Tank all Cloudy This Morning

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been going really smoothly, maybe too smoothly. I woke up this morning to a very cloudy tank, not milky cloudy, but hazy enough to make me think something happened.

I have 1 yuma, 3 types of zoas, frogspawn, and a duncan in my tank. Lots of snails and some pitho crabs.

Only thing I could think of it being is that something spawned like a fish or coral. All my fish I've had for a long time except my Kole Tang which I've only had for a week but seems happy and they'ved never spawned like this. I'm thinking that my zoas spawned overnight for some reason. Is there any reason to be concerned? My skimmer was going crazy as well. I did a 20% water change which was as much as I had available and threw in some polyfilters. Any other advice?

OP
OP
Boochika

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost smells like bleach has been put into the tank, but there's now way that's happened. The water doesn't smell like it typically does.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It almost smells like bleach has been put into the tank, but there's now way that's happened. The water doesn't smell like it typically does.
OK, now thats a important variable....changes things ....
I’m bumping this because you need competent help, all I’m gonna say is water change ..
OK bumping in progress....

OP
OP
Boochika

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will work on making more water right now for hopefully early morning change tomorrow.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you dose and how often? im guessing you have overdosed something (can be done even if following directions) and caused a bacterial bloom. Vibrant? microbacter7? waste away? all will cloud water and do what you describe.

tank parameters?

OP
OP
Boochika

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you dose and how often? im guessing you have overdosed something (can be done even if following directions) and caused a bacterial bloom. Vibrant? microbacter7? waste away? all will cloud water and do what you describe.

tank parameters?

I haven't dosed anything since I switched tanks a month ago. Only kalk in the ATO.

Temp: 78.5
PH: 8.05
No3: 3
PO4: .02
Ca: 445
MG: 1350
Salinity: 1.0248

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember it making the tank smell? Did you do a water change after?
Not that much smell, & it cleared on its own in less than a day. That tank has a skimmer though. It happened in my nano as well. Didn’t do a water change cleared by the next day too. I was of the opinion that even though it was cloudy, the true organic mass of the spawn probably wasn’t any more than a good dose of reef roids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boochika

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seems equally cloudy this morning so I did a 40% water change. Everything seems happier after that and the corals have really opened up again. Skimmer isnt going so crazy anymore and smell isn't as strong. Tank is still cloudy though. I'm thinking something spawned. I did dose prime into the tank in case there was some sort of chlorine from the smell of it was kind of a bleach/chlorine smell.

OP
OP
Boochika

Boochika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank was still cloudy yesterday after all that, so I tried to think what it could be. I put in an acrylic light blocker in my tank a little over a week ago in my sump to block my fuge light from the pump section. I removed it last night and it turns out that the cloudiness has almost completely gone away. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or it was a direct result from the acrylic panel. I'm sure the panel is 100% acrylic, so the only possibility for the contamination could be the protective adhesive on the panel that held the paper film on the panel. I rinsed the panel off, but maybe it needed a better cleaning. I'll give it a few days and clean the panel better before I reinstall it to see if it clouds up again. I'm just glad I didn't lose anything if that was the cause.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back