Tangs … To Treat or Not to Treat with Copper?

Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some background … I have a Blonde Naso and a Kole Yellow Eye Tang in my 20 gal quarantine since 6/28/19 … Also in the quarantine is Springeri Damsel that came out of my DT about 5 weeks ago because he was getting beat up by one of his buddies … but he looks fine now. The problem… the Kole tang has been rubbing on the PVC fitting I have in the tank. This has been going on for the last couple of weeks. Both are very timid and hide behind the sponge filter as soon as I get close but are otherwise very active. Both are voracious feeders and consume the Sea Veggies and spirulina I put in the tank twice a day. I can see nothing on either fish or the damsel. Otherwise all are active and seem happy. So the question is should I treat them with copper or something else? I was hoping to get them into the DT on 7/27/19 because I don’t see anything on them.

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, copper at therapeutic levels (at or below .5) is safe for almost all fish, Tangs included. I have successfully QT'ed a Powder Blue, a Purple, and a Convict Tang using Seachem Cupramine. I usually let them sit in the QT for about a month in the copper (I think you would be fine treating for 10 days on this, seeing how you dont see ich on the fish). Then do a 25% water change and run activated carbon for 48 hours before moving them to my DT

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks for the info .... I guess treating at the .5 level is the safe approach.
Note that is for cupramime which is an ionic copper. If it is a chelated copper product, I believe 2.0 is the new standard since there have been reports of velvet making it past 1.75 levels.

@HotRocks or @4FordFamily can elaborate more on that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and dug it up, as it is a sticky lol. Forgot about that.

And another helpful one to get to all items related to QT.

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, thank you for the two links - I have seen these and had them bookmarked. I'm reading them again - it never hurts. I'll be getting some Prazipro and I am trying to decide if I should use Copper Power or Cupramine. I think I read someplace one was less harsh I am also going to be getting a Hanna Copper checker.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, thank you for the two links - I have seen these and had them bookmarked. I'm reading them again - it never hurts. I'll be getting some Prazipro and I am trying to decide if I should use Copper Power or Cupramine. I think I read someplace one was less harsh I am also going to be getting a Hanna Copper checker.
Not a problem. I have run both, and with a Hanna used correctly they have both done well. Cupramime before Hanna was iffy, as .5 is a lot harder to manage then 2.0 lol. Not much wiggle room.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper Power is less risky overall, partly because it has a wider margin-of-error for the therapeutic range as compared to ionic copper.

Take a look at the charts in the post below. At least in this person's experience, ionic copper is never preferred over chelated.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power is less risky overall, partly because it has a wider margin-of-error for the therapeutic range as compared to ionic copper.

Take a look at the charts in the post below. At least in this person's experience, ionic copper is never preferred over chelated.

I concur, copper power with Hanna checker would be my recommendation at 2.0 PPM :)

jcricket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a 20 gallon QT tank. It has a powder blue and hippo in it. I have it at .4 cuppramine. They have been in QT at this level for about 2 weeks. They look really good and are eating very well.

Also, if you are seeing them scratch, I would think it would be better to wait to move them to the DT until you are certain they are 100%

OP
OP
Alchemy

Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Going with Copper Power. Again thanks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back