Tangs

HOLYREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 210 and want to know if I can keep the following tangs together. I will be adding them all at the same time but my main concern is the salfin & gem.
the salfin is currently in QT
Gem is in an established tank for over 2 yrs
Black Exstablished tank for 3 yrs
Vlamingi already owned
Vlamingi tang
Black tang
Gem tang
Salfin tang

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to offer much useful advice without some sense of relative sizes. My sailfin has rarely been aggressive to newcomers. I’d worry more about the black and the gem. My black is a complete wimp. Of the zebrasoma, the purple is the most problematic .... but that’s not on your list. FWIW, a vlamingi will quickly outgrow a 210 in case you didn’t know. Mine outgrew a 450.

OP
OP
H

HOLYREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to offer much useful advice without some sense of relative sizes. My sailfin has rarely been aggressive to newcomers. I’d worry more about the black and the gem. My black is a complete wimp. Of the zebrasoma, the purple is the most problematic .... but that’s not on your list. FWIW, a vlamingi will quickly outgrow a 210 in case you didn’t know. Mine outgrew a 450.
Thanks for the response. I’ve had a Vlamingi before and had to give him up after 2yrs due to size...
wait it outgrew your 450?
That’s great to hear I’ll probably stick to the gem, salfin and black tang then thanks again

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..... wait it outgrew your 450?

From my perspective it did, yes. 15" and just wreaked havoc …..

IMG_1037.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting more than 1 vlamingii, more than 1 black, and more than 1 gem?

Or is it just three tangs now...sailfin, gem, and black? I would skip the vlamingii, and mix up the Genera a bit.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vlamingi and Sailfins get way too big for your tank.
According to live aquaria sailfin tang needs 180g. OP said he has 210.

OP I think there is no easy answer. I also love tangs and try to have tangs dominated DT. I am afraid to buy new tangs because it is a lottery if you are not super experienced. I don't know where do you live and how big you community is but maybe just try and if it won't work you can find a new home for bullied fish.

I read in few places that a rule of thumb is that don't keep the same family, the same latin name. For instance it is not a good idea to have both purple tang ( Zebrasoma xanthurum ) and yellow tang ( Zebrasoma flavescens ) - the same "first name".

Back