Tang with ich?

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a powder brown tang 6 days ago. On day 2 I noticed a white spot that looked like he bumped his forehead and tiny bit of skin was flaking off. The the next day it had a dark spot but looked like it was healed by day 4. Day 6, today, I noticed a white spot on the side of its head. One spot at a time doesnt seem like ich but can someone with more experience help me ID? We use a 40 gallon tank as a QT but today moved the only 2 fish in that tank to a 10 gallon with a half dose of marineland ich remedy. I have never had to use it, but if this is ich, is it a single dose then check for signs after 5-6 days? or is it daily dose for 5 days after a 25% water change, then dose 5ml per 10 gallons? The bottle seems to say the first, but the website and reviews seem to point to a daily dose.

gybTxFk.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a powder brown tang 6 days ago. On day 2 I noticed a white spot that looked like he bumped his forehead and tiny bit of skin was flaking off. The the next day it had a dark spot but looked like it was healed by day 4. Day 6, today, I noticed a white spot on the side of its head. One spot at a time doesnt seem like ich but can someone with more experience help me ID? We use a 40 gallon tank as a QT but today moved the only 2 fish in that tank to a 10 gallon with a half dose of marineland ich remedy. I have never had to use it, but if this is ich, is it a single dose then check for signs after 5-6 days? or is it daily dose for 5 days after a 25% water change, then dose 5ml per 10 gallons? The bottle seems to say the first, but the website and reviews seem to point to a daily dose.

gybTxFk.jpg
The spot seems a bit large to be ich, but this species is really prone to getting ich.
Coppersafe or hyposalinity are the best treatments for it. I’ve not used the marineland product, does it list its ingredients?
Jay

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victoria green, nitromersol is main ingredient. Weird thing is now we have a 3rd white spot, the second white spot is gone and now there is a larger dark spot where it was. Cant find anything like this in any research...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victoria green, nitromersol is main ingredient. Weird thing is now we have a 3rd white spot, the second white spot is gone and now there is a larger dark spot where it was. Cant find anything like this in any research...

That is a malachite green analog. That works pretty well against FW ich, but has a poor track record for marine ich, which is a different species.

Spots that come and go over a day or two can be marine ich. Watch for increasing numbers of spots over time.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a malachite green analog. That works pretty well against FW ich, but has a poor track record for marine ich, which is a different species.

Spots that come and go over a day or two can be marine ich. Watch for increasing numbers of spots over time.

Jay
Thank you Jay, what product do you recommend for the tang?

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 white spots seem to be gone, where one of the white spots were located on the belly is now the same brown patch that showed where the other white spots had been when they disappeared. Would love to know what is going on with him. 4 or 5 spots have come and gone over 7 days, 48 hours with white spot, then a day with a dark patch.
IoOXH0H.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved the tang over to clean salt water from my display, 2 days ago 50%, then yesterday replaced all the water to rid the QT tank of copper. Today I see a line of white dots following the line in his skin behind his eye. I can not tell if it is bones or "viral nodules" similar to the pic below. I have prazipro and focus/metroplex/kanaplex being delivered today but I dont want to throw another solution at it until I have a better understanding of what is going on.
vR1Aemt.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved the tang over to clean salt water from my display, 2 days ago 50%, then yesterday replaced all the water to rid the QT tank of copper. Today I see a line of white dots following the line in his skin behind his eye. I can not tell if it is bones or "viral nodules" similar to the pic below. I have prazipro and focus/metroplex/kanaplex being delivered today but I dont want to throw another solution at it until I have a better understanding of what is going on.
vR1Aemt.jpg
Can you post a current picture of your actual fish?
Jay

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, thank you for your time with this. I feel horrible for this fish. It is hard to see the spots without using a flashlight, these are the best I can do. His face does not look so bad when not in the beam, but he is eating well. I have been feeding him nori since I bought him a little over a week ago and started the Emerald Entree with Mysis shrimp 2 days ago.

uNFThOa.jpg

J18ccYL.jpg

g17NEbW.jpg

kKK6lSJ.jpg

X2PP88A.jpg

1fJS84G.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a few days since your first post. Can you give another full situation report?

What have you tried? Copper/hypo?

Is the fish rubbing on anything?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
vR1Aemt.jpg
You had a powder brown pictured but this is a hybrid achilles tang and now has HLLE ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday around noon I treated the QT with kanaplex and metroplex to try to help him heal. I have coppersafe being delivered tomorrow. As of this evening there is no improvement. The white spots have turned into large pimple looking bumps or red patches.

Lost, He is in an all glass tank with a tiny damsel and I do not see him rubbing on anything. Initially ick remedy was used but water has been changed out since that mistake.

vetteguy, The achilles tang was used to show what the side of my tang looked like a few days ago. I dont believe his tail was ever orange.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday around noon I treated the QT with kanaplex and metroplex to try to help him heal. I have coppersafe being delivered tomorrow. As of this evening there is no improvement. The white spots have turned into large pimple looking bumps or red patches.

Lost, He is in an all glass tank with a tiny damsel and I do not see him rubbing on anything. Initially ick remedy was used but water has been changed out since that mistake.

vetteguy, The achilles tang was used to show what the side of my tang looked like a few days ago. I dont believe his tail was ever orange.

I think what you are seeing here is a few different issues, and their symptoms are overlapping a bit. The fish has some minor head and lateral line erosion, but the lesions look like they are getting infected (rare, but it does sometimes happen). I'm not sure what to make of the line of brownish dots below its dorsal fin. this species does develop "black ich" but those spots would be random, not in a line like that.

The Kanaplex should help stop a bacterial infection - but it can take up to five days to work. Coppersafe is a good idea just on general principle. Metroplex isn't high on my list and is mostly redundant with the copper.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you are seeing here is a few different issues, and their symptoms are overlapping a bit. The fish has some minor head and lateral line erosion, but the lesions look like they are getting infected (rare, but it does sometimes happen). I'm not sure what to make of the line of brownish dots below its dorsal fin. this species does develop "black ich" but those spots would be random, not in a line like that.

The Kanaplex should help stop a bacterial infection - but it can take up to five days to work. Coppersafe is a good idea just on general principle. Metroplex isn't high on my list and is mostly redundant with the copper.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I will let you know how he is doing Saturday, coppersafe will be here mid day tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This is highly likely not anything pathogenic but Hlle and the little bumps could be nitrate toxicity or cysts.
What test kits are you using ?
What is your ammonia-ph-nitrate-salinity levels?
What diet are you offering the fish?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back