Tang swimming sideways after tank transfer

Bmccartney

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Location
Columbus,OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed in a 2nd tank and am moving some livestock to the new tank. They share a sump and water so are the same system. I have a surgeon tank is fat and healthy that was the largest in the tank and rather aggressive so I moved it first. It is currently the only fish in the tank but is swimming on its side or nose toward the ground. If given food it still eats ferociously but quickly goes back to is strange behavior. Could something have happened to its swim bladder during the transfer? Or something else?
 
i really dont know why it would do that. was the transfer rough?
 
Catching it was a bit of a chore. He’s stressed for sure. I was hoping he’d settle in overnight but that didn’t seem to be the case. This morning was more of the same.
 
My wife pinned it against the glass to get it out. I’m not sure if it struck the glass on its own during catching. Any fix for swim bladder if that’s what it is? Does it resolve on its own? This is probably an 8-9” tang. Hate to lose it!
 
I plumbed in a 2nd tank and am moving some livestock to the new tank. They share a sump and water so are the same system. I have a surgeon tank is fat and healthy that was the largest in the tank and rather aggressive so I moved it first. It is currently the only fish in the tank but is swimming on its side or nose toward the ground. If given food it still eats ferociously but quickly goes back to is strange behavior. Could something have happened to its swim bladder during the transfer? Or something else?
From swimming normal to head down generally suggests its either stress from netting or when it was netted and transferred to other tank, it ingested air in which it will slowly release on its own.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new