Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have new fish coming and would like to know if my QT plan is sound:

Striated Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Valentini Puffer

1. Observe all fish for a few days in my 20g QT. Establish all are eating properly.
2. Start General Cure treatment as per @Humblefish instructions (7 day between doses)
3. Remove Puffer and place in Observation. (I don't want to expose him to step 4)
4. 30 day Copper Power treatment for Tangs using Hanna checker.
5. Sometime in that month introduce puffer to DT so he can get established.
6. Introduce Tang Gang when copper complete.

Obviously, I dont want the puffer exposed to Copper. Hopeful that the observation in addition to General Cure will be sufficient for him.

Thanks ya'all!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to watch the ammonia level in a 20 gallon with 3 tangs and a puffer. Water changes will be the way to deal, since you can't combine Prime with Copper.

I wouldn't personally do 30 days of copper, although it sounds like a lot of folks do that. Half that length should be plenty, assuming the fish will go into a display without disease.

How do puffers handle General Cure? What about using Tank Transfer Method on the puffer, to at least cover ich?

OP
OP
Roman009

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to watch the ammonia level in a 20 gallon with 3 tangs and a puffer. Water changes will be the way to deal, since you can't combine Prime with Copper.

I wouldn't personally do 30 days of copper, although it sounds like a lot of folks do that. Half that length should be plenty, assuming the fish will go into a display without disease.

How do puffers handle General Cure? What about using Tank Transfer Method on the puffer, to at least cover ich?

Great call on the ammonia. Will watch it like a hawk. Running at least one AQ70 seeded with bio and have another one ready to go.

I don’t know much about the puffer handling the General Cure. Hoping someone with experience chimes in. TTM on puffer is also a solid plan.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some puffers don't like treating with General Cure. It may put off a bit their eating. But usually rebounds as the GC dissipates from the water column.

I have put puffers through Copper Power. Very slowly raising the levels to 2.0 over 5-7 days or so. Small doses spread out AM, PM is the best so you can watch for a copper sensitive fish. But there is a risk with puffers, make no mistake about it. Watch for lethargy, not eating, labored breathing; all signs of copper sensitivity.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back