Tang police - what are my chances?

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My partner has fallen in love with a PBT and wants to add it to our tank which already has a juvenile mimic tang. The PBT looks like a healthy adult - not massive - but not a juvenile.

What are my chances it will work out?

It is a 500 litres peninsula tank with an average stocking (I would say) of rock. Decent amount of algae at the moment too.

I also have a lawnmower blennie and a flame hawkfish.

my partner is also eying off at majestic angelfish which is worrying me about the same.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My partner has fallen in love with a PBT and wants to add it to our tank which already has a juvenile mimic tang. The PBT looks like a healthy adult - not massive - but not a juvenile.

It is a 500 litres peninsula tank with an average stocking (I would say) of rock. Decent amount of algae at the moment too.

my partner is also eying off at majestic angelfish which is worrying me about the same.
Size-wise, you can probably get away with it. Now as for aggression, it could go either way. PBTs are aggressive jerks, and mimics are a lot more docile. You could see a lot of bullying of the mimic and squabbling for territory. However, all fish have their own personalities, so it is hard to tell. I have two acantharus species in a 180 (along with a zebrasoma and ctenochaetus) and everyone gets along fine. IMMV

Attachments

• communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31.jpg
    communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 30

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U should be fine with mimic and pbt. Pbt can bully mimic. For tank size, others will guide u but both can live together in a min. 125 gallon tank. U should keep them full so that there may not be aggression.
All the best !

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main concern I would have would be getting a healthy PBT. Unfortunately getting healthy fish lately is a chore. A visual inspection is a good start, but I would be getting a QT station ready for the PBT. Once through QT, you should not have too big of an issue I wouldn't think since the small mimic tang is already established. How big is your mimic tang. I just purchased one that was a size of a nickel when I got him months ago. He is getting big pretty quick.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

It will work but eventually the PBT will become a jerk. They generally do and they are one of the fastest when it comes to growth regardless of tank size
Majestic one of my best angels but will not leave coral alone

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the main concern I would have would be getting a healthy PBT. Unfortunately getting healthy fish lately is a chore. A visual inspection is a good start, but I would be getting a QT station ready for the PBT. Once through QT, you should not have too big of an issue I wouldn't think since the small mimic tang is already established. How big is your mimic tang. I just purchased one that was a size of a nickel when I got him months ago. He is getting big pretty quick.
Our mimic was a similar size originally. Now about an inch and half to two.

Being in AUS we seem to have access to fairly healthy fish - not so far to travel and sometimes chatting with my LFS they aren’t more than a few days from being caught.

My LFS is kindly offering to handle some of the QT for me if we go ahead. But agreed will being doing some QT.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work but eventually the PBT will become a jerk. They generally do and they are one of the fastest when it comes to growth regardless of tank size
Majestic one of my best angels but will not leave coral alone
Thanks for the info.

Thanks all, more reading, research and thinking and I’ll pass on the PBT

Cheers all!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say just buy a fish trap and have it ready and realize you may need to remove rock to catch it if all hell breaks loose.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say just buy a fish trap and have it ready and realize you may need to remove rock to catch it if all hell breaks loose.
Yeah good thought. My partner will just have to realize she can’t have ALL the fish.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that the PBT may get along with the mimic because the mimic was already established. The issue with PBT's in my experience is that it can be very difficult to add any fish after them - and not just tangs. They get aggressive with all types of newcomers.

OP
OP
findingsimple

findingsimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that the PBT may get along with the mimic because the mimic was already established. The issue with PBT's in my experience is that it can be very difficult to add any fish after them - and not just tangs. They get aggressive with all types of newcomers.
Yeah it’s a good point - I realized that - thank you!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back