Tangs in 220

Scubapro13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think this list of tangs would be ok in a 220.

I am planning on starting with 5 lyretail anthais. Then after a bit get the tangs. I also want a queen angel.

Also like 5 or 6 blue chromis

I want to quarintine the tangs but not to sure how to do 4 at the same time. I have a jbj 30 I plan on using but should I do 2 tanks for 4 tangs.

Any input would be sweet
ae69a994b884dd354e02c231357e63a3.jpg
5974c57f688925f0c96c5951df71b47e.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the sailfin will outgrow the tank as well as the blue tang. The yellow and powder would be fine. I think a queen angel will outgrow the tank pretty fast too. JMO

I would go grab a 20gL for two of the tangs. Four in the 30g will be a lot of bioload. However, really depends on size of fish.

OP
OP
Scubapro13

Scubapro13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on buying the all around 4 to 5 inches to start. Smaller the better I want to see them grow

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the larger tangs, you might think of getting a Kole tang or another member of the genus. The genus has tangs that do ok in 4’ tanks. So a 6’ tank, is nearly ideal. I have a yellow, powder brown and a Kole tang in a 6’, 300 gallon. They are doing fine.

I am not sure about a sailfin tang or the queen angel in a tank that size. I would feel better with either in a 10’, 500 gallon but I tend to be conservative. It might work.

OP
OP
Scubapro13

Scubapro13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the larger tangs, you might think of getting a Kole tang or another member of the genus. The genus has tangs that do ok in 4’ tanks. So a 6’ tank, is nearly ideal. I have a yellow, powder brown and a Kole tang in a 6’, 300 gallon. They are doing fine.

I am not sure about a sailfin tang or the queen angel in a tank that size. I would feel better with either in a 10’, 500 gallon but I tend to be conservative. It might work.
Do you think a yellow tang, powder blue, and a purple would be better? This is the biggest tank I have done and am excited to get the fish going

U

User1

View Badges
Looks like a relative new tank. I have a 210 that is also somewhat new. Single tang for me and I went with a Lt. Tang. I am not a fan of having multiple fish with similar eating habits in a unmatured tank. Just how I'm wired. If I was to add another it would be the smaller sized such has a Tommy, mimic, or Kole.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll be in the minority but I've been keeping tangs for 6 years now and I think those 4 would be perfect for your 220. Sailfin is the biggest of the bunch but not as much of a back and forth swimmer (I've had two so know from experience). I would QT the yellow and Blue together and get them established first. Then do the PB ( I'd stick at 3" or so as this will be your most aggressive fish) and Sailfin together with the Sailfin about an inch bigger and you'll be golden. I think your tank is plenty big for this group.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a Gem, powder brown, two spot bristletooth, and blue in a 4.5 foot waterbox pro. Granted the blue will be moved to my 6.5 foot 300 gallon in a few months, but they all get along great. The powder brown is the biggest and the boss of the tank for sure but there is plenty of rock to graze on and plenty of food to go around.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 104 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.4%
Back