OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also pass on the orange shoulder tang. I would consider them up there with nasos when it comes to size. I have seen specimens at the steinhart aquarium that are probably pushing a foot and a half.
Yes I realized that and was like oh yeah not going to work. I narrowed it down to my blue tang, a lavender tang and a convict tang

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I realized that and was like oh yeah not going to work. I narrowed it down to my blue tang, a lavender tang and a convict tang
Seems like a much better list! lavender tangs are super underrated IMO. Make sure you feed the convict a ton as well, they have a very high metabolism and can be difficult to keep at a healthy weight.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a plan to re-home or your lfs will take them back you can put whatever you want in the 180. I have a blonde naso I've had for 2 years.Got him as a juvenile and he's just now getting to 4.5-5 inches in a 5ft. tank. It will also depend on your rock work as well. Lots of taller caves and open area to swim is needed. As soon as I feel he's distressed I have a place I can take him and start with another juvenile. No reason at all you can't go with juveniles and enjoy them as long as you have a plan to re-home when needed.

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the comment above. Naso tang takes years to reach a size that would be too large for the tank which is more than enough time to upgrade or give them up to someone with a big tank. People are always looking for larger specimens so IMO it’s fine to raise juvenile tangs and take them out when they are too large.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the comment above. Naso tang takes years to reach a size that would be too large for the tank which is more than enough time to upgrade or give them up to someone with a big tank. People are always looking for larger specimens so IMO it’s fine to raise juvenile tangs and take them out when they are too large.
9/10 of the reward is watching them from from juvenile .
I don’t personally think I would ever buy another large adult fish .

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 125 is for too small for both the naso and the blue in my opinion. Blue would work in the 180. The rest of the stock looks good to me.
I agree and would buy the 180. If the floor is a concern then I would brace up the floor from underneath in the basement. I would assume that the tank would be on the first floor.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a plan to re-home or your lfs will take them back you can put whatever you want in the 180. I have a blonde naso I've had for 2 years.Got him as a juvenile and he's just now getting to 4.5-5 inches in a 5ft. tank. It will also depend on your rock work as well. Lots of taller caves and open area to swim is needed. As soon as I feel he's distressed I have a place I can take him and start with another juvenile. No reason at all you can't go with juveniles and enjoy them as long as you have a plan to re-home when needed.

You would be very surprise to see how dash fish grow under optimal condition. In small tanks fish will not grow as they should. They seem to me perfectly happy, fat and act normal as far as I can tell but the grow squirt when they are move to larger size tank is un deniable.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Other.

Back