Tangs in a 60gl Cube?

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....my 60gl Cube is finished cycling and I want to start adding fish.

Currently I have a 180gl sps tank and my fish choices are pretty much unlimited due to the size. However, when doing some homework on selecting fish for my new 60gl build I noticed that most tangs require 75gls+. I really want a yellow and blue tang for my 60gl Cube. I was planning on getting the smallest ones I can find (1-1.5").

So, are tangs suitable for a cube as small as 60gls?

Many thanks for all replies...............

acrosps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 60 cube and have a small purple tang doing excellent.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would stick with a tomini or a mimic in a 60 cube if they are intended to stay long term in there. Again, IMO. I've seen yellows, purples, and scopas living happy within 55's for years. GL

tike

zoo keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a yellow tang in my 60 gallon cube for 3 years now with no problems.

aquabull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would stick with a tomini or a mimic in a 60 cube if they are intended to stay long term in there. Again, IMO. I've seen yellows, purples, and scopas living happy within 55's for years. GL

Dead on! Brilliant! While it is true most, if not all tangs will eventually be too large for that water volume (also aquascaping adds/detracts as well); it may take three or more years to reach "critical mass". If fed well, they all grow pretty quickly, and if starved, they nearly all start nipping at corals for sustinance...catch22. i say enjoy the fish, and provide the best water you can. You will do well!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo in my 70gal cube 30x30 with no issues... She's about 2" right now and a little skittish but super healthy and had her since she was 3/4"... I'm sure in a year or so I will have to move her but for now all is well...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo in my 70gal cube 30x30 with no issues... She's about 2" right now and a little skittish but super healthy and had her since she was 3/4"... I'm sure in a year or so I will have to move her but for now all is well...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
turfster26

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions.....I never thought about a Mimic tang, it's been a while since I've had ne of those.

I may "try" a very small blue hippo and yellow tang and if they get too big I will simply transfer them to my established 180gl sps tank.

I was thinking of stocking the 60gl Cube with: hippo & yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, 5-7 dispar anthias, royal gramma, mystery wrasse and possibly a longnose hawkfish.

I've only owned tanks 180gl and larger, so this 60gl Cube is an awesome experience for me and our billiards room. It is coming out pretty slick.

Many thanks again..............

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a 1" hippo. Had one in my 55 then same fish moved to 60 cube and grew to 3-3.5" after 2 years.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back