OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you make your saltwater with? Faucet water? Or did you have RODI water?

The PhosGuard is probably to pull the phosphates / silicates out of the water if you do not use RODI.

Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 some people may recommend soaking whichever biomedia you are going to use in a bucket of saltwater with an airstone and add the bacteria there for a few days. This will help with your cycle.

Carbon, I only ever use to remove meds from my water, so I can't speak for that.

I do have RO/DI system here at my school and used that

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you make your saltwater with? Faucet water? Or did you have RODI water?

The PhosGuard is probably to pull the phosphates / silicates out of the water if you do not use RODI.

Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 some people may recommend soaking whichever biomedia you are going to use in a bucket of saltwater with an airstone and add the bacteria there for a few days. This will help with your cycle.

Carbon, I only ever use to remove meds from my water, so I can't speak for that.

So the life Rock pieces that are broken up that I am planning to put in the back of the tank should cycle in the Microbacter in another bucket first?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the life Rock pieces that are broken up that I am planning to put in the back of the tank should cycle in the Microbacter in another bucket first?

I've never done this, but...

Take your filter's bio-media, and place it in a 5 gal bucket (no copper) and dose Turbostart in there. After a few days you can move it back to your QT's biofilter and enough bacteria should be established by then to provide some benefit.

OR

Just put a gallon of water in the bucket with a small powerhead or even just swirl it around a few times throughout the day. Doesn't need a heater if inside. I would also put some food in there to provide an ammonia source to start feeding the bacteria.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG

We set up when our rock came in yesterday during my 3rd block Biology class. Started putting water in the tank at 11:35. as expected it was pretty cloudy. These shots were taken at 7:15 this morning almost 20 hours. I looked in and notice the rock is now covered with a silt I assume from the sand, as is the turn pump head. I will let it completely clear then figure out how to clean those off without disturbing it again. I am also considering waiting for it to clear before adding any chemicals or filtration in the back. I read somewhere that it should cycle before I add the charcoal bag that came with the tank or any other biomaterial in the middle compartment. Remember I am learning with my kids so feel free to correct if i am in error.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! After I got back into saltwater I donated my 55g Cichlid tank to my girlfriends elementary school classroom. I never would have imagined what an impact it would make on the kids. Some of the kids have been inspired to go get their own fish tanks! They help her change the water and wash the filters out they even bring in their own decorations to put in the tank. She told me that it even helps one of the special needs kids who has aggression and behavioral issues be able to calm down when he is having an episode. The kids have been doing a great job and are super into it the fish even had babies in the tank!

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the tank some time. Eventually the water will clear. You can use some type of poly filter material or felt type filter to catch the sediment as it enters the back of the tank to speed things up. As far a the micro bacteria, I don’t think there is any need to use a bucket since the tank is small. You definitely need the rocks and sand to cycle before adding fish. I second what someone said earlier in that I do not use carbon unless removing medication etc from the tank. Once the water clears up ( possibly even now), add the bottle of bacteria and let it work. You’re going to want to throw a small amount of food or a piece of shrimp to kick start the cycle. Test for ammonia and nitrite (not nitrate) every couple days. You should eventually see a spike then it will come down. Your tank is cycled once the nitrite and ammonia are 0 and then you’re ready to add life, SLOWLY! Remember a small tank like this is more susceptible to swings. Slow is key.

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a few days for the tank to clear, use this time to get the tank to the right temperature. IMO I would add the MB7(microbacter7) to your tank as per the instructions on the bottle. Dose MB7 for 3 weeks then wait until your ammonia level is at 0. When your ammonia level is at 0 add your CUC (clean up crew). Turn the skimmer and lights off while your tank cycles. I would leave the Phosgaurd and Carbon out unless your using a media reactor.

This is what worked for me :)

I suggest watching BRStv: 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube, this helped me out a lot.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I haven't installed skimmer yet as the tank came with a coralife skimmer and everything I've read is not good about this skimmer. Since it was part of the package I decided I would look for one of better quality to put in the cube. I have decided to set up a 10 gal tank I have for testing purposes with my kids and put that skimmer in that tank. The lights are on but i have no idea how i want or need to set them i just played with the timer yesterday learning. But have seen in a couple places including your post that I shouldn't have them on during this process so I will go trn those off. I also need to get a heater in the tank I think.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so awesome! I think it’s a great learning experience for everyone! Can’t wait to see the progression!! Following along [emoji3]

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I haven't installed skimmer yet as the tank came with a coralife skimmer and everything I've read is not good about this skimmer. Since it was part of the package I decided I would look for one of better quality to put in the cube. I have decided to set up a 10 gal tank I have for testing purposes with my kids and put that skimmer in that tank. The lights are on but i have no idea how i want or need to set them i just played with the timer yesterday learning. But have seen in a couple places including your post that I shouldn't have them on during this process so I will go trn those off. I also need to get a heater in the tank I think.
You definitely need a heater when you start cycling your tank, the beneficial bacteria will only grow if the tank is at a temperature of around 78°F.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiance had an independent study her senior year which was basically maintaining a 160 gallon reef ecosystem. This love of the ocean and the biology behind it led to a degree in Marine Biology and eventually becoming a veterinarian. Kudos to you for taking on something like this.

If you're accepting donations of equipment or livestock let us know!

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are Off, will have my students install the Digital thermometer and apply Micro Bater7 along with the algae cleaning magnet today in class. may wait a day or two more before having them do a water test. The tank is in a classroom where I will be moving next year it is currently unused. So the lights are only on while we are actually working on the tank it is in total darkness other than that hour or so a day now.

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular job my friend, keep up the good work!! These kids will never forget what an impact you had on them, and now they are learning the tools to start up their own tanks in the future with their own kids! ;Bookworm:D

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am accepting donations for this project and actually was told by another member to ask for the same. I am moving slowly because I ,like i said earlier, am learning as I go with my kids and I really want this to be a success that can be beneficial for years to come. If you or anyone would be happy to donate equipment, livestock, or supplies to my students project PM me and we can discuss what I have and what may be needed I am sure I need things I haven't thought of at this point. For example,I realized today that I will need a supply of salt for water changes.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An word of advice in advance. Use extreme caution when using the magnetic cleaners (especially with younger tank lovers) one granule of sand in the magnet will scratch the inside of the tank pretty easily. Maybe put a piece of masking tape or sharpie line (cleans easily with rubbing alcohol) around the bottom an inch or two from the top of the sand as a boundary. Then you can come back through with the magnet or by hand to get that last little bit. Just a thought.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok new tank issue, when putting water in inevitably some spilled down the outside of the tank. I cleaned it up with a dry rag but then later found salt crystals on the outside of the glass. so then wiped it down with a soft damp rag. Now I have salt crystals and water spots ant the glass looks horrible. How do I best clean this tank? am I over thinking, is simple glass cleaner ok?
IMG_1404 (2).jpg
on the bright side its clearing up nicely

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a spray bottle with RO and spray and wipe it down.

Or use windex and spray it on the paper towel directly and away from the tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%

Back