Tang not eating

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Tomini Tang from DD on Wed, I haven't seen him eat much yet. I've fed garlic soaked nori, veggie based flake, veggie based pellet, regular pellet, and 2 kinds of frozen ( LRS and Limpits Reef Buffet. ) He picked at one or 2 bits of frozen. And seems to be trying to eat film algae off the glass poor guy.

I'm going to the LFS to see if they have any calerpa today. Otherwise, any suggestions from tang experts?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try rubber-banding some of that nori to a bit of rock, especially as that seems to be the way he's trying to eat. Bristletooth tangs are often more detritivores than algae grazers, so you can also try a "nori burrito". Roll a bit of frozen food inside the nori before strapping it to that bit of liverock, and the smell should hopefully prove enticing, while also offering complete nutrition.

~Bruce

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put nori on a rock with a rubber band. For my tangs to eat with limited success. I have a new blond naso tang that I have had for a week that's not getting with the program. So if you don't mind I'm going to tag along to see what advice others may have.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live brine can be irresistible, so too Live blackworms.

My bristletooth tangs take some time to adjust to eating frozen foods but will suddenly find nori and go after it.

Soaking food in selcon and garlic guard isn’t a bad idea, it’ll make it smell.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bristletooth tang has never eaten nori. I have tried several different kind/colors and nada. He will follow me around when I scrape algae with the magnet cleaner and eat that and any frozen or pellets. He also follows my rock beauty around and eats its poop...;Vomit

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I've tried the nori rubberbanded to rock in a couple of different ways, no dice. I am happy to report that live blackworms worked tonight. I also picked up some calerpa and some red nori. No interest in those yet but I'll keep trying. I'd like to see him get his "greens" :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all for the suggestions! I've tried the nori rubberbanded to rock in a couple of different ways, no dice. I am happy to report that live blackworms worked tonight. I also picked up some calerpa and some red nori. No interest in those yet but I'll keep trying. I'd like to see him get his "greens" :)
As long as it’s eating it’ll be fine. If other tangs are in the tank, it’ll watch them graze on nori and pick it up. My kole and Chevron (bristletooth tangs) love nori after watching them all throw it down!

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently got a kole tang and had some trouble getting him to eat veggies too. He’d eat meaty food with the others but not nori. I got san fransisco bay ‘emerald entree’ today which has a good amount of veggies and also mysis and brine shrimp. All my fish loved it! My tang also loves live black worms. I find if I feed some worms it gets him excited and he’s more likely to eat when I feed frozen with the worms or directly after. Also, if you have live rock or have some algae that grows on your glass he is most likely getting what he needs. Bristletooth tangs are more detrivores than herbivores. There’s probably nutrients on the glass and rocks that aren’t necessarily visible to you. Him picking at the glass is a good sign! Good luck, tominis are beautiful fish!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't introduce caulerpa into my tank.

At the risk of repeating myself, and the earlier post, do keep in mind that bristle tangs are more detritivores than pure herbivores. This is persistently misunderstood by novice hobbyists because of the lumped reputation of tangs as herbivores (hippo isn't one either). They need live rock to graze for film and slime algae, but will not eat hair algae (just look at the mouth structure - makes the likely diet quite apparent) or nori. Of all the bristles I've ever had, only my current chevron will eat nori, and it took almost three years for him to do it. Spends his day scraping the rocks and will eat from the water column. He also follows the other tangs around at feeding time hoping for a 'treat'.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't introduce caulerpa into my tank.

At the risk of repeating myself, and the earlier post, do keep in mind that bristle tangs are more detritivores than pure herbivores. This is persistently misunderstood by novice hobbyists because of the lumped reputation of tangs as herbivores (hippo isn't one either). They need live rock to graze for film and slime algae, but will not eat hair algae (just look at the mouth structure - makes the likely diet quite apparent) or nori. Of all the bristles I've ever had, only my current chevron will eat nori, and it took almost three years for him to do it. Spends his day scraping the rocks and will eat from the water column. He also follows the other tangs around at feeding time hoping for a 'treat'.

This has been my experience also.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back