a 150g home when it gets larger if need be.

Will it get along with the current tank mates? 3 springeri damsels. Tank is mostly eggcrate with a substrate base under it. I have some pvc under the egg crates to give them spots to hide.

If i want to add a wrasse do you suggest a small yellow wrasse or a 6 line? Ive heard 6 lines can be aggresive. I have enough sandbed for the yellow wrasse to bury itself.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should probably add that the system has a huge refugium on it and a total water volume over 115g. Can handle the bioload im worried about aggresion

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 feet isn’t really sufficient for a tang, IMO.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a kole tang over a yellow in that tank. Ctenochaetus tangs are a better fit for a 3’ length due to activity level and swimming habits, and their body shape also makes them more appropriate for the 14” height.

Can’t speak to your specific aggression question, sorry. I do avoid pseudochromis in general because I have found them to be extremely aggressive.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should have at least a 4 foot long tank for even the smallest tang. If you are dead set on a Tang, the only one I would attempt would be a Tomini. A Yellow Tang is a definite NO. I hand one that was about 4 inches long (about half size or less) that tried to take over my 90 gallon a month after he was introduced. They are well known for being buttheads in general and really need a 5-6 foot long tank to have a reasonable shot at success.

U

User1

View Badges
The idea of fish in a frag tang is for their work ethic. At least on paper anyway. So having said that two things you are trying to accomplish, again assuming this is only a frag tang, is to keep pests out of it or under control depending on how it is plumbed. So in this case you are asking about a tang for something set in stone (frag tank size). If it was me and my approach as I noted above I'd look at:

1. Tail Spot Blenny (1st choice) or Lawnmower Blenny (2nd choice)
2. Six line wrasse (1st choice) or Possum wrasse (2nd choice)
3. Larger snails such as Astraea (1st because they can right themselves) or Turbo (2nd choice)

That would be it in my frag tank if I was to set one up. All of the fish in theory work for pest and/or algae control and small enough for the tank size both in height and width. At least in theory anyway :D

Edit: No sand or substrate. So Wrasse sleeping requirements may dictate choice here.

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i may end up just going the route of a blenny instead which was my original plan. I had some bubble algae show up and ive been manually picking it out it however i cant seem to stay ahead of it. Bubble algae is a bit frustrating because nutrient control doesn't seem to be doing much for me. I read that most tangs can be taught to eat bubble algae and thats what triggered this whole post. My intention was always to move the tang to my 150 as soon as i saw the bubble algae taken care of.

Tank has a 2-2.5" sandbase under the racks. Currently it has a 6line in it that does not seem to care about pests. I may swap him into 1 of my other tanks since hes my only wrasse and turn to a yellow wrasse but i should probably add more substrate to give him a good spot to sleep it seems a bit too thin for 1 right now.

Thanks for the thoughts

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my tangs ever ate bubble algae. I kept a small scopas in my 48x24x12 frag tank for a while. Brown lump of useless - never ate any algae.

U

User1

View Badges
I've always had good luck with emerald crabs removing bubble algae. You probably could introduce one or two if it is that bad then remove. I've also never had a tang eat it but will say I've only owned a Kole, Yellow, Purple, over the previous years and currently a Lt. Tang.

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had good luck with emerald crabs removing bubble algae. You probably could introduce one or two if it is that bad then remove. I've also never had a tang eat it but will say I've only owned a Kole, Yellow, Purple, over the previous years and currently a Lt. Tang.

Thing is its not out of control, i just want to nip it in the butt. I think being low nutrient is doing me a ton of favors but it still grows unlike most other algae's

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back