Tangs for WB 7225

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy holidays Reefers, I wanted to just get a sanity check on my tang stocking plan for my upcoming tank upgrade I currently have a marine land 90 gallon with a single Yellow Tang along with some other tank mates standard clowns, six line 4 choms. Im going to be upgrading to a waterbox 7225 which I’m very excited about mostly because it will allow me to house more tangs as they are probably my favorite type of fish, but I don’t want to get over excited and add too many. My plan is for my LFS to order and hold them until I can add them all at once hopefully to reduce aggression.

First question, please sanity check my list
1-Yellow
1-Purple
1-Dejardinian sailfin
1-White tail bristletooth
1-convict
?1-Achilles, Or blonde naso maybe a white cheek?
For a total of 6? That seems like too many tangs as I type this out. But the tank is 72in long and 25in deep so there is a fair bit of swimming room. What should make the cut if I need to trim down the list?

Second question is for the yellow tang in my current display, I’ve had him in it for about 9 months. I’m assuming since I’ll be transferring him to the new setup that I’ll be good to keep him, or would I be better off trading him in and getting a new slightly smaller yellow Tang?

Any thoughts are welcome and if I need the tang police called on my feel free to do so. Currently my LFS is only holding a purple so I can still wave off pretty easily if needed.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB 7225 is basically a 6x2x2 180 gallon.

Out of that list, I would get:
Yellow
Purple
White tail
Convict
White face/powder brown (A. japonicus) instead of white cheek

Skip the sailfin and Naso for size reasons, and keep the current yellow tang. 5 is a lot of tangs, but not totally unreasonable. It will take a lot of food and exporting of N&P.

OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB 7225 is basically a 6x2x2 180 gallon.

Out of that list, I would get:
Yellow
Purple
White tail
Convict
White face/powder brown (A. japonicus) instead of white cheek

Skip the sailfin and Naso for size reasons, and keep the current yellow tang. 5 is a lot of tangs, but not totally unreasonable. It will take a lot of food and exporting of N&P.
Thanks!
I was thinking along similar lines I may go down to 4 and add a pyramid butterfly instead

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Place purple and bristletooth last which are a little more aggressive
A regular sailfin should be ok- desjatdini get a bit larger

OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a lot of food and exporting of N&P.
I plan on having a pretty dialed in filtration system. Mostly based on the BRS 360, Roller Matt, skimmer, refugium. I’ll have UV that I can tune to algae if needed but I plan on having it setup to protect the tangs as much as possible. I’m on the fence as far as ozone goes, instead of using carbon.

My yellow tang has had HLLE on and off and I’ve gone through all the probable causes. No stray voltage, I only feed high quality food, autofeeder 3 times a day mix of seaweed extreme and TDO chroma boost I always have nori on a clip replaced every day regardless of if it gets eaten or not. And I also feed a vitamin enriched frozen homemade blend once a day or ever other day. Which leaves me with carbon... but I only use BRS rox so it shouldn’t be the issue. But I have turned it off for about two months now and the yellow tang seems to be improving. But I also ran that same carbon for 5 months with out issue so I’m not entirely sure what caused it in the first place.

anyways thanks for the response

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy holidays Reefers, I wanted to just get a sanity check on my tang stocking plan for my upcoming tank upgrade I currently have a marine land 90 gallon with a single Yellow Tang along with some other tank mates standard clowns, six line 4 choms. Im going to be upgrading to a waterbox 7225 which I’m very excited about mostly because it will allow me to house more tangs as they are probably my favorite type of fish, but I don’t want to get over excited and add too many. My plan is for my LFS to order and hold them until I can add them all at once hopefully to reduce aggression.

First question, please sanity check my list
1-Yellow
1-Purple
1-Dejardinian sailfin
1-White tail bristletooth
1-convict
?1-Achilles, Or blonde naso maybe a white cheek?
For a total of 6? That seems like too many tangs as I type this out. But the tank is 72in long and 25in deep so there is a fair bit of swimming room. What should make the cut if I need to trim down the list?

Second question is for the yellow tang in my current display, I’ve had him in it for about 9 months. I’m assuming since I’ll be transferring him to the new setup that I’ll be good to keep him, or would I be better off trading him in and getting a new slightly smaller yellow Tang?

Any thoughts are welcome and if I need the tang police called on my feel free to do so. Currently my LFS is only holding a purple so I can still wave off pretty easily if needed.
You've got a good list, but I would forego the Desjardin's and Naso as they will almost certainly grow too large for your tank. Achilles is a beautiful fish, but it comes with two caveats- it is extremely prone to parasite infestation, and it requires heavy water flow. Is your dealer willing to quarantine and medicate if necessary? Are you considering quarantining your fish after you buy them? You'll want a couple of wave pumps, gyres, or something similar to generate enough current to keep the achilles happy. The achilles tends to be very pricey, and Acanthurus nigricans (Did you mean A. nigricans or A. japonicus when you mentioned a white cheek?) would be a great choice- it is nearly as pretty and considerably less expensive. Regarding the yellow tang, I would just add him with the others, since he'll be a new fish to the tank, as well.
Interesting, your idea about a pyramid butterfly, as I've been facing a similar problem and hit on the very same idea! I had a list of tangs for my 180, and decided to pare it down a bit and eventually get two or three pyramids instead.

OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve dropped the dream of the blonde naso, and the sailfin. I’m also going forgo the Achilles in favor of the white cheek gold rim (Acanthurus nigricans). Yes I’ll loose a bit of color but they are both beautiful and the Acanthurus nigricans is supposedly on the less aggressive side, but my luck I’ll get the rager. My LFS will hold and treat for several weeks without charging. I have been trading him SPS frags for holding. And I will have UV to help keep any ich or other pests at bay. Since I know it’s only a matter of time and I don’t have enough discipline to properly QT ever fish, coral, and invert that enters my tank.

Final stocking plan

—-big fish
Yellow tang
Purple tang
Acanthurus nigricans
White tail bristletooth

Yellow pyramid butterflyfish x2

—-small fish
Lyretail anthia x6
Blue green chrom x4
Zebra barred x3
Frostbite clownsx2
Six line wrasse
Diamondback goby
Blue spot jawfish
Fire fish x1 he murdered the other one so now he is alone.

Still on the fence
ORA Blue mandarin

thanks for all the input

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that the sixline may compete with the mandarin for 'pods - make sure you've plenty to go 'round before adding the mandarin.

Add your butterflies before your tangs. Tangs can be a bit uppity about other tall-bodied fish in their space, and don't always welcome butterflies as new neighbors.

Otherwise ... you're going to have a pretty awesome tank!

~B.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back