Tang Laying on Scooter Blenny

crystalv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I introduced a hippo tang into my tank 3 days ago. Tankmates are a bangaii cardinalfish and a scooter blenny. I noticed today the hippo tang lays on top of the scooter blenny, the blenny moves and the hippo tang will lay onto the sand and then follows it around. Is this a sign of aggression? Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I introduced a hippo tang into my tank 3 days ago. Tankmates are a bangaii cardinalfish and a scooter blenny. I noticed today the hippo tang lays on top of the scooter blenny, the blenny moves and the hippo tang will lay onto the sand and then follows it around. Is this a sign of aggression? Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.
I’ve seen Blue hippo tangs lay down next to other fish when stressed. It should stop doing this soon. Sounds like it’s just getting used to its new space and tank mates. If it persists longer than a few more days and you notice the scooter starting to stress, you can try the mirror trick that people use to house multiple tangs. Sometimes tangs and bigger fish do pick on scooter blennies and gobys etc.

OP
OP
C

crystalv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen Blue hippo tangs lay down next to other fish when stressed. It should stop doing this soon. Sounds like it’s just getting used to its new space and tank mates. If it persists longer than a few more days and you notice the scooter starting to stress, you can try the mirror trick that people use to house multiple tangs. Sometimes tangs and bigger fish do pick on scooter blennies and gobys etc

I’ve seen Blue hippo tangs lay down next to other fish when stressed. It should stop doing this soon. Sounds like it’s just getting used to its new space and tank mates. If it persists longer than a few more days and you notice the scooter starting to stress, you can try the mirror trick that people use to house multiple tangs. Sometimes tangs and bigger fish do pick on scooter blennies and gobys etc.
I appreciate your reply. I searched the web but just vague information on this topic. I take it an expert or someone with experience would know more about this. I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

OP
OP
C

crystalv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try breeding them and give them a fancy name and take great pictures under ideal lighting and then photoshop it...then sell for millions.
That's funny you say that. I was searching the web for an answer. I saw a YouTube video of a hippo tang laying on another hippo tang. And my initial thought was maybe my hippo tang thinks my scooter blenny is another tang? How cute! Lol But then I worried as she kept doing the same thing for about 4 days. I was worried for my scooter blenny. Plot twist! Now my hippo tang is not well. She's lethargic and laying on the sand bed.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your reply. I searched the web but just vague information on this topic. I take it an expert or someone with experience would know more about this. I will keep that in mind. Thank you.
Of course happy to help any time!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back