Tangs For A 140 Gallon 60x18x30

• Total voters

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm currently working on setting up a 140 gallon 60x18x30, and I want to choose a Tang for it, or I can, get 2 tangs. I have heard different tank sizes for Blue Hippo Tangs so feel free to also comment about what tank size you need for them. Also, if you another option feel free to comment it and I will add it to the poll, as right now I am only really familiar with the Yellow, Tomini, Blue Hippo, and Sailfin Tang. (Which I Knows Get Way To Big) Also, please tell me what I should feed the Tangs and I will definitely be keeping a Snowflake Eel, so tell me if their compatible with them or not. Thank You.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mimic tang. They are one of the best species for medium tanks, as well as being more affordable than other kinds. Tangs should have access to nori or fresh macroalgae on a clip as well as the regular food for the tank. You should be fine with the eel as long as it is well fed and the tangs aren't tiny.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1659532137396.png

Adult (not my photo)

1659532157417.png

Juvenile (not my photo)

They usually get about 7-8 inches long as adults, but can potentially reach up to 10. The juveniles are yellow, but will eventually shift in color.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60x30x18... wide, where yours is tall.

I'd suggest smaller species. Of the ones you've listed, Tomini stay pretty small, but they can be quite aggressive. A full grown sailfin or hippo wouldn't have room to turn around in an 18" tank.

I'd be looking in the bristletooth family (Ctenochaetus sp). Kole, Twospot, Chevron, etc. They don't have the bright coloration of some of the bigger tangs, but they're excellent algae eaters, and generally work out well in a mixed marine tank.

Outside of the bristletooth tangs, there are several that stay under 10". I'd say that's about the max on that tank. Purple tang, Mimic tang, Lemon tang.

Oh the snowflake eel, as long as it's not a size mismatch... a big eel might just consume a small juvenile tang... Should be fine tank mates.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mimic tangs are nice, there are different mimic tangs depending on region, I have one I got as a juvenile and is starting his transition. I’ve had him for about a year now. Very active fish. He is in with a Scopus tang and they get along.
94032CC5-9808-4EA6-984F-CBC06117035E.jpeg
B0015CF4-29E4-4D8B-9092-DFA2D6735B88.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 60x30x18... wide, where yours is tall.

I'd suggest smaller species. Of the ones you've listed, Tomini stay pretty small, but they can be quite aggressive. A full grown sailfin or hippo wouldn't have room to turn around in an 18" tank.

I'd be looking in the bristletooth family (Ctenochaetus sp). Kole, Twospot, Chevron, etc. They don't have the bright coloration of some of the bigger tangs, but they're excellent algae eaters, and generally work out well in a mixed marine tank.

Outside of the bristletooth tangs, there are several that stay under 10". I'd say that's about the max on that tank. Purple tang, Mimic tang, Lemon tang.

Oh the snowflake eel, as long as it's not a size mismatch... a big eel might just consume a small juvenile tang... Should be fine tank mates.
Thanks, I wish I could have gone 30 wide, but the only available table is 19 inches wide, but at least I can go 30 high. Do tangs use the height of a tank or not. I was thinking about a yellow or tomini (I Like The Purple Color) but a mimic also looks nice. Will a mimic or yellow have enough room in my tank or not? Also should I keep 1 or 2 tangs?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they won't use the height as well as they would for the depth, it is also a good thing to have. You can keep two (or even three) tangs, but I suggest high flow and two nori clips to help prevent conflict. All of the tangs mentioned above except the blue hippo will have enough room. While you could keep the hippo, you would eventually have to re-home it, and catching tangs isn't easy!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow or purple would be great. I have both my 180 gallon. I also have a hippo that I feel is too big for my tank.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they won't use the height as well as they would for the depth, it is also a good thing to have. You can keep two (or even three) tangs, but I suggest high flow and two nori clips to help prevent conflict. All of the tangs mentioned above except the blue hippo will have enough room. While you could keep the hippo, you would eventually have to re-home it, and catching tangs isn't easy!
Yeah, I recently had to catch a 9 inch Common Pleco out of my 75 Gallon to move to my 135 Gallon, and that was tough, and I imagine a Tang would be even harder to catch. Yeah, I'll stick to fish that will fit my tank, as I will be upgrading my tank in about 1 year to a 7' or 8' tank, I might make that tank freshwater as I have a Common Pleco and it depends how big she gets. Otherwise so a Yellow and Mimic Tang would work together? Their not aggressive like Tominis are they? Would they go well with a pair of clownfish and a pair of flame angelfish?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow and the mimic should be fine together as long as they are added at the same time, have plenty of food, and the flow is high. I would also add them last so they don't bully fish that come after them.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow and the mimic should be fine together as long as they are added at the same time, have plenty of food, and the flow is high. I would also add them last so they don't bully fish that come after them.
Will they be good with the flame angelfish, Eel, and clownfish as well? Should I do a pair of angles or just 1? Would any other fish go well with them, or is that fully stocked?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my two in my 130, I cycled my tank with these two and have been with me now 20 months.
I would love to have a PB tang but I think I'll skip it, I kind of love the harmony in the tank after the Dust Settled and things are quiet lol

P.S. they have no problem with my flame angel that came a few months after them however the PT will nip him if he gets close, every so many month I find the Flame angel missing part of a fin lol
20210115_152253.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they be good with the flame angelfish, Eel, and clownfish as well? Should I do a pair of angles or just 1? Would any other fish go well with them, or is that fully stocked?
I think that they should be fine with your other fish. You could do a pair of angelfish, but it might be more of a headache trying to pair them than it is worth due to aggression. As for other fish, you could probably add a few more, depending on your filtration and aquascape.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my two in my 130, I cycled my tank with these two and have been with me now 20 months.
I would love to have a PB tang but I think I'll skip it, I kind of love the harmony in the tank after the Dust Settled and things are quiet lol

P.S. they have no problem with my flame angel that came a few months after them however the PT will nip him if he gets close, every so many month I find the Flame angel missing part of a fin lol
20210115_152253.jpg
I'm sorry, I'm new to saltwater but what is a PT and a PB?

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blues max out around 9", I could probably house him fine but I have peace with my tangs now, don't really want to disturb the balance
Ok, so bigger than a mimic but smaller than a blue hippo? So if I kept a Mimic and Yellow the aggression would be low?

Back