Tank Arrived today

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by James Hammett, Feb 7, 2018.

1. James Hammett

James Hammett Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I will look into that likely have one laying around in the chem lab here at school. I am an English/History teacher converted into science/sped teacher so I am learning as I go. could you tell me what the difference is between those two tools?

2. James Hammett

Andrew Florjancic likes this.
  3. Andrew Florjancic

Andrew Florjancic Member

4. Andrew Florjancic

Andrew Florjancic Member

Both measure specific gravity but in two separate ways. The hydrometer uses a swing arm that floats at certain levels depending on the salinity. The refractometer measures the change in direction of the light passing through the saltwater to get a specific gravity reading. In my experience hydrometers are not very accurate and if the swing arm is restricted in any way your readings will be wrong. Refractometers are much easier to read and give a more precise measurement. Also refractometers can be recalibrated if needed. I believe that the salinity probe will also have to be recalibrated occasionally but I don’t know how often.

Mikedawg likes this.
  5. James Hammett

We unboxed the Tank today at the start of class and turned the lights on to see how they look.
    IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1360.JPG

Scubafrog and scotturban54 like this.
  6. James Hammett

IMG_1367 (2).JPG I do have a question for some of you more experienced Aquariast. I bought this as a complete Reef kit. however it doesn't seem to have much filtration meda with it. There is a small sponge in the wet dry section by the pump, a small bag of charcoal and a charcoal (I think) cartridge. that lays on top of this tray? is this really sufficient for a saltwater
    reef tank?

IMG_1364.JPG

7. Reef Box

Reef Box Active Member Build Thread Contributor

IMO depending on the number of fish etc you plan to put in the tank you'll want some kind of Bio-Media in that section. I personally would go with Marinepure Ceramic Bio-balls (or similar) or some kind of dry/live rock rubble so that beneficial bacteria will have somewhere to multiply, break down waste and ammonia.

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

My wife did the same thing in her classroom a few months back. There’s a grant program that funds teachers who want pets in the classroom. It really is a great way to share our hobby with everyone.
    [​IMG]

9. James Hammett

thanks . Also I see you are tagged as a member of Louisiana Reef Club. I am from Louisiana although I am in Kansas now. I taught in New Iberia for a number of years.

10. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Active Member Louisiana Reef Club

Yes sir born and raised in Louisiana. I’m not sure I could ever leave the state for good...hopefully you were able to find some good southern cooking near you.

11. James Hammett

I brought my wife... were covered. been up here since 2010.

Grey Ghost likes this.
  12. Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws Active Member

I think the idea of a Reef Tank in a Highschool Science Lab is great. The chemistry necessary to start and maintain a Reef Tank is really extensive. I do not know what your plans are for the tank but I can see many possibilities and learning oppertunities. If I were you I would put a call out here in R2R as well as to the manfacturers for various test kits, I know that I would be happy to send you one of my fresh as yet unused API Master Reef Kits and I have no doubt there are others who would do the same.

Testing and understanding the cycle and the chemistry of the reef enviroment would be a great way to brng practical real world chemistry and biology into the classroom, allowing the students to test the water and understand the chemistry which goes into the test as well as the results will make the lessons far more interesting than sinply a book and lecture.

13. James Hammett

Thanks for the encouragement and offer of the test kit. I would gladly accept any help I can get

14. Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws Active Member

Please feel free to PM me with your shipping instructions.

15. James Hammett

ok I got some of rock today, it is mostly broken up pieces damaged in shipping I guess. Can I use this in the back of the tank in that middle compartment as a bio filter instead of buying bio balls or what not? IMG_1380 (4).jpg

16. Reef Box

Reef Box Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't see any issue with using the rubble size pieces in the back of the tank. Anything to add more surface area for beneficial bacteria. Be careful using too small of pieces that may restrict water flow or trap detritus causing ammonia issues.

17. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

The other option you might think about is gluing them together to make a structure

18. mckinleyw

mckinleyw AIRBORNE REEFER R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

following along. Love seeing the young crowd getting into reefing.

19. James Hammett

IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1394.JPG IMG_1393.JPG

Ok kiddos and me couldn't wait any longer. we put the rock we had in the tank put sand in and added water. followed the set up guide that came with the tank. Yes its cloudy understandable then realized after the kids left there are many things that came with tank that are not covered in the setup guide. When do I install skimmer? What do I do with the Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 250 ml, Inland Seas 6 oz Activated Carbon, Seachem PhosGuard, 100 ml, bagged. when do I put these things in do I let it cycle before adding filtration? What is the Phosguard? or the microbacter? this just got interesting guess I have some reading to do. we had 12 pounds of sand and about 4 pieces of rock so figured we could add more of those in the next few days as it cycles.

Scubafrog, Mark Gray and Cherub like this.
  20. Josh Kraft

Josh Kraft Well-Known Member

What did you make your saltwater with? Faucet water? Or did you have RODI water?

The PhosGuard is probably to pull the phosphates / silicates out of the water if you do not use RODI.

Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 some people may recommend soaking whichever biomedia you are going to use in a bucket of saltwater with an airstone and add the bacteria there for a few days. This will help with your cycle.

Carbon, I only ever use to remove meds from my water, so I can't speak for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted