Tang Police ASSEMBLE! :)

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hippo needs an 8' tank, minimum. If you cannot upgrade soon, then you need to rehome it.
Needs and reality are two very different things, if only 8' tanks were to have hippos then there will be a very tiny number of these fish sold in the hobby.

as far as the OP, if this is you love fish keep it, remove any other fish that could turn aggressive in a small setting, make sure there are spots in which the fish can hide as this is a natural trait of this fish

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hippo needs an 8' tank, minimum. If you cannot upgrade soon, then you need to rehome it.
Mines about 6” currently and does just fine in my tank. It’s 3x6ft my blonde naso is happy also.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines about 6” currently and does just fine in my tank. It’s 3x6ft my blonde naso is happy also.
Are they truly happy? Its kind of like having multiple people in a one bedroom apartment. Yes they can survive but are they content? Probably not, longing for that 4000 square foot house. But in reality all are fish Probably dream to be back in the ocean.

I know you take good care of your aquatic friends.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...for now. They may survive, but they won't thrive.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 180 gallons. I wish I wouldn’t have put my hippo tang in it. That’s the only fish I regret. She needs more swimming room. She’s incredibly active.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Needs and reality are two very different things, if only 8' tanks were to have hippos then there will be a very tiny number of these fish sold in the hobby.

as far as the OP, if this is you love fish keep it, remove any other fish that could turn aggressive in a small setting, make sure there are spots in which the fish can hide as this is a natural trait of this fish
Unfortunately, there are many species sold in this hobby that are kept irresponsibly. The point of forums like this is to share information and educate less experienced hobbyists. Providing advice like this is, IMO, contributing to the problem and I strongly advise the OP not to follow it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...for now. They may survive, but they won't thrive.
Give them plenty of places to hide and lots of open room to swim and they’re happy.. I have a large tang gang and no fighting or bickering. People with minimalist scapes have problems cause they don’t have a safe heaven to retreat when you’re in the tank etc. mine are all fat and happy! Not much else I can say lol..

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I learned in my travels is that once a tang gets too large, any tangs you have are going to have a contest to see which one can be the biggest neurotic psychopath until they are all dead. I wont even buy them anymore.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Give them plenty of places to hide and lots of open room to swim and they’re happy.. I have a large tang gang and no fighting or bickering. People with minimalist scapes have problems cause they don’t have a safe heaven to retreat when you’re in the tank etc. mine are all fat and happy! Not much else I can say lol..
I know that you take great care of your specimens, that is not up for dispute. However, fish that grow to 12 and 18 inches, respectively need considerably more room to swim. Especially ones as active as those.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there are many species sold in this hobby that are kept irresponsibly. The point of forums like this is to share information and educate less experienced hobbyists. Providing advice like this is, IMO, contributing to the problem and I strongly advise the OP not to follow it.
I def agree with this! And by no means am I saying it’s okay to have a hippo in a 60gal tank they grow super fast! I was shocked how fast my hippo grew to the largest fish in my tank just above my Fox face in less than a year.. would I have a hippo in a 18” by 72”? No but I’m comfortable with it in my 36x72…

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you take great care of your specimens, that is not up for dispute. However, fish that grow to 12 and 18 inches, respectively need considerably more room to swim. Especially ones as active as those.
I’ve never seen a hippo that large, a naso on the other hand yes… largest hippo I’ve seen in person was about 8” and yes they’re super active I know what you’re saying! Naso do get rather large but are rather on the chill side… I’ve been wanting to get achillies so bad but I’m not comfortable with it in my tank as it seems to be one of the most if not the most active tangs there is. They don’t seem to flourish unless it’s a super big tank and has more flow than most corals can handle lol… but dang they’re pretty!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine’s 6’ x 2’ but I don’t think my hippo will grow much larger. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if she gets to 8 inches. I’ve never seen a hippo over 10”, and mine was stunted which is why I don’t think she’ll grow much more. IMO 12”+ hippo tangs are like 5” green chromises and honest politicians. Extremely rare.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are certain tangs that will sprout out of control. For me, fastest growers have been Dussomieri, sailfin, Chevron, hepatus, Achilles, chocolate, naso, Vlamingi and unicorn

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is are ANY fish kept in an aquarium setting happy? or content? or well? that is the moral dilemma we all have to deal with, I am not sure how to gauge fish happiness, IF the fish is not being harassed, it's swimming and presenting normal behavior is the fish happy? no one can answer that, IMO the eye test is the best test we as hobbyist can offer, but when the solution is for an 8 foot tank then that is obviously not feasible for 99% of hobbyist either by space or budget or desire, if that is the rule then 99% of fish kept in the hobby are unhappy since they all I am sure would have been better off in their natural setting, with their natural diet, with their natural friends and foes.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - but that is logical fallacy at its finest. If everyone else is doing it, then you should be comfortable doing it to?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is are ANY fish kept in an aquarium setting happy? or content? or well?
You are reasoning with more (false equivalence) fallacy. If something is bad, then any further degree of bad is just the same bad so there is nothing to worry about. We don't need a finite line to know that some things are more unacceptable than others.

but when the solution is for an 8 foot tank then that is obviously not feasible for 99% of hobbyist either by space or budget or desire,
Then so be it. Just because the "rule" is unobserved or broken by the masses, doesn't mean that the "rule" should be changed or that breaking it is any less egregious.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The point is are ANY fish kept in an aquarium setting happy? or content? or well? that is the moral dilemma we all have to deal with, I am not sure how to gauge fish happiness, IF the fish is not being harassed, it's swimming and presenting normal behavior is the fish happy? no one can answer that, IMO the eye test is the best test we as hobbyist can offer, but when the solution is for an 8 foot tank then that is obviously not feasible for 99% of hobbyist either by space or budget or desire, if that is the rule then 99% of fish kept in the hobby are unhappy since they all I am sure would have been better off in their natural setting, with their natural diet, with their natural friends and foes.
Many, yes, as they are well fed, cared for, and live a life free of predation. The issue is people just having to have *this fish* or *that fish* without the ability to meet their needs. Then, they flood the forums with, "why do my Tangs keep getting ich and dying?", or "HELP! why is my fish 'glass surfing'?"

The answer here is not to say, "well, if I can't have this fish, I might as well not have any". It isn't a zero sum game, and your logic is flawed. If you couldn't afford a Buggatti, would you not purchase a Honda?

I maintain that your previous advice to the OP of keeping a Hippo in a 50 gallon tank is completely irresponsible. We can happily debate the morality of this hobby all you want, but don't attempt to hide behind the position of "it's all bad, so I might as well". That is the same logic employed by jerks that run dogfighting rings.

Don't be that guy.

Namaste.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back