Tang with dots?

lodestone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a small kole tang had him for 3 weeks overnight it seems these little dark brown dots appeared. 20230615_175950.jpg 20230615_175902.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Got a small kole tang had him for 3 weeks overnight it seems these little dark brown dots appeared. 20230615_175950.jpg 20230615_175902.jpg
Nice little lieutenant tang. It appears to have black ich, not the ich parasite many fear.
These are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots showing the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment. Often , a 5 min freshwater dip will offer temporary relief.
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit

OP
OP
lodestone

lodestone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little lieutenant tang. It appears to have black ich, not the ich parasite many fear.
These are turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots showing the appearance of ich as melanin pigmentation causes the appearance of black dots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment. Often , a 5 min freshwater dip will offer temporary relief.
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit
Thank you very much will give updates. The cleaning shrimp is ingoring the poor guy. If able to catch him will give him a dip to help till medication arrives.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%

Back