Tang with extra scalpel?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Scopas tang in QT. He's been in there for a few weeks now at least. I've noticed what looks to be like two extra little scalpel bits above the main tang scalpel on one side. At least that's all I can figure it is. Whatever it is, its been there since I've had him as far as I can recall. Been watching it in case its something concerning. He's been in copper for a week with no sign of it changing so I kinda figure its not ich/velvet.

Has anyone ever heard of or seen something like this?

Here's a bad photo of it.

Scopas.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like potential ich or flukes than additional scalpels. I came in here ready to say that naso genus tangs have two on each side, but this is a zebrasoma! :D

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks more like potential ich or flukes than additional scalpels. I came in here ready to say that naso genus tangs have two on each side, but this is a zebrasoma! :D

I guess I should've mentioned he went through the standard Prazi twice with 6 days between treatments. I suppose it could be a prazi resistant fluke but a visible, white, prazi-resistant fluke? I'm a lucky guy! lol.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should've mentioned he went through the standard Prazi twice with 6 days between treatments. I suppose it could be a prazi resistant fluke but a visible, white, prazi-resistant fluke? I'm a lucky guy! lol.
How long have the spots been there? If you didn’t treat with copper or CP ich is likely. If the spots stay more than 5-7 days it’s not ich.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long have the spots been there? If you didn’t treat with copper or CP ich is likely. If the spots stay more than 5-7 days it’s not ich.

...o_O

He's been in there for a few weeks now at least.

Whatever it is, its been there since I've had him as far as I can recall.

He's been in copper for a week with no sign of it changing so I kinda figure its not ich/velvet.

:D

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that it’s lympho, then. I wouldn’t worry if it’s not worsening or turning reddish indicating an infection :)

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be that it’s lymph. I wouldn’t worry if it’s not worsening or turning reddish indicating an infection :)

I shall google that.

And I had the same thought process. My main concern is not transferring Ich/Velvet/Flukes to DT. I figured if after 30+ days in QT (I think its more like 45) if its still there I'm not gonna worry about it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shall google that.

And I had the same thought process. My main concern is not transferring Ich/Velvet/Flukes to DT. I figured if after 30+ days in QT (I think its more like 45) if its still there I'm not gonna worry about it.
Good plan of attack.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well... The dots seem to have gone away. If I think back I can recall them being there for at least two weeks... No idea. I wouldn't think Ich markings would be present that long in the same place...

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... The dots seem to have gone away. If I think back I can recall them being there for at least two weeks... No idea. I wouldn't think Ich markings would be present that long in the same place...
Ich would not be present for two weeks, you are correct. I have random spot or two show up every few months. Shrug!

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ich would not be present for two weeks, you are correct. I have random spot or two show up every few months. Shrug!

Yea, lol. The more I get into this the more I'm finding its kinda an inexact science of sorts. I guess you just look for what you know you should and do what you think you should and do your best. Idk.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically! Spots can be caused by a myriad of thing because ultimately it’s just the fish’s reaction to some sort of skin irritation or abrasion - mucous.
Yea, lol. The more I get into this the more I'm finding its kinda an inexact science of sorts. I guess you just look for what you know you should and do what you think you should and do your best. Idk.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back