Tang swimming sideways after tank transfer

Bmccartney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed in a 2nd tank and am moving some livestock to the new tank. They share a sump and water so are the same system. I have a surgeon tank is fat and healthy that was the largest in the tank and rather aggressive so I moved it first. It is currently the only fish in the tank but is swimming on its side or nose toward the ground. If given food it still eats ferociously but quickly goes back to is strange behavior. Could something have happened to its swim bladder during the transfer? Or something else?

OP
OP
Bmccartney

Bmccartney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching it was a bit of a chore. He’s stressed for sure. I was hoping he’d settle in overnight but that didn’t seem to be the case. This morning was more of the same.

OP
OP
Bmccartney

Bmccartney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife pinned it against the glass to get it out. I’m not sure if it struck the glass on its own during catching. Any fix for swim bladder if that’s what it is? Does it resolve on its own? This is probably an 8-9” tang. Hate to lose it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I plumbed in a 2nd tank and am moving some livestock to the new tank. They share a sump and water so are the same system. I have a surgeon tank is fat and healthy that was the largest in the tank and rather aggressive so I moved it first. It is currently the only fish in the tank but is swimming on its side or nose toward the ground. If given food it still eats ferociously but quickly goes back to is strange behavior. Could something have happened to its swim bladder during the transfer? Or something else?
From swimming normal to head down generally suggests its either stress from netting or when it was netted and transferred to other tank, it ingested air in which it will slowly release on its own.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back